Awake, My Soul

I'd hate to say "I told you so"

"Don't fall in love with me, I'll only hurt you." I told her the moment I met her. Offering a cocky smile and a helping hand to her slender figure as she was plastered by the falling snow. She smirked at me, telling me I was full of myself, and I was but I was so very, very right.

"Daniel." She whispered almost breathlessly, her voice betrayed her, letting me know about the tears banging at the gates.

My hazel eyes, kept to the horizon, I couldn't even look at her. There was nothing more breathtaking than Gabby's smile, and nothing more debilitating than seeing her cry.

"I told you Gabby, I'll only hurt you." My voice shook. Why couldn't she have listened to me? I turned to face her. I reach out and all the sudden we can't stop touching. Our body parts falling together like puzzle pieces, elbows coddling waists. She smells like honey and hope, and I'm breathless in our embrace.

"Daniel." She croaks out again and god, I love her too.

I can't love her through, or at least I can't ever let her know, if I do, I can never leave, but I will leave anyways.

"I need you." She gasps through her sobs.

"No, you're stronger then you'll ever know." I stare into her eyes, pushing a honey colored curl behind her ear.

"No," She insists, punching my chest like if she hits hard enough it'll stop me from leaving. "I do need you, you taught me how to be strong."

"And without me, you'll be free to blossom in ways you've never known." I tell her. Our foreheads touch, the space between us is so small, we're sharing the same air.

"Daniel, I love you."

My breath hitches in my throat, and for one long second I pretend that this isn't the end, but the moment does end and so does our time together.

I shot her the same cocky smile as when we first met, "I know, Gabby. I know."

I turn to leave, but she grabs me and tugs on my sleeve. Soon, she’s in my arms again, pulling me back into her irresistible presence. Her lips attack mine, she pressed hard, until our teeth clack. I freeze, I want to push back, but I can’t admit to myself let alone her how weak she makes my knees.

Her hand reaches out and her fingers tangle in mine. So many points of contact and I can feel each one of them burning.

She lets out a whimper and starts to pull away. The sound is so helpless, so sad and so soft. I hold my breath the whole time, like I could stop time by not breathing.

Finally, pulls away and repeats defiantly, “Daniel, I love you.”

I sigh, and my lips betray me, “I love you too.”

I want to stay but I'm merely sixteen and have no say. The next day I'm on a plane, watching favorite city float away.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is for this [url=http://www.mibba.com/Forums/Topic/182618/Pick-a-Band-Recieve-a-Lyric-and-Picture-and-write-a-Story-Contest/]Contest[url]

I had to use the lyrics on the summary and the picture at the top to inspire me.