Clarity

Chapter Eight

Green Hills was one of the richest neighborhoods in south East Harbor. If their children didn't head off to San Clementine Academy, they were either at Patton or St. October. Stella nearly attended one of those prestigious schools, but opted for a public high school to stay near home. She stuck awkwardly to Alex's side as they walked towards the large house at the end of the street with lights and pounding music.

There were a number of teens loitering about the front lawn. Some were sprawled out cold while others stumbled around with terrible balance. Stella nearly avoided being toppled by one of them and sidestepped behind Alex's left shoulder.

"I remember why I don't do house parties now," Stella said quietly, as if someone would hear them.

Alex said nothing, giving her a look as they stepped onto the porch and let themselves in. He disappeared from her side moments after they were inside. Stella grimaced, trying to adjust to the dim lighting and thrumming bass line that reverberated in her chest. The pungent smell of sweat, weed, and alcohol wafted through the hot air, but she pushed her way forward in an effort to find a place where she'd at least have the luxury of a six inch personal bubble. All she found were unfamiliar teens immersed in drunken antics and slurred conversations. When she got to the kitchen, she settled along a row of cabinets lined with used plastic cups and half consumed cans of beer.

Stella was mindful to remain relaxed as she scanned the brightly lit room for any signs of a familiar face. But instead of catching eyes with anyone she knew, there was a green eyed stare right beside her. The girl had tumbling blonde hair and long lashes coated in black, giving her the impression that she was one of those condescending queen bees. But when she smiled, Stella could easily tell she was genuine. She straightened as the pretty blonde poured a tall shot glass of amber liquid and held it out to her.

"Have a shot with us!" Was all she said.

Stella didn't think twice before downing it with the rest of the small group. The double shot burned its way down her throat, but she took a small sip of what she guessed was offered cola before handing it back to the girl.

"Thanks," Stella said with a small smile.

The girl returned the smile and turned away when her friends demanded her attention. Stella wiped her mouth with the back of her hand and moved to try the next room. She didn't make it out of the kitchen before someone popped open a bottle of beer and pushed it into her hand. When she glanced down at what she had, she cringed and looked at the boy sitting next to the fridge. He grinned and raised his can in the air before taking a drink. Stella replied as she took a swig and raised the bottle in thanks before slipping into the living area.

She stopped along one edge of the room and watched people dance as she unconsciously drank the beer down. Alex didn't seem to be anywhere on the first floor, but she wasn't about to go wandering upstairs. Even though people were constantly floating up and down the place, Stella wasn't comfortable going around a stranger's house. Aside from that, she didn't want to walk into anyone's business. It wasn't until she took the last warm sip did she grimace and double back to the kitchen to chuck the bottle in a bin.

"Hey, take a shot with me now!" It was the same girl. "My name is Julia, by the way."

"I'm Stella," she said, raising her voice over the boisterous noise. "Nice to meet you."

It smelled like tequila this time and she grimaced shortly before Julia handed her a slice of lemon and she shoved it into her mouth. Stella had to admit that she didn't feel too great afterwards. The heat was becoming unbearable and the alcohol was beginning to churn in her stomach. She cleared her throat and scratched the back of her head.

"I'm going outside for some air," Stella said, leaning closer to Julia.

"Are you alright?" Julia giggled, but placed a hand on her shoulder when she seemed to teeter. "I'll come with you."

Stella was thankful for that as Julia grabbed hold of her hand and lead her through the crowd to the back door. When the rush of cold air hit her face, Stella sighed in relief as she stumbled over the threshold and fell onto Julia's back with a short, laughing apology. There were others scattered around the back porch, smoking cigarettes and other things, but the blonde helped her over to an unoccupied area against the railing.

"This feels much better," Stella mumbled, raking her hair from her face and pulling the scarf around her neck to allow some cool air on her skin. "Thanks, Julia."

"No problem," she grinned. "You're not from around here, are you?"

"Oh, no," she said. "I'm from the North end. I go to Ridgewood… Most of you go to Patton, don't you?"

"Yeah, I-"

"Julia!" A voice boomed.

They looked up as a small group of three boys approached them and Julia frowned.

"What do you want, Rich?" She asked, clearly not happy to see him.

"I want you to come with me upstairs for a bit," he grinned, face red and eyes bleary. "We should talk."

"No thanks," Julia said, brushing his hands off her shoulders as she moved away. "Go ask Francine."

Rich's handsome face contorted in anger as he made to grab her again, but Stella smoothly intervened as she tugged Julia back and slipped in front of her. They all blinked at her, unable to recall seeing her there before, but she stared him in the eye without hesitation.

"She said no." Stella stated.

An amused smirk appeared on Rich's face as he stopped to slide his eyes over her in thought.

"You know, you're pretty cute," he said. "What's your name?"

"Never seen you around here before," one of the others said, stepping closer.

"Yeah, why don't you let us show you around?"

Stella was vaguely aware that they were crowding her, but she stood firm as the one named Rich reached out and fingered the ends of her hair. Julia gripped her arm behind her in suspense.

"It's Stella," she said, reaching up and plucking her hair from his fingers. "Thanks, but I'm fine with Julia."

"Oh, come on," Rich insisted. "You don't have a boyfriend, do you?"

Stella frowned, narrowing her eyes, "I-"

"Stell."

An arm slid around her shoulders and she turned towards the voice on instinct. Stella suspected she was drunk when she realized too late that Alex was too close. She knew she was drunk when she felt his mouth on hers as he kissed her with a little too much passion. And she reciprocated. When he pulled away, her face burned with an intense blush that she couldn't even make disappear through sheer will.

"You guys need something?" Alex asked, turning a glare towards the three guys who were gawking at him in shock.

"N-nah," Rich stuttered, backing away. "Just seeing if your girl needed anything, Alex."

"She's fine. Thanks."

They quickly left and Julia lightly punched Stella in the arm. "You didn't tell me you were Alex's girlfriend!" She pouted.

"I-I'm not!" Stella stuttered, flushing even brighter and losing control of her calm. "He's not! Alex, tell her."

Alex just stared at her face as she continued to fluster in embarrassment. Then he asked, "How much did you drink?"

"Practically nothing."

"Bullshit, Stell," he said. "I can taste the alcohol on your tongue."

Julia laughed when Stella blushed even harder.

"Alex!" She scolded.

"Come on, let's go," he sighed, looping his arm around her waist as he pulled her close. "Thanks for looking after her, Julia."

"Anytime," the blonde smiled, patting Stella on the back. "Come and hang out with me again, Stella."

"Thanks Julia," Stella sighed, but still forcing a smile as Alex led her away.

xx

"Take me home."

"No."

"Fine, I'll go by myself."

Stella broke away from his hold and started running in another direction, but Alex was quick and he caught her before she got more than a few feet away.

"Stell." It was a warning tone as he lead her into his apartment.

"I'm mad at you," she said, stumbling towards the couch.

"For what?"

"You took advantage of me!" She accused, taking a pillow from the couch and beating him over the head with it.

"What are you talking about?" He snatched it away.

"You know what I'm talking about!" Stella began attacking him with her open hands, but he easily grabbed her wrists and lightly pushed her back over the couch as she squealed in surprise. He promptly landed on top of her and pinned her wrists over her head.

"I don't. Why don't you tell me?" He murmured.

Stella blinked up at him and stammered, unable to form the words as her blush darkened again. Instead she fell silent and stubbornly refused to say anymore. Alex was looking at her in such a way that her heart was beginning to hammer in her chest. It was pounding so hard and she was beginning to tremble as his face drew closer.

"Alex," it was Stella giving him a warning this time.

Alex seemed amused as he rolled off of her and instead scooped her up into his arms. Stella flailed in surprise and flung her arms around his neck, trying to keep her head from rolling backwards.

"What are you doing?" She sighed, too tired to bother with him much longer.

Suddenly, she was dropped onto his mattress.

"Alex," Stella whined, putting a hand to her head. She didn't appreciate being handled so roughly when the room was already spinning.

"Sleep here tonight," was all he said, sitting on the side and forcefully rolling her over.

Stella huffed into the pillow and took comfort in the fact that she didn't have to sleep on his couch this time. It wasn't as if he was trying to get her clothes off at this point either, so she figured she'd let it slide for now. She giggled to herself when her mind decided to jump back to the unsolicited kiss earlier that night and she quickly stopped when he rolled over to face her.

"What's so funny?" He asked.

"N-nothing," Stella said, hugging one of his pillows to her chest. "Thanks for saving us… even though it was your fault for abandoning me."

"I told you I'd be back," Alex muttered. "But it seems like you ran off and drank everything you could get your hands on before I tracked you down."

"They gave them to me, it would have been rude to say no," she replied. "I could have done without the tequila though…"

"You shouldn't be standing up to guys either," he said. "Especially when you're outnumbered three to one."

"So I get a little bold when I drink," Stella said, covering half her face with the pillow. "And Julia was there, so it was actually three to two, which isn't so bad. We're cute girls. One knight in shining armor is guaranteed come to our rescue."

She thought she saw Alex shake his head in the dark.

"Did you have fun?"

"I did…"

"Good," was all he said.

There was a lapse of silence in which the quiet ticking of the clock filled the room. Both of them were awake, but had long closed their eyes to feign sleep. It was Stella who shifted and broke the silence.

"Good night," she murmured.

"Night," he said in return.
♠ ♠ ♠
Update chunk because I spent forever trying to fix it. But I'm just going to get it all out and ask for opinions so I can rework it. D:

Help meh. Dx