First Time

Twenty four.

It had been 10 days since my baby shower and getting engaged. I had never been happier. And my due date was in a week, which meant that I didn't have long until Sophie came. "Al, you ready?" Joe shouted. He was upstairs, getting changed whilst I laid out on the couch. "I told mom we would be there in 5 minutes." I rolled my eyes.

"I'm waiting for you." I replied. Denise and Paul were making dinner for all of us, the last time before I had Sophie. "I've been ready since you got in the shower." I felt a hand on my shoulder, so I turned around to see Joe grinning at me.

"You wanted me to rearrange the furniture in the nursery. I had to shower; I was dripping with sweat. Now come on wife-to-be," Joe said with a stupid grin on his face. That's what he had been calling me since he proposed. "We better leave now." He ran around to the front of the couch and held his hands out.

"Thanks." I muttered as I grabbed hold of them. I had been finding it harder and harder to get out of chairs, beds and other low things. He pulled me of the couch and wrapped his arms around my waist. "Love you." He nodded his head, pressing a short, sweet kiss to my lips.

"Me too." He replied, before smacking my butt. "Let's go." He offered his hand out to me and we walked out of the house. "Do you think we need a new car?" He asked as we climbed into the one he had now.

"Not yet, why?" I replied. Joe shrugged his shoulders and whacked the car into drive.

"I don't know. It doesn't seem like an appropriate car to have a baby in." I looked over my shoulder to see the car seat already installed. Joe wanted to make sure that it was in the car, so he didn't forget it when I was giving birth. It sat, looking tiny in the back of the car.

"No, the car is fine. I mean, the windows are tinted, so no one can see inside. We have plenty of room for the pram in the trunk and extra room around her car seat." I replied, running a hand through my hair. "The car is fine until we need a new one."

"Okay." Joe agreed. He took his hand off the steering wheel and placed it on my thigh. I hummed, contently, making Joe laugh. "How are you?"

"Heavy." I grunted, making him smile. "It's all getting a little cramped in there. She needs to hurry up and get out."

"Have you felt anything yet? Any signs of movement?" I shook my head, pouting to myself.

"Nothing yet." I replied. "She is all tucked up in there. I have a feeling she isn't going to come naturally. I bet I'll be taken in and induced."

"Na, she will come naturally." He disagreed with me. "In the next couple of days."

"It's only the 17th today." I pointed out. "She is due in another 7 days. And the only sign that suggests she is coming is the fact that for the last 2 weeks, her head is crushing my bladder." Joe giggled, shaking his head. "I won't be very happy if I have to be induced."

"You won't be happy if she comes without you being induced." Joe pointed out. "You won't be happy until she has come out."

"Damn right I won't." I replied, making Joe laugh. I rubbed my belly with my hand. "I'm going to miss the bump."

"You'll have her instead though." He glanced over at me before looking back to the road. "Your bump will be replaced with our baby girl." I grinned at him, running my fingers against his knuckles. He squeezed my thigh in reply.

"Yeah, but the bump was quite nice. It was quite relaxing, being able to rub it, or stroke it."

"You won't be able to relax with a screaming baby." Joe joked. I rolled my eyes. "From what your dad told me, you were a loud baby."

"When did you speak to my dad about me being a baby?" I replied, narrowing my eyebrows. Joe grinned in reply.

"When I asked if it was okay to marry you." I smiled back, glancing down at my ring. I never expected my life to be this way, but I was loving it.

"You never told me when it was." I replied, narrowing my eyebrows at him.

"You know when you went for your check up with your mom?" Joe said, as he pulled into the road of the Jonas household. "And I said I couldn't come because I had things to do." I nodded my head, not bothering to speak. "That was when I did it."

"I bet my dad wasn't too happy about seeing you." I muttered, but with a smirking lingering on my lips.

"To start with, no." Joe cringed slightly. "When he opened the door, I thought he was going to punch me. But then I explained and we walked. And then when I asked if I could marry you, he just stopped."

"Stopped what?" I asked as he pulled into his parent's driveway. Both Nick and Kevin were here, obvious by their cars sitting side by side.

"Everything. Talking, breathing. Just stopped." Joe replied, pulling the keys out of the engine. I didn't move, just watched him. "And then he said 'marry her, Joe. Don't let her go.' And then he hugged me."

"Wow." I said, tearing up a little. "Just wow."

"Yeah, you're telling me." Joe replied, smiling at me. He leant over the console and pressed a kiss against my lips. "And I'm planning on keeping you forever."

"God Joe, you make me sound like a dog." I replied, making him laugh. "C'mon, if we sit in this car any longer, I might give birth." Joe jumped out of the car and ran around, opening the door for me. I grabbed his hand as he helped me out the car.

"You'll tell me if something doesn't feel right, won't you?" Joe asked as we walked towards the front door. I nodded my head, smiling at him. "Good." He pressed a brief kiss to my lips before opening the door. "Hey guys, we're here." Joe shouted as we took off our shoes and coats. He rammed them into the cupboard under the stairs. "Don't tell mom." He mumbled as he kicked them in, not bothering to hang them up. He grabbed my hand and we walked into the lounge.

"Here." Paul said, getting up and allowing me his seat. Normally, I'd let him sit down, but as I was nearly 9 months pregnant, I didn't care.

"Thanks." I replied, sitting in my seat. Joe sat on the arm of the chair, his hand playing with the bottom of my hair.

"How are you feeling?" Denise asked, patting my knee. I sighed, rubbing my belly.

"She isn't making any attempt at coming out." I told her. She nodded her head, smiling softly.

"She'll come at her own pace."

"I wish she'd come now." Joe muttered, making me grin at him. Everyone else laughed. "It's weird, seeing the nursery and not a baby in there."

"Not too long now." I patted his thigh and turned back to the family before me. "Where's Nicholas?" I asked, looking around. Danielle smiled at me from the other side of the room, caressing her stomach. She had a small bump at 11 weeks pregnant, barely there.

"He is upstairs. With Gabby." Kevin replied, too busy with his phone to actually look at any of us. I grinned, nudging Joe.

"So are we going to be seeing a lot more of her?" I asked, raising my eyebrows. Both Paul and Denise laughed at me, rolling their eyes at the same time.

"That's down to Nick and Gabby, don't you think?" Denise replied, giving me a stern look. I grinned at her, a way of replying.

"How long until food?" Kevin groaned, putting his phone into his pocket. "I'm starving."

"In fact, we were waiting on these two. It's done, it's just warming up in the oven." Denise said. I smiled, not feeling up to eating a full meal. "I'll go upstairs and get Nicholas-"

"It's fine." I placed a hand on her arm. "I'll go. I've got to pee anyway." I smiled before standing up. Joe gave me a worried look. "I'm peeing Joe, not attempting a 5 mile walk." I pressed a kiss against his forehead and made my way upstairs. I went into the bathroom and did my business.

I walked out, going over to Nick's old room where I assumed they would be. Without even thinking about knocking, I opened the door. "Oh my god." I squealed, making some attempt to shut the door again. But it didn't work. My foot got in the way and then I banged my elbow.

"Allie!" Nick shouted. Before my eyes, laid Nick and Gabby. Both topless and with their jeans undone. I covered my eyes, backing out of the room.

"Dinner is ready." I announced. "And if that sight doesn't start my contractions, nothing will!" I slammed the door behind me, hearing both Nick and Gabby giggling. I sighed and started my way to the stairs. I turned the corner to see Joe standing at the top of them, staring at me.

"Are you okay?" He asked, frantically. I smiled, placing my hands on his shoulders. "I heard you shouting."

"That's because I walked in on your brother and Gabby getting it on." I replied, smirking at him. "Although, that sight and the shock might start my contractions." Joe laughed, pressing a kiss against my forehead.

"Lovely." He screwed his nose up. "My baby might come because of the shock of her uncle getting it on. Great." He moaned.

"C'mon, they will be down in a minute." I patted his butt, making him move down the stairs. "It would be so wrong right now to have a nap, wouldn't it?" I asked Joe, leaning against his side as we walked towards the kitchen.

"A little bit, yeah." He replied, as we made our way to the dinner table. "Why? Are you feeling tired?"

"I'm always tired Joe." And to prove my point, I yawned. Everyone laughed at me as I sat down on the chair; Joe taking the one next to me. "First night she is born, you can keep waking up and sorting her out."

"Not if she is on the boob I can't." Joe pointed out, grabbing a piece of bread off a plate. "Your boobs, you're feeding."

"Can we stop talking about Allie's boobs please?" Frankie groaned, resting his head against the table. Kevin ruffled his hair as we all laughed.

"Sorry Frank." I replied, trying to keep my giggles under control. "You two took your time." I announced as Nick and Gabby walked in. Both of them looked a mess; their shirts were crumpled and their hair was uncontrollable.

"Well, we had to..." Nick stopped to look around at all of our waiting faces. I could see all the clogs ticking in his head, trying to find an excuse.

"Clean ourselves up. Couldn't come downstairs without washing our hands." Gabby saved themselves by making up an excuse. Denise and Paul accepted it, whilst me, Joe, Kevin and Danielle all shared a knowing look.

"Sit down then you two." Paul said, as he sat at the head of the table. They did as Paul said, a little frantically. I laughed as Nick sat opposite me, his cheeks a lovely pink colour. I kicked him under the table, a smirk covering my lips. He rolled his eyes and stuck his tongue out at me.

"Mature." I whispered to him. He went to retort but Denise brought over the food. I looked over at the pasta bake she had made and suddenly felt sick. I pushed my chair back, grabbing the glass of water in front of me. I sipped it slowly, hoping the feeling would go away.

"Tuck in." Denise said, as she sat down next to Paul. Everyone went crazy, grabbing bread, spoonfuls of pasta and salad. I let everyone grab what they wanted before taking barely anything for myself. I could feel Joe's eyes on me as I pushed the food around my plate.

"Are you okay?" He asked, before taking a mouthful of salad. I nodded my head as he put his hand on my thigh.

"I'm feeling a little sick." I whispered in reply. He narrowed his eyebrows at me, the panic evident on his face. "And my back is hurting more than usual."

"Is it?" He glanced down at my stomach. "I mean, do you think it's time?" I shrugged my shoulders, glad that everyone was too busy talking about Danielle's pregnancy rather than listening in on our conversation.

"I'm not sure." I shifted slightly. "I've never given birth before. But something doesn't feel right."

"Okay." He gave my thigh a squeeze. "Take it easy for now, it might just be a false alarm." For a man who 20 seconds ago looked panicked, seemed rationally calm. "If it gets worse, let me know."

* * *

By the time dinner had finished, I knew something wasn't right. The pain in my back worsened and I was more uncomfortable than usual. Everyone piled their way into the lounge, apart from Denise, who stayed to clear up the plates. I grabbed Joe's hand, pulling him into the kitchen. "Your mom has had 4 children, she has to know what it's like." He nodded his head.

"Mom." Joe called, shutting the door between the hallway and kitchen. Denise turned around to see me and Joe staring at her.

"What's wrong?" She immediately knew something was up. "You both look terrified." Joe chuckled slightly as I shifted from one foot to the other.

"Allie is getting these pains, in her back." Joe said. I saw a flash of a smile grace her lips, before she turned serious.

"My back normally hurts anyway, but this is a different pain." I said, sitting on the chair. Standing was even worse than sitting. "This feels like I'm having period pains."

"Sounds like you're in the first stages of labour." She grinned at the both of us. I grimaced as Joe squeezed my shoulder. "But I'm not a doctor. It could be nothing but a false alarm. Ring your doctor, tell her. And then see how the rest of the day goes."

"I'll go and ring her now." Joe bounced up and down before leaving the room. I blew the hair out of my face. Denise smiled at me before sitting down.

"How you feeling?" She asked, patting my knee.

"I'm okay, just a little uncomfortable and a bit sick." I replied. She smiled at me.

"No contractions?"

"Not that I know of." I told her, brushing the hair out of my face. "But I've never had a baby before so I wouldn't know." Denise laughed.

"It's like a tightening across here." She swiped her hand across her stomach, showing me. "You'll know about it sooner or later."

"We could have a baby in the family in the next couple of days." I replied, smiling at her. "The back pain is constant though."

"Yeah, normally it is." She said, sympathetically. "With Nicholas, the back pain was worse than the actually contractions. I would have taken a drug free birth if I could have got rid of that pain."

"I'm really worried." I replied, staring at Denise. She leant over, giving me a tight hug. "It's just...I'm quite little. And Joe's tall and lanky. She is going to be a big baby."

"A long baby." Denise pointed out. I nodded my head, rubbing my stomach. "You're still feeling her move?"

"Yeah." I replied, getting a nudge in reply to the warmth of my hand. "Feel." My hand was quickly replaced with Denise's, the nudging still constant.

"She is a mover." Denise joked. "Joe was too, so clearly she takes after her dad."

"God, I hope not." I replied as Joe walked into the room. He shut the door behind him, his phone gripped in his hand. "What did she say?"

"You've gotta keep moving. Rather than sitting, it might make your contractions start." Joe said. I groaned, but stood up otherwise. "If your contractions get to 5 minutes apart, or your waters break, I've got to get you to the hospital. You're priority for the doctor." I nodded my head. I knew I was.

"Okay, fine." I replied as I waddled around the kitchen. "So far, no contractions. So I think it might be a while. If it is labour."

"Do you want to go for a walk?" Joe offered. "We can just walk around the street and come back in 10 minutes. Might make things start?" I nodded my head.

"Yeah, let's." I replied. I grabbed a bottle of water out the fridge and kissed Denise on the cheek. "Thanks. We won't be too long." She shooed us out the kitchen. Joe grabbed out jackets and shoes out of the cupboard. Glad that I was only wearing flat, I slipped my feet into them as Joe tied his trainers. "We are just going for a walk." I announced to everyone who sat in the lounge. "Won't be too long." They all mumbled a reply, too interested in what was on the TV.

"C'mon." Joe said, tugging at my fingers. We both walked out, shitting the door behind us. "How are you?" He asked as we started to walk.

"I'm okay. The pain isn't too bad." I replied. He threw his arm around my shoulders, tucking me under his arm. "I've had worse period pains." He screwed his nose up.

"So what are we going to do about contraception after she is born?" He asked. I was glad that he wasn't focusing on what may be the start of my labour.

"I was meaning to talk to you about this." I replied, clenching onto his t-shirt. "I was thinking the pill, at least then you won't have to worry about wrapping up." I glanced down at his manhood before laughing. "I know you don't like it."

"No, I don't." He replied, proudly. I was glad that no one was out walking either. I think that hearing our conversation would be a little too much. "Are you okay with that? Taking the pill?"

"I was taking it when we were dating first time around." I pointed out. Joe narrowed his eyebrows, looking down at me.

"We didn't have sex?" What he said came out more like a question than a statement.

"No, it was just in case." Joe burst into laughter, shaking his head. "What?"

"You were taking the pill when we weren't having sex, but when we did, you weren't." He managed to say through his giggles. "What happened?"

"I didn't think I would need them." I replied, laughing softly. It did seem a little silly. "And they were giving me really bad headaches."

"If they were giving you headaches, why do you want it again?"

"There are different types, silly." I poked him in the side. "Oooh." I stopped in the middle of the sidewalk, staring at Joe.

"What?" He asked, sounding like he was about to have a panic attack. "What's wrong?"

"I think I'm having a contraction."
♠ ♠ ♠
Ooh. It's very close! :)
Next chapter: explaining.