An Endless Infinity

Chapter 1

Walks to college was always the best thing about the day, I could be alone, without a care in the world and escape to a place where I’d rather be by drowning out the screaming kids and passing cars with what has to be the best music taste ever. I’m more of a rock music fan compared to everyone else in my college year, however it seems like I shouldn’t be as I “don’t look like I’m into that kind of music”; I still don’t quite understand what that means, maybe I should go around wearing a load of black, with dyed hair and super thick eyeliner but no that’s not me at all, I have an individual taste, well not really I guess a band shirt and jeans will do me just fine.

‘Yale Park Comprehensive School and Sixth Form-Where your child’s future is our priority’ what a load of rubbish that is, I’ve spent 6 years at that school and now sixth form and well I can assure you their priority is definitely not their priority for two reasons: 1.The kids really couldn’t give a shit about being there and 2.The teachers would rather be in the staff room gossiping about pupils than they would teaching them. God I can’t wait to get out of the place.

8.59am. Made it with 1 minute to spare, I should really leave the house earlier. I sighed loudly as I opened the door to my home room, waiting for the onslaught of sound to escape from the room along with the overwhelming smell of guy’s deodorant which could never truly cover up the smell of sweat from the boy’s football team. As usual, there was a hello from my friends Rachel and Marcus before I went to sign in at the front of the class as my form tutor Mrs Evans stared endlessly at me making sure I filled out the sign in sheet right. As soon as I put the pen down and raised my eyes from up the sheet Mrs Evans slammed her mug of coffee onto the desk.

“Miss Woodward don’t think you’re going anywhere” I gulped loudly, shit what I have done wrong.

“Yes Miss?...”

“There’s a new girl starting here today, erm Rebecca Greene. She does the same lessons as you, so buddy up” Oh you have got to be kidding me. I hate showing people around, hate having to make conversation with new people who clearly don’t like you, and it’s always me who has to ‘buddy up’ because I could be deemed the only nice person in this hell hole.

“But Miss come on please, I showed Rob around last week and he ended up hating me. Why is it always me?!” I groaned as I threw my bag down onto the floor by Rachel and Marcus

“Because you’re the only responsible person in this god damn place! So shut up and do it.” I hate hearing those words, just wish she’d give me a break and let someone else do the teacher’s dirty work.

“Fine.” I grunted as I sat down at the desk, banging my head upon the desk.

“Hey it’ll be alright” Rachel retorted as she continued to text away to her boyfriend on her phone “This Rebecca won’t be half as bad as Rob was” Well lets explain this story about Rob. He’s a cocky boy, always thinks he’s top dog, you know the kinda lads. Anyway last week I had the wonderful task of showing him around, and by the end of the day he pushed my down the stairs and into the mud for ‘a dare’ as per say. Never again can I trust and or even talk to Rob again.

“Well I’m sure as hell not gonna like her if she’s one of the Barbie dolls like the brats sitting at the back of the room” I moaned

“All caked in foundation doing the duck lips pout like this” Marcus mimicked, making me smile, taking my mind off the impending doom that was probably waiting to explode.

“God I hope she’s not like that, seriously hope she isn’t” I muttered, biting loudly into my apple. We continued with relatively boring conversation before the door carefully creaked open and in walked the new girl. Rebecca. She seemed quite nice on first glance, definitely not a Barbie doll, just normal like me I guess until I noticed the Paramore tour shirt. Holy shit, a newbie with a common interest of mine, maybe we’ll actually get on. She spoke with a relatively timid voice to Mrs Evans who seems nice on first impressions but ultimately is the vilest teacher you could probably ever meet. I see Evans point over to me, as I am the ‘chosen one’. I smile politely back as Rebecca carefully walks over stopping just in front of my desk.

“Victoria?” She questioned with a hint of worry in her voice.

“Hey” I politely welcomed “You must be Rebecca?” She nodded her head in response, staying standing all the while. “Well take a seat by us then, and great band by the way” Trying to make conversation with newbies was always hard, but hopefully this would make things easier. Probably not.

“Yeah I am” Rebecca timidly spoke as she placed her satchel by the side of the desk and took a seat “Oh thanks” She broke into a small smile for the first time she entered the room. This seems promising so far.

“So what brings you to Yale Park?” I questioned, continuing to eat my apple

“Well…” Rebecca sighed. Oh great I’ve triggered some sob story probably, cue tears. “Mum and dad have both got new jobs at the hospital down here, so I had to move with them. I couldn’t wait to get out of my old town really”

“Why, was it that bad?” I questioned

“Let’s just say that it was like living on the set of the Jeremy Kyle show every day!” A laugh rose through Rebecca’s nose as I laughed to. Hey at least she has a sense of humour. “So what’s it actually like at Yale Park, it doesn’t seem as bad as my old college”

“Just don’t get on the wrong side of Mrs Evans and all will be fine” I whispered loud enough so Evans didn’t hear me.

“Oh, why’s that?” Rebecca questioned with a puzzled look etched upon her face “She seemed quite nice to me earlier”

“Yeah she’s nice to all the newbies, you’ll soon find out she’s a total bitch and shout at you for no reason” I explained as Rachel and Marcus agreed.

“Last week she threw a book at me all because I didn’t shut the door behind myself. Rule one, always shut that door!” Marcus laughed, recalling that small memory

“So Basically avoid Mrs Evans at all cost and shut that door?” Rebecca retorted

“I think she’s got it!” Rachel smiled “Welcome to Yale Park-Where your hopes and dreams will probably be ruined” that statement earned a chorus of laughs, even causing Rebecca to laugh herself. It wasn’t long before we all got lost in conversation, talking about everything and anything that sprung to mind. In the process I found out the following things about Rebecca-

1. She has a very weird accent due to her American father and Manchester born mother.
2. She doesn’t like pop music-RESULT! Finally someone like me!
3. She prefers to be called Becca
4. She doesn’t like green vegetables
5. Roses are her favourite flowers because her middle name is Rose

“Right clear off everyone, no longer do I want to see your faces, time for first lesson!” Mrs Evans bellowed around the room as everyone piled and pushed towards the exit door, spending 20 minutes in the home room always seemed to be the worst part of the day. Becca stuck close by my side, overwhelmed by the sheer amount of people pushing past us in the corridor as we desperately attempted to make our way to our first lesson.

“Victoria…” Becca questioned “Is it always this busy?” her breathing seemed to become more rapid and uneven, almost like she couldn’t catch her breath.

“Call me Tori” I spoke “And it’s only this busy this time in the morning, why?”

“I don’t like busy places” Becca started to panic slightly, breathing becoming more uneven “I really don’t like it”

“Hey, it’s okay, here take a drink of my water and just stand here a moment, ignore everyone around you and focus on catching your breath” I handed Becca my water bottle. Panic attacks; My younger brother suffers from them, I know what to do, super Tori to the rescue! She immediately did what I said and slowly but surely her breathing recovered and she stopped panicking. “Better?” She handed me the water bottle back with a slight smile on her face.

“Yeah, thanks.” Becca spoke “Nobody has ever helped me like that before, so thank you”

“Wow, really?” I was shocked; she seemed a nice, sociable girl and clearly this has happened to her back at her old college, why did no one ever help her?

“Yeah, I’m a very closed person I guess and well everyone at my old college were horrible people so they just let me suffer really” She recalled “That’s one reason why I couldn’t wait to escape and move down to here”

“Well for as long as you’re with me until you probably find new people to hang around with at Yale Park, I won’t let you suffer. My brother suffers from anxiety and panic attacks so I’m here to help” I smiled as I pushed the door open into our biology labs. They’re nothing special; just rows of benches and underneath all scientific equipment you could need for dissecting a frog or blowing up some chemicals which always injects some fun into a dull lesson.

“Thanks Tori” Becca added “I think I’ll be hanging around most of my time with you for now though if that’s okay?” Hanging around with me? What! No newbie has ever said this to me, after the first day they always fly away from the ‘Tori Nest’ and find a new home within college, but seriously Becca? Sticking and hanging around with me!

“Yeah sure that’s fine, would be nice to get to know you more really. Most newbies decide to walk off from me and find their own way around, but yeah stick around with me. I just hope you can put up with endless random conversations!” I honestly can’t believe she wants to stay around me! Nerdy, boring me!

“I think I can cope with the conversations” Becca giggled as she pulled out her notebook and pencil case covered in band stickers.

I think we’ll get along. I hope we get along.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well here's the first chapter of my fic, just getting to introduce you to the main characters Rebecca and Victoria. Hope you enjoy reading more of what has to come for these two.
Any comments are welcome :) x