There Was Me and You

The Begining

Little sisters are always following around their older brothers. Older brothers always find it annoying and wish they wouldn’t, sometimes they even took extreme measures when trying to convince their siblings it was a bad idea. Myla was no different and neither was her brother Chris. It was the middle of winter, school was out. The boys just wanted to play hockey and the pond was the perfect place, it was a little harder for their parents to see exactly what was going on but close enough they could see the children’s figures. Chris thought today was the perfect day, and he hoped the last that Myla would follow him. He had convinced Myla to be their goalie, being one of the older boys at the wise age of thirteen no one took a second that this could go bad for nine year old Myla except for one person, Matt.

Matt was the newest one out on the pond and one of the youngest he stayed quiet. Matt played but kept looking over his shoulder to make sure Myla was okay. It caused him to give up the puck, get knocked down, run into his team mates or the other team. He had seen it happen but there was no way to stop it. One of the boys had found a hole in the ice causing him to trip, falling right on top of Myla. She never saw it coming and between her body and the other, stick and the ice they would find out later that afternoon her wrist was broken. Matt saw her trying to hold in the tears and pulled her up. He would help her get back to the house and spill the whole story to Myla and Chris’s mother.

That day started what would become a friendship that could withstand almost everything thrown at it. Matt was the one constant in Myla’s ever changing life. She was always around rinks for her brothers games and Matt’s, she watched him climb the ranks in junior hockey until they were both drafted. She was good at watching, picking up on little things beyond who was on a hot streak. In 2005 Matt found himself drafted by the Canadians but he would go to play for the Hamilton Bulldogs for the next few years. An hour up the road Myla was going to school taking classes in Journalism with a focus on being a sports writer. But it wouldn't be until December 2008 when Myla and Matt’s story really began.