Status: RISING FROM THE DEAD. 160330.

Tallulah

CHAPTER FOURTEEN: 18 JUNE 1967

My 18th birthday was the beginning of the end, except, I really didn't see it that way.

It was a bright sunny Saturday. Graduation had been the day before, and it had gone off moderately well. I wasn't valedictorian, but neither was Euphemia, and at least I wasn't in the bottom of my class. It was all fine. We had dinner at her house. Adonis was being as friendly as ever, and I was still stupidly drooling over everything he did.

I remember telling my parents that I really didn't want them to do anything major - because it was just my birthday. A nice night at home would have been fine. Euphemia had gone out of town early that morning to go run some errands for a college all the way in Boston, but she had giving me a small gift and promised to take me out to eat when she came back later that week. My parents were quiet - suspiciously so.

Momma and Albert were out running errands and left me with the twins. Since I had seen Momma making a pie and Albert trying to make me a cake - at least he was trying - I assumed I'd have my way after all. I decided I'd take the twins to the park, but I didn't want to go alone, so I told Adonis to come along. Since his break had started about two weeks before, he was free and agreed.

So off we went. I remember that it was sunny and warm and that the sky was as blue as it had ever been. I held Maxine in my lap and Kennedy kept trying to crawl into Addie's lap. And all he did was laugh and smile and ruffle his hair. And he held my hand, and I remember just looking at him and he smiled and went back to driving.

And it was fine.

We took them to the swings for a bit. People stared - like they usually did - but I ignored them because I was trying to have a good day. It was my birthday, after all. And we took them to the slide and the jungle gym and watched them play for a while. We sat on a bench and simply watched them play and laugh.

"So how's it going so far?" he asked me - he was up to something, I could tell - arm around my shoulder.

"It's okay, I guess. No muss, no fuss. I like it." He laughed and shook his head. "What? I really do like it like this. And all my sisters are off in the world, living their own lives and it's not like they're gonna take the day to come see little ol' me anyway."

"You're not little. Or old. You're eighteen and I'm sure they'd come if you hadn't made a such a big fuss about it." I make a face. "What? Maybe they'll still come. Who knows?" I sighed and leaned against him, watching the kids play. Maxine waddled over and tugged on the hem of my skirt with a dimpled grin.

"I'm hungry." She frowned and I picked her up, laughing as she curled into my shoulder. Kennedy wasn't far behind, shaking a stick as he made his way over to us. Addie picked him up and Kennedy just laughed, playing with his hair.

"I know you don't want me to get you anything, but can I at least treat you to lunch? Hm?"

"You can treat them to lunch. I can pay for myself." He laughed, nudging me with his elbow.

"You shouldn't buy yourself lunch today. It's your special day. Let me just do this, okay? Just this once."

"Just this once?" He nodded and opened the car door for me, waiting for me to get in. Maxine whimpered, hugging me tightly.

"Where do you wanna go?"

"This was your big idea." He shakes his head and laughs again, putting the top down and the radio up. We ended up going to get some hot dogs at a diner that wasn't that far away and milkshakes - double chocolate with all the fixings please - and fries. Kennedy ended up getting a bunch of ketchup on his shirt and Maxine somehow managed to get a fry up her nose, but besides that, it was pretty uneventful. I did manage to get the stain out, though. After that, we walked all along the main street and went window shopping.

I say window shopping because he stopped in front of almost every single store and asked me if I was sure I didn't want anything - it's my treat. I didn't make him buy me anything just because he didn't have to - not really - and instead walked about with him throughout the city. It's been a long day with the twins though, so at around four I tell him to take us back so I can give them a bath and set them down for a nap.

Adonis and I spend a quiet, sleepy afternoon watching films in the living room - because there's an Audrey Hepburn marathon on and I really do like her. I'm almost falling asleep, but then he asks me if I want to eat dinner with the twins and his family next door since my parents still aren't home.

"You can't eat dinner alone on your birthday." So we woke up the twins and brought them next door with us. It was quiet - oddly so - and I shot him a look, setting them down as he tossed his keyes in the bowl near the door. "What? My dad's got the grill going in the backyard, c'mon. It's nice outside, and it's too hot in here anyway."

I follow him sullenly into the backyard because it really isn't that hot inside and I don't know why he told me everyone was here if they obviously weren't - and then we walked through the sliding glass door to the backyard, and someone yelled, "Surprise!" and scared the lights right out of me.

Of course they had thrown me a surprise party. Of course. Peter and Albert had these silly grins on their faces as they hugged me and told me that I deserved it and a bunch of other things I didn't care for. (I never liked being the center of attention. Not really. Not until I met him anyway.) And Momma was just laughing and smiling with Agnes and Isabel, kissing my cheek and telling me that I was her special girl and that she couldn't help throwing me the party, and that she hoped I wasn't too upset.

I was mad - furious, even - until I saw my sisters lurking near the punch bowl. And even Winona was there, except I didn't really recognize her until she smiled and I saw that tiny little gap between her front teeth. Katie was with Trent (he looked so fidgety and nervous) and Simone and Winona were trying to hide behind the balloon arch. But I saw them anyway. Addie was just looking around and smiling - like he knew they'd be here all along - and made himself scarce, which I was both happy and sad about. I mean, I wanted to spend time with my sisters, but I wanted to be around him too - but I paid it no mind as we talked.

Katie and Trent were in town and staying with Simone. Winona was staying with us, but her things were still in Albert's car. (She was probably why Albert and Peter had been acting so secretive as of late.) Simone was supposed to come with some guy she met at work, but he had yet to show up. We talked for a bit, but then some friends from school came, amongst them Rachel, Percy, and this girl Percy had started seeing named Jane. (I didn't like Jane, but only because she was kind of rude.)

The party was going pretty well - but Addie had all but disappeared and I didn't know where he was and it made me kind of sad. Someone brought the hi-fi outside and started playing records. Of course, my sisters insist on dancing. Addie is still nowhere to be found and I feel worse and worse. Did he leave? Was it something I said? I danced a few times with Percy, once or twice with Winona and Katie, and then a few times with Simone. I was going to sit down and get some punch, but then Trent came over to me and asked me to dance.

Since I didn't want to be rude, I said yes. So we danced. Katie looked kind of mad but it wasn't like there was anything I could do. And then he was just a little too close for comfort and started asking questions that weren't exactly personal but still kind of odd. I didn't think much of it, and then I saw Addie dancing with Katie and looking at me pointedly.

And then, next thing I knew, the song was over and I was going to go get my punch - finally - but it seemed like Momma had other plans.

"Let's cut the cake!" Momma exclaimed, clapping her hands giddily.

The cake was sitting where the punch bowl once was, white and purple - because purple was my favorite color - with 18 simple white candles sinking into it. Peter stood next to me gloatingly. Apparently, he'd been working on the cake at the bakery all day. Addie and his family stood on the other side of me. I just stood there and stared at the cake - what was I supposed to wish for? - for a few awkward seconds before I just blew out the candles and wished for nothing at all.

Everyone got a piece after a few minutes, and then came the presents.

I got the usual - some records, a few shirts, some pants, a sweater or two, a few necklaces, bracelets, books. Addie hadn't gotten me anything, or at least, that's how it seemed. I smiled and thanked everyone - because that's all I could do - before we went back to dancing and eating. After I finished my cake - I got a corner piece with a flower because Peter knew me that well - I stood up to go walk around and just think. I ended up underneath the willow tree at the edge of the yard, biting my lip as I started to think.

"The party's behind you, you know," Addie said quietly, holding out a punch glass. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," I said, watching as he leaned against the tree next to me.

"Are you mad?" I shot him a look and he smiled. "If it helps, it was actually your sister's idea."

"Which one?"

"The one with the beauty mark near her lip? Simone?" I smiled and sighed. She would be one to come up with something like this and manage to keep it a secret for so long. "Aren't you having fun?"

"I guess. I don't know," I said awkwardly, pushing some of my hair behind my ear. "I wasn't expecting it to be such a big party, though. I'm happy you're here, at least."

"I'm happy I'm here too."

We just stood there quietly for a while, watching the sun dip past the horizon. It was nice, just standing there and enjoying each other's company. Addie was the kind of person I was always comfortable with, regardless of whether or not we were doing something or talking or whatever, and I don't think I've ever met anyone who's made me feel that way at all.

"You have cake on your face, you know," he said as I patted my pockets down for a hair tie. I glanced at him, frowning.

"What?"

"Really. It's all over your mouth. I know the cake was good, but it wasn't that good." I scowl, wiping my mouth with the back of my hand. Great. "You didn't get it." I frown and he laughs. "Here, let me." And he leans in closer and I start hyperventilating because now he's going to see that tiny zit on my cheek - but I guess that my blemishes are really the least of his concerns because he's kissing me and we're leaning against the tree and I don't know how but I end up winding my arms around his neck and it's so damn beautiful it almost hurts.

Almost.

"Happy birthday, Lulu."