Sequel: Stealing Glances
Status: COMPLETE- Sequel Stealing Glance is up!

Making Hits for Your Heart

Track Eleven

After spending until hours till the morning trying to figure out the arrangements to what John had decided to call, “These Four Words” with Jamison. The two were back in the studio only a few hours later with the rest of the band waiting for Brendan so they could unveil the possible track for the untitled album.

They all sat around the control room talking about random things as Brendan came into the studio with a wrapped gift under his arm.

“Happy Birthday Jae.” Brendan said, handing the wrapped gift to Jamison as she bashfully took the gift from his hands.

“Brendan…” Jamison said feeling a bit self-conscious.

“What? It is your birthday.” Brendan replied like it was the most obvious thing in the world. “Declan made this for you too.” He pulled out a handmade card from his bag with the words, “HAPPY BRIFDAY UNCLE JAMISON” on the front in crayon.

“It’s your birthday?” Jared asked, looking a bit mortified and surprised all at once.

“Yeah…” Jamison sheepishly admitted with a chuckle.

“Why didn’t you tell us?!” Garrett yelled, throwing his hands in air as his fellow band mates agreed with him. “Why did you make us breakfast?”

“She’s not too nitpicky about her birthday she celebrates quietly with food and work… and booze.” Brendan laughed, “Fucking weirdo.”

“Fuck you.” Jamison said, with a laugh as she gave Brendan the finger.

“I fucking love you.” Brendan said, going up to her and giving her a hug.

“Happy Birthday Jam.” Jared said, going up to hug Jamison.

“Happy Birthday Jae.” Garrett said, as he went up to do the same and slowly the rest of the members followed.

“Thanks guys…” She said, “Let’s get working… John has another song he’d like to share.” Looking over at John with a weak smile as she diverted the attention from her to the album.

“Jamie and I worked on it last night… I am not sure if it’ll fit on the record but—“ John began rambling as he nervously scratched the back of his neck.

“You’re stalling. Just play us the song.” Garrett said, rolling his eyes causing John to give him the finger before Jamison intervened.

“We recorded a demo of it this morning…” She said, as she began playing the demo for them.

Everyone was quiet and expressionless while listening to the song just giving their undivided attention. John nervously fidgeted with his hands as he tried to figure out what everyone else would say—if this song would make the album or was one to go into the infinite abyss of songs that would never be heard by anyone but the people in the room. There was a moment of silence that was only broken by Jared.

“This is what we’ve been missing…” He said, giving John the look of approval.

“Dude, this is… we need this on the album.” Garrett said, looking like his mind had exploded in pure awe of what he had just listened to.

Everyone began agreeing and saying their opinions about the song causing John internally sigh in relief. He didn’t know how he would feel if everyone hated the song. He had put himself out there in a different way than he ever had. He didn’t know what the repercussions would be to his ego.

“We could get Andrew to do keys on it… I think he can make it out sometime this week—” Jamison said, taking out her cellphone to check her calendar.

“I think you should do it. You would be perfect for it…” Brendan mumbled, cigarette dangling from his mouth. “Just you on the piano and John on vocals—nothing else. Let’s record this… like now.” He suggested, causing John and Jamison to look at one another in surprise.

“I agree.” Kennedy said with a smile liking the idea.

“You ready for this?” John said, looking at Jamison inquisitively with a lazy lopsided smile.

“Let’s go through it a few times and go for it…” Jamison said up for the idea yet still a bit thrown off by it.

The two had spent the next hour or so practicing the song trying to pat down some of the empty gaps. It was finally time to record and John sat nervously in the recording room on his stool shaking his knee. A few moments later Jamison had walked in and sat at the piano going through the keys and warming up a bit while Brendan was setting up the controls and tape.

“Nervous?” She asked looking at John with a small smirk.

He sheepishly chuckled, “Yeah…”

“Good.” She laughed causing him to look at her in a confused expression. “Use it to your advantage.” He shook his head laughing at her remark.

“You nervous?”

She smiled before answering in a half joking dignified manner, “Always.”

“We’re ready when you guys are…” Brendan said through the speakers interrupting their banter. The two put on their headphones and looked at one another.

“Good luck.” Jamison mouthed causing John to smile.

John took a deep breath before signaling to Brendan that he was ready. Jamison began playing the intro as John closed his eyes began to sing the most honest song he had written in awhile and his first time recording such an honest song without changing or generalizing it to hide himself.

I really should just go home
And play with myself
Better that than stay
And do something else
Cause we can't be friends that much I know
I wish it wasn't so
And I can't take my heart someplace it won't go
Show me to the door


John opened his eyes and looked over at Jamison who seemed to have her eyes closed and was mouthing the words along with him and digging into the piano keys with so much emotion. He just continued to sing and watched her fascinated by her actions.

After 2 more takes and John fixated on watching Jamison they had finally gotten the take they had wanted. Third time was always a charm.

I don’t love you…” John sang the last line as he watched Jamison mouth the same and finish off the last few bars on the piano.

Jamison opened her eyes and looked up at John than over to Brendan at the soundboard.

“We got it!” Brendan said, through their headphones as the other members cheered behind him.

“We did it.” Jamison said taking off her headphones and giving John a high five.

After another full day in the studio Jamison had ducked out early for a birthday dinner with a few friends. The guys took this opportunity to go to a bakery and buy her a cake to make up for the fact they didn’t even know it was her birthday. A few balloons and party poppers later they were armed and ready for her.

Later that night Jamison had walked into the house wondering why the kitchen light was the only light on in the house. To her surprise, the guys were in the kitchen wearing party hats and popping party poppers while gesturing to the cake they had bought for her.

“Happy Birthday Jamison!!!” They yelled in unison.

“You guys didn’t have to.” She said sheepishly but seemed completely touched by gesture.

“You need cake for your birthday—it’s like an unspoken rule. If you don’t the cake fairies will eat your soul… or something.” Garrett said in mock seriousness as the others agreed with him.

“Thanks…” She laughed, as Jared began lighting the candles on her cake and the rest of the guys sang “Happy Birthday”.

“Blow out your candles… and make a wish!” Pat yelled happily, as Jamison stared at the cake.

She closed her eyes for a moment before she blew out the candles while the guys cheered and popped some more party poppers.

“Alright let’s eat this bad boy…” John said before sticking his finger in the cake and wiping the frosting on his finger onto Jamison’s face causing everyone to laugh.

“What the—you crapbag.” Jamison said, laughing as she punched John on the shoulder and wiping the frosting off her face.

John laughed and just gave her a childish smirk, “Happy Birthday Jamie.” He said in a singsong voice.

“Is he already drunk?” Jamison asked with a chuckle at John’s childish antics.

Garrett jokingly squinted his eyes and stared at John, “I don’t think so…” He said, side eyeing John.

“Let’s eat this thing despite being it being tainted cause of Dirty O’Callaghan’s finger.” She said, as Kennedy handed her a knife.

After a few beers and cake everyone decided to call it a night. John had taken a shower and looked onto the backyard patio to see Jamison sitting in her usual spot with some leftover cake.

“Hey.” John said, taking a seat beside her.

“Hi.” She said giving him a lazy smile.

“More cake?”

“Always.” She chuckled, “Thanks for the cake… you guys really didn’t have to.”

“We would’ve gotten you something tangible if we had known… we felt kind of horrible not knowing it was your birthday.” He admitted with a laugh.

“I never told you when my birthday was though.”

“Still we felt horrible…”

“Sorry.” Jamison said apologetically taking another bite of cake.

“Don’t apologize… it’s your birthday.”

“Officially it isn’t anymore.”

“Still I would like to say Happy Belated Birthday Jamison Jae In Song.” John said in a singsong voice causing her to chuckle.

“Thank you John Cornelius O’Callaghan The Fifth

“Can I ask you something?” He said, crossing his legs and making himself comfortable.

“Sure.”

“What has this whole process been like for you? I mean for us… it’s been a game changer for us—as musicians… and I can’t speak for the other guys but it’s also helped me as a person. So, what’s it been like for you?” He asked curiously, wondering what she would say or if she had anything to say about the matter.

“Enlightening. Fun. Inspiring. I could go on for days…” She chuckled to herself, “You guys make me want to work harder, better, and just… make me want to grow as producer and as a person.” She answered honestly, taking John by surprise with her words.

“Really?”

“From ‘The Way We Talk’ to whatever this album is going to be called... I have never seen a band have so much growth in such a period of time. To strive for greater things and not just staying in their comfort zone—which isn’t a bad thing… but just seeing you guys wanting to get everything out of what music has to offer you is just inspiring to say the least. So this whole process has been something that will forever be a happy memory to me and hopefully I can take what I learned from you guys and grow as well—in the studio and in life.” She explained and John felt warmed by her words, it was some of the nicest words he had heard from a colleague.

“Another band aid for you.” He said with a smile.

“Another band aid for me.”

“And band aid for me…” He said with a content sigh looking up into the night sky.

“Really?” Jamison said surprised by his statement.

“This whole process…” He began, as he thought about his words. “I was just emotionally, mentally, and physically tired. But making this album… has given me life. It has helped me just get all that emotion out into the ether—whatever the emotion may have been. I feel like a weight being lifted off of me. It’s raw, real, and… the veil of trying to impress people is gone. It’s honest… it has a life of it’s own, no one can control it or stop it. It’s a surreal feeling… I’m excited for the unknown and everything to come with this album.” He said sounding genuinely excited.

“I’m glad you feel that way cause this album is going to be amazing.” She smiled.

“Cause of the magic touch from Jamison Jae In Song and Brendan Benson.” He teased causing her to punch him playfully on the shoulder.

“Cause of you guys…”

A moment of comfortable silence washed between them before John let out a content sigh.

“I can’t believe it’s December next week and we leave in two weeks.” He mused, “So, what are your holiday plans?”

“I actually have no idea… Brendan and the family are going to Hawaii this time around. They invited me but I wanted them to have their own thing.”

“I’m sure Brendan is bummed Uncle Jamison couldn’t do some babysitting for him.” John teased.

“I didn’t even think about that…” Jamison said with a laugh, “Oh well, too late now. Maybe I’ll go to back to San Francisco to my place there.”

“You’re going to spend Christmas alone?” He asked, as his eyes softened feeling a bit of sympathy for her.

“Probably.” She said shrugging her shoulders nonchalantly.

“You should spend Christmas with my family and me…” He offered, not even thinking about it but more as an action.

“I don’t want to crash your family’s Christmas…” She laughed nervously, “Plus, I never really celebrated Christmas till I lived with Squire and even then it wasn’t traditional.”

“You shouldn’t be alone on Christmas… seriously, you should spend it with my family and me. I insist.” He said again but more firmly, “I am sure my parents would love to meet you and my brothers would probably fawn over you. You can meet the 8123 family and things too… I think you’d fit right into it all.” He said wanting her to see him outside the world of recording they were in.

“I—“

“I won’t take a no, so you’re going come with us on tour for 2 weeks for our college shows and club shows. You’ll be in the van with a bunch of dudes and then as a reward spend Christmas with my wonderful family…” He said, already figuring out everything.

“You should ask the guys first…” She chuckled at John’s determination.

“I think it’s safe to say they’ll say yes and be stoked… but I’ll ask since you are so worried.” He said teasingly at the latter statement while rolling his eyes.

“Screw you.” She laughed, throwing the finger at him as he closed his eyes and stuck out his tongue at her.

“I don’t have to be nice to you since it’s not your birthday anymore.” He continued to tease.

“You got some life back in your eyes… a different person than the guy I met when you first came here.” She said genuinely, giving him a smile.

“I have you thank you immensely for that.” He said, looking at her with a thankful expression. “And just being able to revive myself by making this record.”

“I’m glad…” She shook her head in approval. “Weird question, did your tattoos hurt?” She asked pointing at one of his many tattoos.

“Some more than others but overall, not too much. It’s a tedious process more than anything… why thinking about getting one?” He asked curiously, looking at Jamison’s unblemished body.

“I want to but I have a fear of needles. I don’t even have my ears pierced…” She admitted self-consciously with a laugh.

“Little Jamie—doesn’t know how to ride a bike or have any tattoos. Boohoo.” John teased in a baby voice as he pitched Jamison’s cheeks.

“I’m a child… not a cool kid like you.” She played along causing John to laugh.

“I like how we’re comfortable enough to shit around with each other.” He confessed.

“I would like to hope after almost 3 months of seeing each other everyday we wouldn’t always be just polite to each other.”

“True.” He mused, “Still something very satisfying about this banter we have…” He smirked.

“Well, you’re stuck with me for a bit longer. By your own choice I might add so… you have a little more time to savor it.” She teased.

“I’m glad… kind of scared of what it’ll be like not seeing you around all the time. So used to this routine.” He confessed.

“You’ll be back on your home and tour life routines in no time. There always is Skype and things like that.” She assured him.

“There is…” He shook his head, thanking technology silently.

“No matter where you are—you’ll always be home…” She said looking straight into his eyes, “Home is in people, not places…” John was taken aback by her words—it was like she had read his inner thoughts.

He stared at her for a moment before smiling, “You are quite the person…”

“I could say the same about you.” She laughed, shaking off his compliment.

“You really helped me step outside myself and grow…” He said praising her a bit despite the fact she almost always tried to shake off his kind words, “I’m going to repay you someday—somehow. I hope I can help you just as much as you helped me, I hope to do the same for you.”

“Don’t ever feel like you owe me. It’s what friends do…” She smiled assuring him that was what friends were for.

After a bit more talking sleep had taken over their eyes and they headed to bed. John sat in his bed looking down at his journal and began writing things down.

Things For Jamison To Do

#1 Preform in front of a crowd (besides karaoke or something similar to that)
#2 Learn how to ride a bike
#3 Get a tattoo


He looked down at his list and smiled to himself.
♠ ♠ ♠
I think one more studio/album related chapter and the making of the album part of the story is done :(

Not proofed. But gonna spend this weekend proofing/fixing up all the chapters up until this point!
But as always (and forever) thank you everyone for the comments/recommendations/subscriptions and things. It means a lot to me and fuels me to write more! So thank YOU. I am always hoping to get some feedback from you guys as well as get to know you guys as readers and what you hope/want/think will happen with this story hence the questions of the day and things (but it's not required! as long as you are enjoying this story!).

Question(s) of the day:

- Movies/TV show you can watched repeatedly? Since fall premieres are happening/happened-- what shows have you been guys anticipating?

- Hopes/wants for the story?