‹ Prequel: The Fear Is Paralyzing

Our Secret Hiding Spot

Huit

Dani hadn't believed it at first when Quinn had told her that she and Kris were moving their wedding to the following weekend. But fortunately, she had her wedding binder, and she was confident that she could put something together for the two of them. No, it wouldn't be anything outstandingly fancy, but it would be perfect for the smaller wedding that they were going to have now. They could always plan the other one to be over the top.

Quinn sighed. "Are you sure we're going to be able to make this work?" she asked. She wasn't sure what she and Kris had gotten themselves into.

"Are you kidding me? Yes, we're going to make it work. Look, here's a list of everything that we need to do," Dani told her, pulling out a sheet of paper she had written a list on. Looking at the list only made Quinn question getting everything done in time even more. There had to be at least twenty things on the list. Dani noticed her hesitation and smiled at her. "I promise we'll get this done. Look, let's start with this," she said, pointing at the third item on the list. "Flowers. Tell me what kind of flowers you want," she said.

"Lilies," Quinn said without needing time to think about it. Kris had given Quinn lilies when they first started dating, and that had been his go to flower to give her whenever he ordered her a bouquet.

Dani grabbed a pen and scribbled "lilies" next to number three. "See, we'll breeze through this!" she said confidently. "Let's talk a dress. We need to get you a dress that already fits and needs no adjustments since we don't have much time. When Claire gets here, we'll go shopping," she told her.

Quinn's phone started ringing, and she reached across to the table to grab it. "This is Quinn," she answered.

"Quinn, it's Mario," she heard him say. "I know you took the day off, but there's something important I need to discuss with you."

Quinn scooted backwards on the floor so her back was up against the chair. "Okay," she said slowly, having no idea what he was about to say to her. She hoped it wasn't bad news about Kris.

"I just got a call from Kris," Mario began, and Quinn's heart raced. What had Kris done? She told him he needed to talk to Evan, his teammates, and Tyler before making a decision about his contract. And she thought he would at least give her a heads up before talking to Mario. What if he had come to a rash decision?

"What did he say?" she asked nervously.

"He told me you're getting married this next weekend," he told her, and her stomach settled as she realized Kris hadn't made a decision without thinking about it.

"Yeah, we are," Quinn replied. "We just decided to go ahead and do it instead of word leaking out and something bad happening."

"I wanted to say congratulations and that you should just take the next week off so you can plan your wedding full time. Tanger said you're a little stressed about the wedding plans," he continued. Quinn rolled her eyes. Of course Kris would go to Mario to try to get Quinn some time off. "I think I can handle things in the office for a week, and if anything major comes up, I can always call you."

Quinn couldn't help but smile. Mario didn't know how much of a gift he was offering her. "Thank you," she told him sincerely.

"Of course," Mario said. "Again, congratulations, Quinn."

"Mario!" Quinn called out before he hung up on her.

"Yes?"

"I have a favor…a request…" she sputtered, not really knowing how best to word it.

"What would that be?" he wondered.

"Would you walk me down the aisle?" she asked.

He didn't respond for a moment and she wondered if she had been out of line asking him to do so. "Are you sure you wouldn't prefer your stepfather to do so?"

Quinn shook her head even though Mario couldn't see her. "No," she told him. "Actually, my parents aren't going to be there. They would just cause more drama," she said, knowing he would understand exactly what she was referring to. "Look, you've been there for me and helped and guided me since I acquired the team. And I couldn't think of anybody else I'd like to walk me down the aisle. That is, if you would like to," she added.

"Quinn, I would love to," Mario assured her.

Quinn smiled. "Thank you."

"Of course. Now, good luck with the wedding, and I'll see you next weekend," he told her, and this time she allowed him to hang up.

"Person to walk you down the aisle, check," Dani said excitedly as she grabbed her pen and crossed a line off her list. Quinn smiled back, starting to relax slightly. "A friend of mine owns a catering company, and I think I can call in a favor and have her cater," she revealed.

Quinn's eyes went wide. "Are you serious? You think she'd do it on such short notice? I mean, it's not huge, but still that'd be a lot to do in little time!" Catering was one thing Quinn had been worried about since Kris had sprung the idea on her. She knew caterers needed a lot of time to get everything ready and planned.

"I'll make it happen," Dani said matter-of-factly. "Cake, however, we're going to have to see what we can do. She does desserts, but not cake, so we'll have to go somewhere else for that."

"Okay," Quinn nodded her head in understanding. "Maybe we could do cupcakes instead," she suggested. "I mean, they might be easier than a whole wedding cake. There's this place downtown that opened up recently. Everytime I go by it on the way to the arena, I always want to go inside. It's a cute little place."

Dani nodded her head. "We should look into it. Do you know the name? I could give them a call and see if they're willing to even consider it. It'd be a whole lot easier if I was able to tell them that it's for Kris Letang's wedding," she chuckled.

"Don't even dare. I'd rather make my own cake with boxed cake mix before letting anyone know it's for mine and Kris's wedding," Quinn told her. "But, the place is called The Cupcake Shoppe," she said, and Dani jotted it down in her notebook.

She moved on to her next bullet point in the book. "Kris said he had someone in mind to marry you?"

"Yeah, he said the same thing to me. I don't know anyone who's ordained, so I have no idea who he knows!" Quinn told her.

"Let's not worry about that. Let's think about who you're going to invite. We need to start a list," Dani told her. Quinn started naming off people, and Dani wrote them down in her notebook. Quinn began by listing off Kris's teammates and friends. "And what about people for your section?" Dani asked.

Quinn chuckled. "Didn't you know, Dani? I don’t really have a lot of people in my life that I want to come to this wedding. I've got you and Noah and Claire and the girls. Other than that, my life is pretty much made up of the team, all of which will be on Kris's side," she stated.

"There's not really going to be sides," Dani told her. "You guys are so tangled in each other's lives. His friends are your friends and vice versa." Quinn smiled. It was true. She really had become friends with his team over the past couple of years, something she never thought was possible when she first acquired the team. She thought back to that first day she walked in and how everyone automatically hated her, thinking she didn't deserve the team since she had no knowledge of the sport. Kris was the only one that had given her a chance at first.

The front door opened, pulling Quinn out of her thoughts. "Hey girls," Claire's voice rang out. "I finished showing my art early so I thought I'd just stop on by."

"How did it go?" Quinn asked. Claire was trying to sell a couple of her pieces of art to a local shop owner.

Claire smiled. "Good, he bought two pieces," she said excitedly. "But that's not what's important. I hear we need to plan a wedding asap. So what's first on the list?" she asked, looking at Dani, knowing she was the organized one that was really taking charge.

"We need to go get her a dress," Dani replied, standing up off the floor. "Any thoughts on where to go?" she asked.

"Why not try that dress shop on Sixth Avenue?" Claire suggested, and Dani nodded her head as she helped Quinn up off the floor as well. They drove to the dress shop and were happy to see that it wasn't super busy. The last thing Quinn wanted was a bunch of people see her buying a dress and taking it home with her. That would only fuel the media fire.

Claire and Dani suggested a bunch of dresses as they looked through all of them, and Quinn agreed to try on several of them. She had just gotten into one that was shorter, landing just at her knees. She'd never pictured herself getting married in a short dress, but then again, she'd never imagined she would have a quick wedding like she and Kris were doing. As she looked at herself in the mirror, she had to admit she had taken a liking to the dress. It was a bright white strapless dress that was made of satin and tulle and had a sweetheart neckline.

She stepped out of the dressing room and looked at Claire and Dani, not saying a word herself. The looks on both of their faces assured her that this was going to be the dress for her. "What do you think?" she asked them finally.

"That is gorgeous," Claire told her.

"Totally cute and sexy and everything you could want in a wedding dress, but it's not like the typical wedding dress, but it's perfect," Dani rattled off.

"Not the typical wedding dress, but we're not having a typical wedding, are we?" Quinn said with a smile on her face. She spun around looking in the mirror, and she could definitely envision herself marrying Kris in this dress. She still had her other wedding dress that she had picked out for the August wedding that was getting tailored. It was the traditional long wedding dress and would suit that wedding just perfectly, but this was the dress for their wedding next weekend.

"I say you've found your dress," Claire smiled.

Quinn nodded her head and went back into the dressing room to change out of it in order to purchase it. She had just finished putting her clothes back on when her cell phone started ringing. She stepped out of the changing room and handed Dani the dress while she dug through her purse for her phone. She saw it was Kris calling her and she picked up. "Hey babe," she said, and both Dani and Claire smirked at her, realizing it was her fiancé calling her.

"So I have some good news," he told her, his French accent more pronounced than usual, which made Quinn smile.

"Me too," she told him.

"Tu d'abord," he said, French slipping out. "You first," he translated when he realized what he had done. Quinn still meant to learn French, but she'd never gotten around to doing so just yet.

"I just found my dress," she told him excitedly. She knew he probably cared less than she did, but she was still happy about it.

"Bien," he said. "I can't wait to see it on you," he added.

"And what good news do you have?" Quinn asked as she looked to see that Claire and Dani were wandering around the shop, browsing through the dresses. Clearly, they were giving her some space and time to talk to Kris.

"I have a location and a person to marry us."

Quinn nearly squealed, happy that he had both covered. "How did you manage that? Where and who?" she asked excitedly.

"Well, Sid offered up his place," he answered. "He's got that big back yard that we can use. Since we're not going to have a ton of people it should be pretty easy to set up. And, Geno is going to marry us."

"Geno?" Quinn questioned. "As in Evgeni Malkin? He can marry us?" she wondered aloud, imagining the big Russian officiating their wedding.

She heard Kris laughing. "Oui. He got ordained over the internet last year for some other wedding of his friend's here. He's still got it, so he's willing to marry us. That is, if it's okay with you."

Quinn couldn't have been happier with the decision. She loved that everything was being so intimate and that not a lot of outsiders had anything to do with the wedding. They were going to get married at Sid's house and have Geno marry them. Plus, Mario was going to walk her down the aisle. It really was going to be a Penguins wedding. "That's perfect. Oh, and I asked Mario to walk me down the aisle. You know, since Garrett isn't going to be at this wedding. I think this is actually better. Garrett's been a good stepdad, but with all of my family drama and everything, I kinda like Mario doing it better," she explained.

"That's perfect," Kris agreed. "Well, I'll let you get back to whatever you're doing. I think my part of the wedding planning is over, so I'm going to go back home and drink a beer and relax and let you do the rest of it," he said half-jokingly.

"Text me if you go out or something so I'll know not to expect you when I get home. I think Dani, Claire, and I are going to try to get some more stuff done today, but I'll be home tonight," she told him.

"Sounds good. Je t'aime," he told her.

"I love you, too," she smiled before hanging up the phone.

Dani and Claire walked up to her just as she hung up. "Did I hear Geno is marrying you?" Dani asked with a questionable look on her face. Quinn was sure she was just as surprised as she was to find that out.

Quinn nodded her head with a laugh. "Apparently he's ordained, so yes. And, we're having it at Sid's house."

"That works perfectly!" Dani said, clapping her hands together in excitement. "We can go and check out that cupcake shop after we get out of here. But, first we need to figure out how many guests there are going to be," she said as Quinn walked up to the front to pay for her dress.

When she was finished with that, she answered Dani's question. "Definitely small. Less than fifty I'd say. It really depends on how many guys bring someone. We're really only inviting the team, and then Noah and Claire will be there obviously, with the girls in the wedding," she said. They had already decided that Riley was going to be the flower girl in both weddings. The little girl was excited to be in the wedding in August. They hadn't told her yet that she would get to do it next weekend as well.

"So yeah, fifty give or take. That will help when getting a cake," Dani spoke aloud. "Any ideas on the colors?" she asked. "Do you want it the same as the one in August?"

"I think whatever we can get, we'll take," Quinn laughed, knowing that it might be hard to color coordinate everything.

"Then let's start with the flowers, find those and get those set and then just set everything around that," Dani declared. Quinn nodded her head, starting to believe that this wedding may come together in a week after all.