Status: I'm trying to update as often as possible! Let me know what you think?

New Kid

Chapter Four

I tried to force myself to eat over the weekend, but each time I would make myself something, when it came to actually eating, it made me feel nauseous.

So I didn't eat.

I slept amazingly well though, which I was very happy about. I did catch up with some friends and family over the phone, but if anything it just made me even more homesick and sad.
I got calls from the three boys at work, inviting me out or asking if they could come visit. But I told them I was throwing up everywhere and didn't want anyone to see me like that.

Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday went. I still wasn't back in work. I knew I had to go back, my money was getting seriously low and I needed to make rent this month. But it almost felt like I was walking through mud, everything felt very slow....and....very disconnected...

I woke to knocking on the door. It took me a few moments to realise what the noise was.
I'd fallen asleep in my old armchair and it took all my energy to shuffle to the door and open it.
"What the fuck are you playing at? You look like shit man."
"Harry...?" My voice cracked and tears started running down my face as I looked at my big brother.
"You're still a cry baby then. Oh you muppet come here." He gave me one of his big hugs - Harry was the jock type, but he was intelligent too, he was far taller than me and really muscly, so when he hugged anyone he absolutely drowned them, it made you feel safe and grounded.
"I've missed you Harry."
"You too little bro. So you'd better start talking. What's with this Mr Levine?" I froze and stepped back, stumbling slightly as I was very weak.
"Mr...Mr Levine?" Harry nodded and shut the door, pushing me onto my couch.
"Yeah, he called me last night. He said he's your boss and that you haven't been in work, he said he thinks you're very unwell, in more ways than one. So what's going on Chris?" He bashed and crashed around in my kitchen and I think he was cooking but it couldn't be bothered to get up and check. Besides, from the way he pushed me onto the couch, I don't think he wanted me up and about. You didn't argue with Harry on things like that.
"Sick, and homesick, and just tired and stressed from work."
"Bullshit. You're leaving out stuff. Come on. I didn't come all the way up here from Missouri for you to lie to me." I sighed.
"The old love life is proving a bit tricky too."
"What's happened?"
"Well Adam, Levine, he's my boss...we're sort of....I don't know what's happening." There was silence from the kitchen, aside from a few clinks and rattles for about ten minutes before Harry came back out, armed and dangerous with two plates of pasta. Mine with a considerably small serving.
"I didn't wanna force too much on you at once. As I recall this isn't the first time you've stopped eating when things got too much for you." Back when I was seventeen and starting college, I got so stressed out that I began turning bulimic. No one figured it out for months until I got freakishly skinny and had to be hospitalised.
"I'm sorry for causing you-"
"Shut up Chris. I don't mind at all about that. I'm upset that you let it get this bad before I heard about it, and I had to hear about it from your boss! Who's in love with you but still-"
"He's not in love with me."
"Look, whatever Chris, okay? I don't care about that. I care about you not being able to handle this-"
"It's just cause...look I love this job. I enjoy it and I can do it! I can do it well, I'm good at it!! But I've been staying until about ten-eleven every night because I have a lot of work to do, by the time I get in all I want to do is sleep so I don't eat then...I just haven't been making time to get food lately. Then this thing with Adam is so confusing, and my other 4 friends at work are all insanely gorgeous guys - one of whom I've done...stuff with, the other two I'm just friends with and one of them I think actually likes me!! There's just all these guys and I feel...I didn't think I was doing anything to encourage them but Adam told me when we were arguing the other day, that I'm leading them on!!! And I feel like a slut and I guess another reason I'm not eating is to punish myself for that...." Harry shook his head at me sadly and with ever so slight amusement.
"What?"
"Your innocence is gonna be the death of you Chris. Look, if you've fooled around with a few people and it didn't mean anything, then you're no different to almost EVERY SINGLE PERSON on this planet!!!" I sighed, knowing he was right.
"And I'm glad that you love your work - really I am. But you've gotta make time to get food and have a break okay?" I nodded.
"Right. Tomorrow you're going back to work, but in the meantime I'm hanging out with you and I'm making you eat more of this pasta and tell me what's going on with you and this guy." I smiled and watched him go get more food.

Harry slept on my couch, as much as I tried to make him sleep in my bed with me or let me take the couch, he wouldn't listen.

On Wednesday morning, I awoke to the smell of food. I looked at my alarm and realised I was running late.
I scrambled to my feet, jumping off the bed and ran for the bathroom but strong arms wrapped round my tiny waist and I was carried into the kitchen.
"Harry!!!"
"Shut up! No arguments!" I sighed and flopped down into a chair and Harry planted a bacon sandwich in front of me.
"I hate you."
"I bring bacon. You can't hate me." I rolled my eyes and chatted to him as we ate - he said he'd like to stay for a bit longer, to explore New York a bit more, and to buy a ring for his girlfriend Sarah, he was going to propose to her.

I got ready and as I was leaving the door, Harry chucked my flask at me.
"Fixed the coffee machine. All it needed was a new fuse you moron." I laughed at how easy it would've been to fix that, and if I had just been a little more DIY orientated, then I wouldn't have had all the disaster and drama on my first day.

I ran to work and was instantly greeted by Kim who gave me a big hug.
"Oh! Sweetie you're back!! How are you??" I smiled, feeling happier already.
"I'm good now thanks hon, how's everything been here?" She came into my office with me and I was quite moved to see several bunches of flowers and get well cards around.
"Aww bless you guys." She smiled and perched on the edge of my desk.
"It's been okay...the guys have missed you I think...Kennedy's having a rough time with Levine-"
"What do you mean?" I looked up at her.
"Look, you may not have noticed because you haven't been here long but, Levine always overlooks Kennedy. Even though he tries hard and is polite and really good at what he does, there's just something that Levine can't seem to remember-"
"Actually you're right. When he was talking to me about the meeting with Dolce and Gabbana he forgot his name." Kim nodded sadly.
"Exactly. And in the past few days, he's been putting a much bigger workload on Kennedy, and he's been doing everything within the deadlines without complaint..but then on Monday when there was a meeting with some web designers, which is Kennedy's field, Levine asked John to do it. John isn't even involved in web design." I shook my head.
"I'm gonna talk to him."
"What??!" She stood up, alarmed.
"Don't panic Kim. He might listen." She shook her head.
"He's been in a foul mood Chris-"
"That man is ALWAYS in a foul mood. I'll see you in a minute." I left my office and ran into Caleb on my way out.
"Oh hey! Chris! Good to see you back, how ya doin?"
"Good thanks Caleb, yourself?"
"Not bad, not bad at all thanks. So where you off to in such a hurry?"
"Levine." I pulled a face and he laughed.
"Alrighty, well good luck Chris, hey I was wondering actually, did you wanna go get a drink tonight? You, me, John, Kennedy and Devin?" I smiled.
"Yeah, thanks that sounds great." He smiled.
"Alright. Bye then." He waved and walked off, I continued to Levine's office, nodding and smiling at a few people as they greeted me or waved.

I knocked on his door and went in, he looked up and waited for me to speak.
"Hi...sorry I haven't been in...listen Adam I...my brother's here...he told me you called I-"
"Don't mention it. I sense that's not what you wanted to talk to me about?"

I shifted uncomfortably, a second ago I had been all guns blazing, ready to come in here and defend one of my friends. Now though, standing here in front of the man who tracked down my brother to get him to come all the way up here because he was worried about me? I felt guilty.

"I was wondering if I could talk to you about something?"
"Well you're here, we're talking. Now would be a good time. Sit down." I did and he shut his laptop - which surprised me. I couldn't help but notice the dark circles under his eyes, and his shirt looked creased, maybe where he'd rolled up the sleeves.
"It's about Kennedy." Adam frowned but nodded.
"He's quite upset...he umm...you.." I trailed off, pinching the bridge of my nose.
"Just say it Christofer, I highly doubt you'll offend me."
"Okay. You tend to...overlook him. A lot. And he's noticed, as has..everyone else. And he's quite upset." Adam shifted, looking quite surprised.
"I hadn't realised that."
"Yes. I just thought I should say something because other people are starting to notice now so.." Adam nodded.
"Indeed."
"In particular, it was the meeting with the web designers that really upset him....when you chose John over him for the meeting, as web design isn't even John's field. And apparently Kennedy's workload has been more over the last few days and you still didn't choose him...sorry-"
"That isn't your style." A slight hint of amusement clouded his eyes.
"What?"
"Apologising. Just say things as they are, I count on you for that. You're the only one who does. I'll go talk to Kennedy." I smiled, a genuine one.
"Thank you...for everything, I really do...really appreciate it Adam." He smiled, for the first time.
"I'm glad." My heart felt like it was expanding and I bit my lip.
"Okay well...umm...I'm gonna go. Thanks again for calling my brother." He nodded.
"How did you find him?"
"Did some digging." He winked and I walked out, trying in vain to wipe the stupid grin off my face.

At lunch, Kim and the boys dragged me away from my desk and into the cafeteria.
"Hey Kim, you comin' out with us tonight?" Caleb asked, she smiled brightly.
"Yeah! That sounds great! Where we going?"
"I say we leave here at five, as we're supposed to, and go get dinner together AND some drinks." Devin suggested, everyone agreed.
"You guys mind if I bring my brother?" They all smiled.
"Aww man your brother's in town?" I nodded.
"Yeah Chris bring him with you!!"
"Is he like you?" John asked, making everyone tease him, not that he meant it like that.
"Haha no, not at all. He's my complete opposite. He's a baseball player."
"Wow thats awesome!!! Well bring him along anyways...although I am very disappointed...no twins?" He joked.

The rest of the day was busy but we all left at the agreed time and went out, Harry met us there and they were all surprised at what he was like.
"Hey! I'm John."
"Caleb."
"I'm Devin."
"Hey man, god to meet you I'm Kennedy."
"I'm Kim."
"Hey good to meet you guys, I'm Harry. So, will you guys give me low down on this Levine guy?" I protested but could do nothing as they all started going on about how "Chris is his favourite!!"

When me and Harry got back to my apartment, he was quieter than usual.
"What's wrong?" He turned and smiled.
"Nothing, I'm good. Your friends are all really nice...I gotta say I wasn't looking forward to hanging out with fashion people, but they're not vain or shallow at all they're really good people. I'm glad you've found people like that here Chris." I smiled.
"Yeah I love those guys they're really nice....Caleb puts me on edge sometimes but he's usually nice." Harry nodded.
"Harry? What's wrong?"
"Nothing!! Just...I need to go back to Missouri, and I'm kinda sad cause I'd like to hang out with you and your friends more."
"Aww, well, you need to let me how it all goes with Sarah and with the game? I'll be watching on TV Harry, I'll be praying for you." He smiled and ruffled my hair.
"The team captain, you remember him? Joey? He called me and told me to come back cause we're meant to be training..."
"Okay. But you've gotta come back and visit again soon, and I'll come down and visit you and Sarah?"
"That sounds great Chris. Come here." He gave me another big hug before leaving.
"You're gonna be okay now?" I nodded.
"Yeah. Really. Thanks Harry, for coming." He nodded and swallowed.
"Right. I'd best be going, I love you bro."
"You too Harry. Bye."
"Bye!" He called back as he walked down the stairs.
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know how you think it's going? Much appreciated guys :)