‹ Prequel: Wasted
Status: coming along.

Change

Let me be your ride outta town...

I lay in bed, perfectly content to be covered by my warm sheets. I’d been woken up a good half hour ago by the garage doors opening and closing while my parents set off for work. I’d drifted back to sleep and continued to be happily in bed.

I heard my door creak open and assumed it was Sharon, our housekeeper. She’d rustle me awake playfully and pull open the blinds to force me out of bed and into the day. Jon was coming into town the next day and I’d promised to help her get the house ready.

But instead of my hair being pushed out of my face and sunlight streaming onto my bed, I was met with my mattress sinking down and the sound of another person breathing nearby. My body tensed and I shot up, my head whirring around.

“Relax,” a familiar voice soothed me. “It’s just me.”

My mind was instantly whirring. Had I accidentally slept through a whole day? College had taught me many things and one of them was how to sleep long lengths of time and manage to wake up completely frazzled each time. But that couldn’t be possible.

So that left one option.

Jon was here.

A day early.

And I’d nearly dove off my bed.

I wiped at my eyes and he smiled. “Good morning, Steph.” Pulling me back down close to him, he connected my lips to his – my morning breath and all. There was no denying that it was really him now.

“You’re early,” I pushed him closer to the edge of my bed. “What the hell?”

“No, I’m not,” Jon smiled pushing my now shorter hair out of my face. “We leave tomorrow.”

I squinted at him. Had I really screwed up the dates? I climbed out of bed to get to my desk where my iPhone and planner both sat.

“Shit,” I groaned. “I’m sorry, Jon. I’m such an awful girlfriend. Jesus Christ, how did I screw that up?” I continued griping and shaking my head until Jon’s arms wrapped around me.

“You know,” he began. “A simple, ‘I’m sorry’ and an apologetic kiss would have sufficed. The self-deprecation is unnecessary.”

“Ooh,” I turned around in his arms. “Someone’s been working on their vocabulary.”

“Well you know,” Jon smiled. “I am dating a college graduate now. I have to make sure that I’m up to snuff.”

“Come on,” I grabbed my robe off the back of my desk chair and took his hand. “I smell breakfast. You met Sharon, right? You didn’t just break into my house?”

“I met Sharon,” Jon nodded. “And she said that I wasn’t allowed to let you sleep anymore.”

“And he did a god job at it too,” Sharon greeted us with two cups of coffee and a kiss to my forehead. “Good morning, lovey.”

I smiled sleepily in return as Jon and I took our seats on the stools at the kitchen island. I’d grown up with Sharon as more of a mother to me than my own mom. It was at that kitchen island that I’d excitedly explained about parties or moped about boys. I could vividly remember squealing with her about my acceptance to Northwestern. She and Mrs. Saad had been the two most important women in my life without a doubt.

“What are you plans before you leave tomorrow?” she teased me as she took waffles from the iron.

“Being in the house as little as possible,” I said stirring my coffee with my finger and smiling as Jon placed a hand on my knee. “As soon as I pack my suitcases.”

“Suitcases?” Jon emphasized the ‘s’ at the end.

“We’re driving,” I shrugged. “I’ll pack as much as I need.”

“You know you’re parents are going to have to meet him eventually,” Sharon sighed as she pushed the waffles and toppings towards us. “Just get it over with.”

“As far as I’m concerned,” I loaded my waffle with strawberries and whipped butter before stuffing a corner into my mouth. “He’s already met the important people. All of the Saads and you. That’s my side of the wedding party.” I pointed my fork at him. “You can fill the rest of the seats.”

“Young lady,” Sharon set the coffee pot down a little too hard. “I have supported you in every decision you have ever made, even when you chose to barely come home during your four years in college.” She sighed. “You’re still living under their roof. Show them some semblance of respect, please Stephanie.”

I looked down at my plate. Mama Sharon had spoken. “Yes ma’am.”

She patted my shoulder on her way out of the room and the second we were alone Jon started losing it.

“What, you asshole?” I groaned.

“She shut you down like no one I’ve ever seen before,” Jon laughed. “That’s great.”

“Sharon’s the only person that can do that,” I admitted. “I don’t know how I would have ended up without her.”

“Just as amazing as you are now,” Jon leaned in closer.

“Kiss ass,” I whispered, meeting him halfway and kissing him.

Jon pulled away. “So when do I meet your parents?”

I groaned a rested my head against his chest. “I need to pack my stuff first so we can make a quick getaway.”

*~*~*~*~*~*


“Stop fidgeting,” I muttered. “You look fine.”

“You sure?”

I stared at him. “This wasn’t even my idea, so you shouldn’t be the one freaking out over this.”

“Who said I was freaking out?” Jon asked innocently.

I rolled my eyes and crossed my legs before taking out my phone. We were of course waiting on my parents.

@PLnHPSteph: Is subtweeting still okay? ‘Cuz that’s what I’m feelin’. #twitternewbie

@PLnHPSteph: Let me catch my breath/this is really hard/if I start to look like I’m sweating/well/it’s because I am #guessthatsong


“Is that them?” Jon asked as a car pulled into the driveway.

I stood up, straightening my dress. “Unfortunately.” I went to the bar cart and fixed myself another drink and one for my father. “Here, give my dad this.”

“Relax,” Jon kissed my temple and took the drink. “Dream team, right?”

“The reporter and her captain,” I smiled to myself.

“Exactly.”

“Stephanie?” my mother’s voice was much too airy. She knew something was up.

“Mother,” I sighed. “Daddy. This is my boyfriend…Jon.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Updated four stories in one day. Like, danggg. I'm officially back, I promise. Thanks so much for all of you who have stuck with me! Let me know what's on your minds, lovelies!

P.S. If anyone can name the song Steph tweets, there might be a little preview to the next chapter for the first person to comment correctly! ; )

Morning