I Treated You So Wrong

Chapter Twenty-Nine

I can’t do it all on my own. Matt’s off doing his own thing since he won’t be my babysitter anymore. I think his wording is totally uncalled for, but there’s nothing I can do about it. I don’t understand why Val hadn’t told me, maybe because Matt told her not to…

I was back in the spare bedroom, which I was going to turn into Emily’s room. But since no one will answer my calls or texts, painting and decorating has to wait, but the furniture is all set up the way I like it.

Moving this heavy stuff around isn’t exactly what I’m supposed to be doing, but no one else will help and Zacky’s still off with that chick. They’re doing whatever the hell they do…I really don’t think I want to know, but I’m sure I have a clue.

After getting the rocking chair scooted next to the window that faced the shore, I decided the go out front and just sit. I wanted to watch everyone else enjoy their lives with their families and friends. I leaned back against the door frame and looked out towards the street. Everyone drove slow with happy faces at the children who played on the grass of their homes, or the ones that belonged to their little friends, most likely.

Down the road, I spotted a familiar black BMW. The windows were down, then sun roof was open, and you could hear the radio playing. The local rock show was playing some music from local bands, including Avenged, which is what psyched the guys every single time.

Zacky pulled up in front of the walkway and shut off the car. He opened the door and got out, then slowly walked up the walkway with his head down, sunglasses covering his eyes.

“Zack…” I said quietly.

He looked up at me and smiled slightly, “hey.”

Zacky took a seat on the steps that were just below me to my left and took off his glasses.

“How are you?” He asked.

I sighed and looked up at the sky that was littered with fluffy, white clouds in different places.

“You want me to be honest?” Zack nodded.

“Miserable. No one talks to me anymore…fucking Matt came by and just…flipped out on me. He only came because my doctor called him and told him to check on me. Wanna know what else? Val’s pregnant and he decided to throw that in my face.”

Zacky’s head shot up and he quickly looked at me. It didn’t phase me at all. But then again, I guess no one had talked to Zacky either. We’ve both been rejected.

“I’m so sorry, Rae,” he reached up and grabbed my left hand with his right and squeezed gently. See, affection like this is what means the most.

“It’s fine…not your fault…”

“That doesn’t matter. You don’t deserves to be treated like this by your family,” I shrugged.

“Listen…I have a surprise for you. Will you come my place with me?”

I looked at him, then nodded slowly, “sure. I have nothing else to do, plus I’ve been here for the past week doing almost nothing; doctor’s orders.”

Zacky smiled and stood up, then helped me up.

After getting my shoes and bag, then locking the door, we headed to his house. The whole ride was silent, besides the radio playing quietly in the background.

We arrived a short time later. He helped me out of the car, then up the stairs that led into the house. Ichabod greeted us at the door, jumping at our ankles and yelping with pure happiness.

“This way, you have to see this,” he took my hand and led me to the room down the hall that was upstairs, across from his room.

“I hope you like it,” he smiled and pushed the door open.

The door slid open, revealing a sun-lit room. The walls were painted a soft shade of pink. Half way up the walls, different green swirls went around the perimeter of the room with different colors flowers hidden in the green. At the tops of the walls, in the corners, their were multiple shades of purple roses with pink high lights. Scattered on the walls were little fairies and balls of soft, rainbow lights. The window had sheer white curtains and light blue ties. There was a cream colored crib that had a floral and fairy print bed set. The rocking chair matched the walls; swirls of green and flowers. A oak changing table and matching dresser and closet filled with clothes. In the furthest corner of the room, there was a pile of stuffed animals, mainly teddy bears.

I looked around in awe.

Zacky wrapped his arms around my waist to let his palms rest on the front of my stomach, “do you like it?”

Licking my lips, I nodded slowly and put my hands on top of his.

“It’s beautiful…” I said quietly.

I could tell that Zacky was smiling, there was no doubt in my mind.

“This is what Kendra was doing. I asked her to help me with this…she’s a nursery designer. I wanted to keep this whole thing a secret.”

“You’re serious?”

“As a heart attack, Rae. What you thought was going on wasn’t it at all.”

I nodded, “I’m sorry, Zacky…for assuming that.”

“It’s alright. But you can make it up to me by telling me something,” he rubbed his hand over my stomach; Emily began to kick slightly.

“What?” I asked.

“There’s only one way for Em to use it…and you…and that would be to live here,” I started to smiled.

“Will you two move in with me?”

I giggled quietly, “you know, if I say yes, the baby has no say so in that decision.”

“True,” he laughed.

“So…I think I will take you up on that offer.”

“Really?”

“Really, really,” I turned around in his arms and kissed his cheek.

“Thank you, Zacky.”

He leaned forward and pressed his lips to my own. When we pulled away, he cupped my face with his hands.

“Everything will get better, I promise you that, Rae,” he smiled and kissed me again.