There Was Me and You

The Middle

Myla had just moved in with her brother, it was Chris’s second year playing for the Atlanta Thrashers. Myla had just gotten her degree the spring before but somewhere along the past two years she lost contact with her best friend. As the Thorburn siblings grew up they grew closer, they had each other’s backs, they had one rule for living together; teammates are off limits.

Preseason quickly rolled into regular season and before anyone knew it it was December. It was the last home game before the Thrashers would leave for a week long road trip. Myla was pulling her brothers jersey over her head while looking around the condo for him. Tonight there was going to be the biggest surprise of her life and she didn’t know it.

“Chris I hope you realize when you return this place is going to be a winter wonderland”

He shook his head laughing after Myla swatted at him for ruffling her hair

“Im sure it will be Lala, just please don’t go overboard”

“So I should cancel the snow maker delivery for tomorrow morning” she gave her brother a grin before darting off to grab his keys and leave for the arena.

“Why I am not surprised”

A few hours later Myla was sitting with a few of the other families getting ready for the game to begin. Myla was talking to Abbe, Kari Lehtonen’s girlfriend, about her ideas for decorating the condo and maybe convincing Chris of inviting some of the guys over for Christmas since there would not be enough time to leave town. With three and a half minutes left in the first period the whole arena let out a collective sigh, Montréal had scored first. Moments later the announcement of who the goal scorer was, Matt D’Agostini, would stun Myla into silence. She didn’t know what to think as her emotions took over. Myla was still lost in thought during the third period when Her brother netted a goal, one for the record books too.

As soon as the game was over she was out of her seat faster than anyone had ever seen and on her way to the locker rooms. As soon as she found the visiting teams locker room Myla stopped one of the Canadians equipment staff to try and get a message to Matt. A player first goal is a big deal, getting a win with your first goal is even better. Leaning on the wall out of the way of the press and workers Myla waited, almost giving up when she heard his voice, scratching the back of his neck

“Is it really you?” Matt asked

Myla didn’t care that he probably hadn’t showered yet; she got to him as fast as she could and threw her arms around his neck.

“Yes.” She pulled away just enough to see his face “I couldn’t believe it when I heard your name. All I knew was I had to see you”

It didn’t take long for Matt to wrap her into an even tighter hug, telling Myla how much he missed her, wanting to know what she had been up to the past few years only to have a teammate break up the reunion. He had to shower and get on the buss, they were flying back to Montreal that night.

“Give me your number, I'll send you a message and we can talk. Then next time you plan on being in town I can see you” Myla took her cell phone out of her pocket and handed it to him. She wanted more time with him but understood there really wasn’t any tonight. For now she would take being able to talk to him and look forward to going home after the season and spending as much time as she could with Matt.

Myla and Matt got to see each other again twice, Once in January and Once in March. She would meet him at the teams’ hotel as soon as he was free to do his own thing and leave once curfew hit. Myla had even convinced Chris to fly her up to Montreal for games 3 and 4 of the first round of the playoffs. While the outcome was one no one wanted, the Bruins sweeping them in four, Matt learned one thing from it. He wanted Myla at his side for everything, good and bad.