To Break Free

Chapter Six

"So Riley, how do you like the new school? Have you made any friends?" Kendra, Riley's mother asked one day. She wanted the best for her daughter and hoped that the move would be good for her. The mother could tell that her child had problems being social. She wasn't sure if it was because her daughter was afraid, shy, or if she just didn't try to make friends. In any case, she prayed that the new surroundings and much smaller population would inspire the child to finally branch out and open up to people her age. Kendra wanted the best for her daughter, she really did, and she knew that the shyness was not good for her.

"School is good. There's a nice boy named Aiden," she blushed. "H-he showed me to my classes. I met him when I was exploring. And a girl, um, Shayla, she's nice. She asked me to go to her house later today..."

Her mother beamed. Her daughter already had two friends. She was spending time with one! She did plan on going, didn't she? Kendra certainly hoped so, so she asked.

Riley replied with, "I'm not sure... I, I just don't know."

Riley's mother spent a few moments attempting to convince the teenager to spend time with her friend, but ultimately left it up to her daughter.

That afternoon Shayla sent Riley a message asking her again if she wanted to come over, but Riley postponed the invitation due to her nervousness. She felt bad, but she couldn't do it yet, see a school friend. Other than Aiden, but he hardly counted; he had never invited her anywhere, they just happened to run into each other. That was the reason that she had avoided the woods recently, although she admittedly did miss the place. It was a beautiful spot.

Shayla was a bit disappointed when Riley declined her invitation to come over. It wasn't that Shayla hoped to become best friends with the girl; she just felt the need to warn her, to protect her. She was a sweet girl and Shayla wanted to help her, to show her how bad Aiden was. He had done so much damage to her, and she had never let a guy get her down. No doubt he could do much worse to the obviously fragile new girl.
♠ ♠ ♠
I have 9 subscribers! Thank you so much, guys. This will be updated every other day, hopefully. I'm calling this Wednesday the 17th, because it's only 12:25 on the 18th. Expect an update Thursday. If you don't see one every other day, PLEASE bug me about it! I'm trying for 40 chapters by September 30th. Wish me luck!

Also, I'm trying to figure out which way to go with this I had a plan, but I got another idea... So, who do you like more so far: Shayla or Aiden? Thanks. I love you all!