To Break Free

Chapter One

"Are you excited for a fresh start, Riley?" Asked Kendra Maddox, Riley's mother, trying to end the silence the two had been immersed in for most of the thirty-one hour drive from California to their new home in Texas.

Riley meant to answer, she did, but the girl was too lost in her own thoughts. Her mother was right; the move would be a fresh start for sure. Maybe moving would be what she needed to overcome her crippling shyness and talk to someone. Who knows? Perhaps she could even make a friend. Riley found herself smiling at the thought of having a friend, but knew she shouldn't get her hopes up.

"Yeah, mom, I'm excited. Can I turn on the radio?" Riley finally answered her mother. The answer seemed to please Kendra; Riley's mother smiled and continued driving, finally allowing her daughter to turn on the radio. Though for the majority of the ride Kendra had refused to use the radio, claiming that she disliked popular music, she found herself enjoying the mindless noise. And she had to admit, her daughter's taste in music wasn't awful. That was something she had gotten from her mother, Kendra decided.

After an additional four and a half hours of driving, along with one more break for food and a restroom, Kendra and Riley Maddox arrived at their new home in Briarcliff, Texas. Kendra was so excited that Riley had to smile. The new house was just what the two ladies had wanted. It was smaller than their previous home, but it was large enough for the two to live in comfortably. The house also had the charm which Kendra had searched for and Riley immediately fell in love with. The house was a nice shade of yellow, with a large yard surrounded by a white picket fence. It was perfect, they thought. Along the front of the house was a garden and in the back yard there was a swimming pool. The house had two large bedrooms, an office for Kendra, a family room, two bathrooms, and a small kitchen—which was perfect, because neither of the two liked to cook if it could be avoided.

Truth be told, Riley really was excited for the move. They hadn't even taken their belongings inside yet and she already felt at home. Yes, Riley thought, Briarcliff was the perfect place for a new start.
♠ ♠ ♠
Slow start.