‹ Prequel: Deserted Island
Sequel: Allegiance Swap
Status: yay done

Buddy Cops/Detective

Day 13: Buddy Cops/Detectives

Alex Gaskarth was the best in the business, no doubt about it. With years of experience, he was known as the best detective on the squad. Alex may not like action and excitement but he knew paperwork was extremely underrated. After all, he knew what he was doing.

Jack Barakat on the other hand wasn't so experienced. In fact he had just finished school. He couldn't wait to go out on the field, catch some criminals, maybe use his gun. He would make sure to leave a name for himself.

They were so different, the thought to make them work together was insane. So obviously, when times were hard and no one could catch the jewel thief, insane ideas were the ones picked first. In Matt Flyziks head it all made sense. Take his most experienced detective, Alex and add his most talented one Jack and he would find the criminal. He didn't expect two opposites to collide like that.

Alex was heading to another day at work when Matt, his boss approached him with a young man. "Jack, this is Alex, our best detective." Alex smiled automatically wondering who this Jack was.

"Alex this is Jack, my most talented student. I have high hopes for him."

Jack gave Alex a easy going smile and said "Hey dude what's up?" Alex inwardly groaned at how unprofessional the man was.

"Fine." Alex replied curtly. Jack didn't seem troubled by Alex's response and simply shot him another smile.

"As you both might have heard, there is a jewelry thief on the loose. No one has managed to catch him yet." Alex nodded, knowing it would probably be his next project.

His mind was already running through all the possibilitys. He was so focused about it, he barely heard Matt say "You will work together to find him and bring him to justice."

Him? Alex Gaskarth work with that unprofessional rookie? Unheard of.

Jack gave Alex a bigger smile and said "This is going to be so rad!"

Alex stared at him wondering if he was joking. "Right." He answered, going to his desk, Jack trailing behind him.

He opened his computer and started to check the news. Jack stood behind him staring at him. Apparently the man was stealing from known jewelry stores from all over London. Every night, he'd sneak into one, dismantle the cameras, steal one precious jewel and disappear. Witnesses said he was a man in his thirties.

Alex ran through all the possibilities of his identity when he heard a crash. He flew around trying to find out its force. He found Jack looking sheepish, holding a framed picture of his dogs.

"Um I'm sorry. It fell."

"Put. That. Down. Now." Alex said, already sick of this stupid rookie.

Jack looked scared and immediately put the picture down, but not before muttering "Whats up with you bro? Take some chill pills."

Sighing Alex said "Just sit down and let me finish the case." He turned back to the computer and continued reading. Instead of sitting down, Jack stood over his shoulder for a few minutes, looking at the few pictures of the thief.

Alex was about to close them but Jack yelled "Hold up! Zoom in on his sweatshirt."

Alex ignored him. "Dude! Go back!" Jack insisted. Knowing it was a waste of time, he zoomed in like Jack wanted.

"See! It's a London University sweat shirt by the tags on the shirt and it looks new! It fits him perfectly. He must be from there. And look at his shoes. He's obviously rich, maybe from his thieving, maybe something else. They're not new though and he's been thieving for a few weeks so either he has a scholarship, his parents are rich, or he's a professor. So we've already summed it down."

Alex stared at him. This stupid rookie had managed to practically find the thief with zero work. It wasn't fair. How could that Jack be better than him. Jack gave him another smile, that in Alexs eyes looked condescending.

"Great." Alex muttered.

"So let's go to London University and find him!" Jack said excitedly.

"No." Alex answered.

He sent a quick mail to Rian, their people person, asking for a list of all the rich men in London University that weren't on campus yesterday. After a few minutes he got his list.

There were 7 men on it, along with pictures. 3 were too short, one was too tall, 1 was too thin and one was too fat. Alex had found the thief.

 Brendon Urie. He was a twenty six year old, majoring in acting and poetry. Alex checked with the campus and discovered he wasn't in the campus on each and every one of the dates the crimes happened.

Jack was practically jumping up and down yelling about how they'd find him and how they had to go now and get him. Alex wanted to take the younger man and shake him until he'd shut up.

He found the address of the University and with a sigh, drove with Jack to the University. Jack was so excited. For Alex it was just another crime, one of the hundreds he'd solved. But for Jack, this felt legendary.

Alex let himself remember his first solved crime. He solved it with Spencer Smith, the known detective. He remembered how nice and open Spence was. They became great friends and he was a huge reason as to why Alex loved being a detective. Spencer really sparked up his love to it.

Alex felt a pang of guilt. He was being the farthest from Spencer. He was being cold and rude. He didn't want Jack to start his detective days like that.

He shot Jack a tentative smile. Jacks always present smile grew. "So tell me about yourself?" Alex asked.

"Well I just finished The Smith Detective School. I love music, partying, and hanging out with my friends."

Alex gave him a small smile but couldn't help but think how different they were. Alex hated being with people, interacting with them. Parties for Alex were always such a drag. He loved reading about space and playing video games. The only thing they had that was alike was their love for music and Alex was sure Jack probably liked Metro Station or something equally annoying.

"What music do you like?"

"I like New Found Glory, Blink 182 and Green Day." Alex almost crashed his car from the surprise Jack actually had good taste.

"Really? That's wonderful! Those are my favorite bands." He said even happily.

"That's rad!" Jack said, smiling again. He did have quite a nice smile.

They arrived to London University. Alex was about to enter the lecture hall but Jack suggested looking through his house and checking his things.

Alex realized it was a better plan. They went up to his house and found after searching a bit, a bag full of jewels, all the jewels stolen. This was all the evidence they needed.

They walked to the lecture hall, asking permission from Professor Dallon Weekes. They asked Brendon to join them. Brendon insisted it wasn't him, until they showed him the bag of jewels. He turned around and started to run.

Jack immediately started to chase him while Alex called more people. Alex walked over to where Jack went and found Jack tackling Brendon.

Pretty soon, Matt came, congratulating them on their good job. He said he didn't expect them to solve it in two hours. He said that he'd like them to work together more often.

This time, Alex didn't groan. In fact he was slightly excited. Working with Jack was kind of fun and refreshing. Jack looked so happy at the thought of working with him.

Alex shot him another smile but this time it was a real one. They'd done it together. Alex knew working with Jack, while it could be unusually annoying, it would be fun.

He was looking forward to it.
♠ ♠ ♠
MISS JACKSON MISS JACKSON MISS JACKSON WHERE WILL YOU BE WAKING UP TOMORROW MORNING. New panic song yay :D thoughts about it? Or about this? Pleeeeez?