‹ Prequel: The Fear Is Paralyzing

Our Secret Hiding Spot

Dix

Quinn paced back and forth in Sidney Crosby's bedroom. She looked around, wondering how many women had been in there. She was trying to think of anything but her nervousness. She wasn't nervous about marrying Kris. She knew she was ready for that, and she couldn’t imagine her life without him. No, it wasn't the person she was marrying that was the issue, it was the wedding itself.

They had been so careful to keep the group of people who knew about the wedding small. They didn't want to take the chance of anyone outside finding out about the wedding. The last thing Quinn or Kris wanted was paparazzi there to ruin the day. And, they especially didn't want Dean or Corinne to show up. They might be as bad as paparazzi in some aspects.

Quinn inhaled deeply before slowly letting the breath out. "Nervous?" Dani asked her with a smile.

Quinn shrugged her shoulders. "I just don’t want anything ruined, you know?" she asked her, though she knew Dani already knew. Dani had been a saving grace for this wedding. Both her and Claire had pulled through and planned this whole thing and gotten everything ready in such a short period of time. They joked that they were so focused on the wedding itself that they didn't have time to throw Quinn a bachelorette party. While Quinn had been perfectly fine with that, Dani had assured her that she would definitely have one before her other wedding.

"You know Sid's got this place covered. No one's getting in," Claire said from behind Quinn, as she walked up and put her hand on Quinn's back. "He's got more security than the freaking president!" she exaggerated. Sid did have a lot of security, though, and Quinn knew he was taking every precaution to make sure no one outside of who was invited was getting onto his property while the wedding was in progress.

"I saw Kris," Dani said, changing subjects to try to get Quinn's mind off of worrying about outsiders getting in.

Quinn grinned at her. "How did he look?"

Dani laughed. "I'm sure I can't even do his looks justice," she told her. "You'll be happy, though," she added.

"I'm already happy," Quinn replied sincerely.

Claire grabbed the necklace that was sitting on the bed and had Quinn spin around so she could help her put it on. "It's about time you two get married," she said. "We've all been waiting on it since you got together. I remember you talking to me when you first met him, before you actually started dating him," Claire recalled with a smile, thinking back to a couple years before when Quinn first inherited the team. "He was the one guy that was really nice to you. He was teaching you about hockey."

Quinn chuckled. "I really was clueless about the sport," she remembered, glancing over at Dani. "You wouldn't believe how little I knew," she said, not having known Dani at that time. "The guys on the team all made fun of me, and they didn't want me to keep the team. They didn't want me to be the owner. Kris was the only one that was nice to me. He just wanted to help me," she smiled. So much had happened in the past couple of years, and she couldn't believe how much she had changed as a person.

"And now you're marrying him," Dani spoke. "You two really are perfect for each other, you know? I remember when Tyler first found out you two were dating. He came home from a road trip and was telling me how Tanger was with the new owner," she chuckled at the memory. "From the way he had talked about you before, I thought Kris was insane. But, then I got to know you, as we all did, and I see why Tanger fell in love with you."

Quinn reached over and gave her a hug. "Thank you. Thank you for giving me a chance and for being one of my best friends now," she told her before turning towards Claire and giving her a hug as well. "And thank you, Claire, you've been there for me for as long as I can remember. And, you've had to deal with everything with Kris and me, and I can't thank you enough. I love you," she said, pulling both girls in for a group hug.

"What do you say we go get you married?" Dani suggested, and Quinn nodded her head, all of her nerves disappearing.

Dani and Claire made their way out to Sid's backyard, while Quinn stayed just inside, waiting on her time to walk down the aisle they had created. She moved the curtain slightly to peek outside. She saw Kris and Tyler standing at the front. She couldn't help but notice how handsome Kris looked. She still remembered the first time ever meeting him. She had ran away after meeting the team for the first time and embarrassing herself in front of everyone, and he had found her. If she was honest with herself, she had fallen for him right then, though she wouldn't realize until later how special he was.

She couldn't believe how they had transitioned Sid's back yard into a wedding in such little time. Dani and Claire had made sure everything was perfect.

She smiled as she watched Claire get Riley ready to walk down the aisle with her basket of flower petals. Her little niece was getting so big, and before she knew it, Anna would be growing up, too. "You ready?" she heard a voice say from behind her, and she turned around, nodding her head, seeing Mario standing there.

"Thank you for walking me down the aisle," she told him with a big smile on her face. She couldn't thank him enough. He had become such an important part of her life. "Thank you for everything you've done for me these past couple of years."

Mario's lips turned upwards. "Quinn, you don't realize how much you've done for me as well," he commented.

Quinn furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. "What have I done for you?"

"You've come in and brought this brand new light to the team. I know you've had some rough patches from the beginning, but you overcame all of that, and I am honored to share ownership of the team with you."

Quinn was speechless. She couldn't imagine him saying more meaningful words to him. Without hesitation she hugged him tightly. "Thank you," she told him, not knowing what else to say.

As they separated, he smiled down at her. "I feel like I've watched you grow so much in the past couple of years, both with the team and personally. I can see how happy you are with Kris, and I wish you the best of luck."

"I'm sorry for the drama I've brought to the team, from Dean to being with a player to not knowing if I was going to keep the team or not," she apologized. They hadn't really talked about this since she had decided to officially keep the team, and she didn't know why she was bringing it up now, but she felt like it was the right time.

"Everything has turned out well," Mario stated. "I'm sure we'll have more issues, every team does, but we've gotten through it so far. And, whatever happens, just know I'm always looking out for your best interests."

She could see the look in his eye and know exactly what he meant by that. He was looking out for her when dealing with Kris and his contract with the Penguins. Once again, she didn't know what to say, so she offered him another "thank you" before turning to look out the window.

"I think it's about your time," Mario observed as Dani was finishing up her walk down the aisle. He reached his arm out to link it with Quinn's as someone on the outside opened the door to the backyard to reveal Quinn and Mario to the crowd.

She saw the look on Kris's face immediately. He had a big grin before biting his lip. She could tell he was happy, as was she. She slowly walked with Mario as everyone turned their attention towards her, not that she noticed. Her eyes were locked with Kris's.

Just as she reached him, Mario gave a quick kiss on the cheek before letting her step next to Kris, who was beaming at her. "Ladies and gentlemen," Evgeni Malkin's voice rang out, and for the first time, Quinn noticed him standing there at the front of the aisle. He looked dashing in his tuxedo, and she was happy that Kris had found him to officiate their wedding. She knew it wasn't going to be a traditional vow ceremony, but not a whole lot about this wedding was traditional. "We're here today for Kris Letang," Evgeni continued. Quinn wondered how many times he had practiced his English for this. "And Quinn Layman to marry. Quinn is owner of the Penguins, which is how they met," he continued. Quinn smiled at Kris as the Russian kept talking. "I've never seen two people more in love. I'm very happy for them, as we all are. They were meant to be. Now vows."

Kris nodded his head as he looked in Quinn's eyes, forgetting about everyone else there. "Quinn, you know I fell for you right away. That first day I met you, you were just this incredible woman who may not have known everything about hockey, but she wanted to try, and just wanted a chance. I fell more in love with you with every lesson of ours. I can't tell you how happy I am that you want to be my wife. I love you with my whole heart, and I want to spend the rest of my life trying to make you as happy as you've made me."

Quinn tried to hold back the tears as she smiled at him. She had to admit, she thought he might say his vows in French, but Quinn was happy he chose English so she could understand him. "Quinn?" Geno prompted.

"I'll never forget that first day that I met the team, and I met you. I wanted to run away and never come back, but you kept me there. And, you've kept me there ever since. You've helped me grow in so many ways besides my hockey knowledge," she said with a soft laugh. "You've shown me what it's like to really love someone and to have someone that loves you with everything they are. I might not know what our future holds for the two of us, but I know we'll face it together. I love you, and I can't wait to spend the reset of my life with you."

"Ring time!" Genos exclaimed, and the two got the rings out. "Tanger, do you take Quinn?"

He smiled at the Russian's broken English. "I do."

"And Quinn, do you take Tanger?"

"I do," she smiled, slipping on the ring.

"Then you two are married. Kiss the bride!" Geno announced.

Kris leaned forward, putting his hand on the back of Quinn's neck, and kissing her, ignoring the cheers and whistles .When he pulled apart, both were beaming, and Quinn leaned into him as he wrapped his arm around her. She turned around to see everyone standing up for them, and she couldn't have been happier.

"Now let's eat!" she announced with a laugh as she and Kris walked back down the aisle together to the other side of Sid's backyard where the food was set up. Dani's friend had pulled through with catering the meal, and they had met the owners of The Cupcake Shoppe, who had been ecstatic to make cupcakes for the wedding. Quinn had thanked them again before the wedding, asking them to keep the news that they were making the dessert for Kris Letang's wedding. She had liked the two women, who immediately agreed to keep their lips sealed.

She walked over to Dani, who immediately was going for the dessert, and she laughed. "You've got the same idea that I do," Quinn told her, grabbing a couple of different cupcakes.

She looked at one of the owners, Reagan, smiling. "These are going to be the hit of the party. Thank you again," she told her.

"Not a problem, I hope everyone likes them!" Reagan replied.

"They will," Quinn assured her as she moved on to get some other food as well. She glanced back to see Sid had followed them straight to dessert as well, and she smiled. She turned to look at Dani. "Where's Tyler?" she asked.

"Who knows, probably getting a beer or something," Dani shrugged. She didn't seem too concerned about where her husband was, as she was more into getting food. "I'm so happy for you and Kris!" she squealed. "You're married, can you believe it?"

Quinn shook her head. "No," she admitted. "But, it just feels right."

"What feels right?" she heard Kris say from behind her, and she spun around, a smile on her lips.

"Us being married," she told him. "I love you."

"I love you, too," he said, leaning down and giving her a quick kiss.

"Aww!" Dani grinned. "You two are too cute! Okay, I'm gonna go eat, and then I say we get on the dance floor!" she suggested.

Quinn laughed but nodded in agreement. "So, what do you say, Mr. Letang, you going to dance with me?"

"Only if you dance with me, Mrs. Letang."
♠ ♠ ♠
The thought of Evgeni Malkin officiating a wedding still makes me laugh :)