To Break Free

Chapter Two

With a week left before school started in Briarcliff, Texas, Riley decided it was time to explore. She didn't want to explore the town yet, but instead elected to wander around the wooded area near her house. She was bored, sitting in the house all day, and she doubted that there would be other people in the woods.

After alerting her mother as to where she was going, Riley made her way to the woods. Though she had never been to the area before, she found it easily; Riley was a very observant person.

Upon entering the small forest, Riley found a narrow path. As it was her first time in the area, she decided that it would be wise to stick to the path. The woods were gorgeous. There were all sorts of different kinds of trees and bushes. The path was partially covered in fallen branches and Riley found herself being forced to duck many times in order to avoid taking a branch to the face. Only once, lost in the beautiful scenery, she forgot to duck and a branch hit her on the forehead.

"Whoa there. Are you okay?" Riley looks up, startled. She could have sworn she was alone. She didn't know what to say to the stranger.

He was a boy, no, a man. Or, a teenager. Somewhere between boy and man. He looked to be about her age, maybe a bit older. Riley guessed that he was seventeen or so. He was relatively good looking, with tan skin, shaggy hair a very plain shade of brown, and almost dull green eyes. He and Riley both had green eyes.

He spoke again, "Not going to talk to me?"

Riley knew she needed to say something.

"Oh, uh, s-sorry..." Her voice was quiet, little more that a mumble.

"She can speak!" He laughed. "So what's your name? I haven't seen you before."

She blushed, "I'm Riley."

"Aiden. Did you just move here?"

Riley just wanted to continue her walk. "Um, c-can I, uh, go now? I was exploring..."

"Harsh. I'll let you go, then. See you later?"

Not knowing what to say, Riley opted for a mumbled "Uh, maybe," and continued walking.

The girl did her best to put that boy, Aiden, out of her mind. She stayed on the path until it came to an end; there was a beautiful pond. She would have loved to explore it, but that guy was sitting on a rock by the edge of the water, and Riley really didn't feel up to talking to him again. She was just proud that she'd managed to speak the first time.

Quietly, being sure not to draw the boy's attention another time, she turned around and started on her way home.