Status: Updates every day or every few days (:

Let The Walls Break Down

Chapter Nine

I woke up at around three in the morning to some strange noise. I rolled over and looked at Alex- he seemed to be the source. He was sitting up on his bed of blankets, grumbling to himself. I struggled to hear what he was saying, but he noticed I was awake before I could decipher it. “Jackalope ? You awake ?” I scooted closer and nodded. “Sorry, I woke you up didn’t I ?” I nodded again, and he sighed. “I just had a weird dream, go back to sleep.” I couldn’t find my board in the darkness to protest, so I reluctantly agreed. I faked being asleep, but I laid awake listening to Alex. He wasn’t whispering to himself anymore, but he kept rustling around. He finally settled down over an hour later, and by now I was wide awake. In his unconscious state, he moved closer to me. He was still fidgety even in sleep, and he rolled over half on top of me. His arm slung over my chest, and I stifled a giggle. What was he dreaming about ?

I eventually fell asleep, secretly happy to be in Alex’s arms.

I woke up in the morning to someone snoring softly in my ear. It was a little after 10 o’clock, and I knew for a fact my parents both had to work this Saturday. So that left the boy on my side all to myself. Alex’s arms were wrapped around my middle, and his head was buried between my neck and shoulder. His hair was a mess and his mouth was slightly open, and I just lost it. Laughter shook my body, and I started wheezing from trying to suppress it. “Agghaamm.” Alex mumbled into my neck, making me laugh even harder. Finally I was laughing out loud, and Alex had woken up. He removed his arms and scooted back, sitting up. “Whaa ?” I was still laughing, laying down clutching my stomach. Alex started chuckling along with me, presumably because of my own fit. He climbed on top of me, straddling my hips, tickling my sides. My face heated up and my heart rate picked up speed, but I still couldn’t stop giggling. “Why are you laughing Jacky ?” *more tickles* “Huh ? I can’t hear you.” I stuck my tongue out at him, and signaled him to stop. “Can’t breathe.” He rolled off, “Sorry, I couldn’t resist. And now I know your weakness.”

I made Alex a big breakfast, and afterward I tried teaching him some sign language. For the most part, he was getting the hang of it. In the midst of that, Alex’s phone beeped. He checked it and said “Shit, Jack, I have to go.” He grabbed his stuff and practically shoved out the door, “Thanks for letting me stay the night Jack, I’ll text you and explain later.” I watched him leave, dumbfounded.

Now I was alone and bored on a Saturday. Nice. My room still smelled like Alex, and there were traces of him everywhere. I couldn’t deny that I had feelings for him, and I missed his company when he wasn’t around. He was one of the only friends I’d ever had, and he was definitely my best friend. I grabbed my house keys and went for a walk to distract myself.

I walked into town, then through town, then past it. I just kept walking until eventually, I didn’t even know where I was. I was on the outskirts of town and nothing looked familiar; in fact, everything looked kind of…shady. I stopped and tried to determine where I had come from so I could retrace my steps. I was focusing so hard that I didn’t hear the footsteps behind me. I was shoved to the ground, and I hit my knees hard. Whoever it was kicked me down so I was on my side. I tried deflecting the blows, but I was too surprised and too alarmed to do much but pray for it to be over. I couldn’t yell even if I wanted to, my voice would be too weak to make anything louder than a whisper. I lay there in silence as the mysterious attacker kicked me, punched me, and hit me until I was black and blue and bleeding. I tried getting a good look at the guy, but he was wearing all black and eventually my eye was too swollen to see out of. After successfully beating me, he ran off- but not after spitting on me.

I laid there for at least an hour, hoping someone would come along and find me.
Eventually I mustered the strength to stand, slowly and painfully. I dragged myself back through town, earning quite a few pitying stares on the way. Apparently no one figured out that I needed help, so I was left to struggle on my own. I cursed myself for being this way, for being so shy and mute that I couldn’t even function, not even when I needed help. The first place I could think of going was the music store, it was closer than my house and I knew the people who worked there. Somewhere along the way I started crying through the unbearable pain. I was actually dripping blood, and every move hurt worse than the last. Finally the store was in sight, and I stumbled to it, wishing I could just pass out from the pain already.

I crashed through the door, falling in a heap onto the carpet.
♠ ♠ ♠
ooh, action ! I still need help if you're in the Of Mice & Men family, so contact me on tumblr @caraphernellic

Shout-out to the girl who contacted me after the last chapter, thanks for reading and for helping ! You rock !