Sequel: Stealing Glances
Status: COMPLETE- Sequel Stealing Glance is up!

Making Hits for Your Heart

Track Twenty-Two

It had almost been 2 weeks since John and Jamison had hashed out their feelings for one another. A few days after they had sealed their new fate they had met up with the band for a little get together at John’s before Jamison’s departure. John and Jamison had revealed the rest of the band their newfound relationship. The reactions from everyone were welcome and delighted by the news. Particularly, Jared and Garrett’s reaction to the news had been notable with Jared letting out a sigh and yelling, “Thank God!” which was quite the opposite from Garrett’s childish, “I called it!” pointing at the two in victory.

Today had been an important band meeting at the 8123 offices from discussions about their upcoming fall schedule among many other things like merch, contests, and set lists.

“So, Anberlin’s booking agent called. They wanted to bring us out on tour with them in Australia for two weeks in September and if that goes well… we do a co-headlining tour a week after you get back.” Tim said, as he looked through his list of topics to talk about.

“How did we get on their radar?” Jared asked curiously as he took a sip of his bottle of water.

“They heard the new record and loved it thought you guys would mesh well, audience wise and as people…”

“I’m all for that.” Pat said, happily as he was always excited for any new touring prospects.

“Yeah. I’m down.” Garrett agreed, leaning back into his chair.

“They’ve already routed the tour and everything… so we’ll see how Australia goes then and then green light the fall tour?” Tim proposed, looking around the room to see everyone nodding their heads in agreement.

“Sounds good.” Kennedy said, speaking out loud for the group.

“I’ll call and tell them we say yes.” Tim said, making a note in his phone. “Now onto merch designs…”

After the meeting John was up on the 8123 rooftop fiddling with his phone and taking in some fresh air before deciding to call Jamison.

“Hey you, how are you?” Jamison answered, as John smiled to himself.

“I’m good. Had a meeting today about fall tours—we are going to Australia with Anberlin in late September.” He said.

“Really? With William Beckett too, right? That’s great to hear.”

“How did you know?” He asked curiously.

“I gave them your record. They talked about wanting to tour with you guys… I pieced it together.”

John’s eyes widened a bit, “You gave them our record?”

“I did. But I mean it was cause the guys wanted to hear what I was working on… and then we talked about you guys. They asked what you guys were like and things and threw your name in the hat for possible touring opportunities together.” She explained, as John smiled to himself completely unsurprised by the fact she would do such a thing.

“Well, thank you for helping us land a tour.”

“It wasn’t my intention. But I assure you, they made the choice of taking you on tour with them.” She chuckled sheepishly.

“I am pretty sure your influence really helped seal the deal.”

“My influence. You’re funny.” She laughed at his ridiculous comment. “You talk like I have some kind of power over what these dudes decide to do.”

“In a sense you kind of do…” He said. “Master of the studio.” He teased, causing Jamison to roll her eyes.

“Maybe, I said what needed to be about an awesome band. If something awesome happens from that so be it.”

“So was this after you’ve been obligated to tell people the band is awesome cause I am your boyfriend now or before?” He asked teasingly.

“Before.” She assured him with a chuckle. “Who says I’m obligated to say anything nice about you?” She asked jokingly, as John laughed at her comeback.

“It’s like in the unwritten codebook of relationships, don’t you know?” He said playing along as a smile crept upon his face.

“Well, if you make shitty music. I’m not going to support that no matter what the rules are… sorry, I’m not sorry.” She said nonchalantly causing John to laugh out in disbelief at her brutally honest words.

“Wow, do you treat all the guys you date like this?”

Jamison laughed before answering, “You really like emphasizing we’re dating, don’t you?”

“I do.” He said proudly, “I know how it makes you feel awkward and I kind of love knowing I have that power over you.” He chuckled.

“Thanks, just thanks…” She deadpanned causing John to chuckle once more.

“Always.”

“Which reminds me, it’s basically has been almost a year since I’ve met you. Happy Anniversary of some sorts I guess for that.” She said. “We met a week after your birthday if I remember correctly.”

“Has it been roughly a year since we’ve met?” He asked, not believing how quickly time had gone by.

“Yeah, it has… time goes by so fast.”

“It does.”

“Your birthday is also coming up… you old fart.” She teased.

“Did you get me something fabulous for my birthday?” John asked, in a false falsetto causing Jamison to laugh.

“I mean, I did agree to date you. I think that should be enough…” She said, jokingly causing John to laugh at her absurd comment. “I’m kidding… I actually did. Check your mail on your birthday.”

“I wish you could celebrate it with me…” He sighed.

“I do too. But Eric told me he had an entire wonderful crazy weekend planned for you. So, I trust him to make it so much fun that you’ll forget about me not being there.” She assured him.

“Impossible.”

“I got work and stuff… you know I would if I could.”

“I know…” He let out another sigh. “Doesn’t make it any less easier.”

“I might be free mid-August if things pan out well… if you are free also, one of us can go out to see each other? I’m in LA…” She offered, causing John’s mood to perk up in an instant.

“I’d actually wouldn’t mind driving up to San Francisco or something and hanging out with you there…” He confessed.

“Really?” She asked sounding surprised by his confession.

“Yeah.”

“I will keep you posted—you do the same, if it works out. Let’s spend a few days up north—in my city.” She told him while smiling.

“Deal.”

“Belated birthday celebrations for you…”

“I’m sure it’ll be better than whatever Halvo has planned for me.” He assured her causing Jamison to roll her eyes.

“Don’t talk about your lover like that…” She teased. “I’m going to make it so boring—make you bum on my couch for days…”

John laughed, “As long as I’m with you, nothing else matters.” He said in another mock falsetto causing Jamison to burst out into laughter at his cheesy words.

“Oh god, shut up…”

“I can feel you squirm… it’s so funny.” He said knowing she was probably cringing and squirming.

“You are so mean…” She whined like a 5 year-old causing John to laugh.

“It’s cause I like you…” He assured her. “That’s what boys do to girls they like—they torment them, right?”

“Whatever.” She said dismissively in a lighthearted manner.

“Don’t be mad at me.” He jokingly pleaded like a 5 year-old. “It’s cause I like you.”

“I’m going to go now… please behave yourself and not inflict second hand embarrassment amongst your friends this weekend. I worry for them.” She said, in mock concern.

“Your words, they hurt. Yet, I can’t quit you.” John said dramatically with a sigh.

“Bye John.” She said, with a laugh.

“Bye Jamie.”

Jamison hung up her phone and headed back inside the studio to see Jake sitting in front of the soundboard, playing on his phone.

“You seem… happy.” Jake said, as Jamison took a seat next to him.

She shook her head. “I am… no reason not to be.”

“But you’re like extra happy… I take it John and you are doing well?” He smiled, already knowing what her answer would be.

“It’s only been like 2 weeks, it’s new… the honeymoon phase.” She reassured him with a smile.

“Still… it’s nice seeing you be happy. Plus, you two have known each other for so long. I’m sure this isn’t cause everything is new and exciting… it’s comfortable.”

“Says the dude who has been with his girlfriend for like… ever.” She chuckled as Jake smiled at her.

“Being in a relationship isn’t so bad is it?”

Jamison broke out into a laugh, “Nope.” She admitted while shaking her head.

“Welcome to the club Jae.” Jake said, as he playfully punched her shoulder.

“Thanks Sinclair.” She smiled, as she patted his leg. “Let’s do some work…”

--------

August 2013

After spending most of Friday and Saturday with his closest friends and it being a complete blur for the most part. John woke up in his bed and walked out into the living room to see a box placed on the coffee table in the living room. He looked to see it was addressed to him—from Jamison. He realized it was probably delivered sometime the day before while he was out. He quickly opened the box to see an envelope with his name written upon it. After plowing through the packing material he had found various things like a certificate indicating he was now enrolled in the beer of the month club, a box of his favorite tea and a ceramic mug, a tupperware filled with brownies, a box of band aids, and a slew of vinyls ranging from David Bowie, Copeland, and some bands/artists he hadn’t even heard of. He smiled to himself and opened the envelope that was addressed to him.

Dear Birthday Boy,
Happy Birthday to you!!! I hope you have an amazing birthday and it is filled with lots of good times and cake. I didn’t know what to exactly get you so I came up with a few things and each with reason…

The beer (of the month club) is for good times and a reminder to have fun and not take things to seriously (and Halvo would also appreciate this gift).
The box of tea and mug are for warmth inside and out, quiet times with your solitary company to recharge (and to not get sick and for your vocal chords, those are your money makers… some might also say it’s cause of your face, but we all know that’s not true).
The box of brownies (which are handmade by the way—funfetti or nothing!) is for sweetness and pleasantness because even when going through dark times, there’s always light to be found (plus, I shared my brownies with you when we met).
The band aids are self explanatory (but also, you might need them for any clumsy accidents that may happen on tour)
The various vinyl records are for life… because without music, some of us wouldn’t be here today—and wouldn’t be alive to inspire other people to live life (thank you for making music).

I know it’s not much but I hope you like it anyways.
I hope you have a great birthday and we’ll see each other soon.

Just a reminder, I like you and your face…

From:
Jamison Song aka Jamie


John smiled to himself and looked over the gifts once more before taking out his cellphone and calling Jamison.

“Happy Birthday, Birthday boy.” She answered causing John to smile from ear to ear.

“Thank you… I loved your gifts.” He said, genuinely warmed by her efforts.

“I’m glad, I was worried about it making it there on time and you liking it.”

“I love it.” He assured her causing her to let out a small sigh of relief.

“Then that’s all that matters…”

“This was really thoughtful.” He said. “I don’t know what else to say…” He felt a bit speechless.

“I tried.” She said casually, causing John to chuckle at her nonchalant ways.

“This only makes me miss you more though…” John admitted taking a seat on his couch was he started at the box in front of him.

She smiled at his words. “I miss you too.”

“I’m pretty sure everyone else’s presents will suck compared to yours.”

“Shut your mouth. Your parents gave you life!” Jamison yelled, causing John to burst out into hysterical laughter.

“That’s true.” He laughed, “So, what are you up to today?”

“I went to church, now I am at the studio in full force work mode. Incase you lost track of where I am—I’m in LA.” She laughed at the last part of her remark. “We were mixing and it got halted cause we’re putting in a last minute track.”

“Insane.”

“That is recording life.” She sighed contently, “How was your birthday weekend thus far?”

“I think I still have my liver…” He joked, as he took a sip of water replenishing himself of fluids.

“Bless Eric Halvorsen—he brings the party.”

John chuckled, “It’s been fun… boys night outs. With an ‘s’ because we went out way more than once.” He said, accentuating on the ‘s’.

“Good to hear.”

“So, can you unveil your projects you’ve been secretly working yet?” He asked, half jokingly but mostly curious more than anything.

“You’ll hear about one in like 2 weeks.” She said. “The other one in like… a month.”

“Can’t tell me? No boyfriend privilege?” He baited jokingly causing her to chuckle.

“Court ordered gag… my hands are tied.” Jamison said, somewhat apologetically. “Get your mind out of the gutter…” She quickly added realizing the nuances to her words.

John laughed, “I didn’t say anything—you went there first.”

“I know what you were thinking…”

“You can’t blame me, your choice of words…”

“My bad.” She laughed, taking responsibility for steering the conversation to an odd turn.

“It’s nice to hear your voice when I wake up.” John confessed, letting out a happy sigh.

“I’m glad. It’d be awkward if you didn’t like it.” She joked. “So, your today is your last day to end your epic birthday weekend.”

“That it is.”

“I do have good news. I have time off mid-August so if you still would like to visit me. My schedule is open for you.” She offered, as John felt his heart leap of joy.

“I am down. Absolutely.” He answered, wondering if he responded to her way too quickly.

“Great. I gotta get back to work but we’ll hash the details out and things later?”

“Sounds great.”

“Happy birthday again John, have a great one.” She said to him cheerfully. “I’m sure Eric will keep me updated on all the debauchery.” She chuckled.

“I promise I’ll behave, just enough for you.” He assured her in a joking manner.

“Thanks… I think.” She said, sounding unsure with her own words causing both of them to laugh.

“Hey Jamison?”

“Yeah?”

“I like you… and your face too.” John said, with a smile.

-----------

2 weeks later John was at SFO airport getting off from his flight and going out to the pick up area with his bag to see Jamison’s car waiting for him. He quickly threw his bag in the bag seat before going up to the passenger’s door and opening it.

“Hey…” John said with a lazy smile while getting into Jamison’s car and quickly putting on his seatbelt.

“Hi.” She said, as she turned the engine to the car and began driving. “It's good to see your face.” She looked over at him and gave him a quick smile before focusing her attention on the road.

“Yours too.”

“What did you want to do while you were here?”

“Hang out with you.” He simply said, giving her a sheepish grin.

Jamison rolled her eyes and chuckled, “I mean besides that…”

“Nothing much else really.”

“You’ve gotten soft since you started dating me O’Callaghan.” She teased, as she playfully punched his shoulder.

“What can I say Jamie Song? You have that effect on me…”

“Come on, we’ll play this belated birthday celebration for you by ear.” She said, “I’ll make you brunch. We got to stop by the supermarket first though.”

“Lead the way…”

A comfortable silence with The Replacements filling the car speakers they arrived at the supermarket. John and Jamison walked side by side together into the market. John watched Jamison get lost in her own thoughts as she silently and intently wandered the market. He smiled to himself seeing her so entranced by each item wondering what was going to her mind.

“What do you want to eat?” Jamison asked, pushing the cart around as they continued to wander around the market.

He shrugged, “Anything…”

“I’m literally just going to buy you a box of saltines then.” She said sarcastically causing John to chuckle.

“No, no… please don’t. I am a growing and starving boy.” He reasoned. “I might wither away if you don’t give me sufficient food.” He said dramatically pretending to keel over.

“So dramatic.” She said rolling her eyes as pushed him away from her.

“So mean.”

“Shut up.” She punched his shoulder with a laugh.

“I’m just going to tell myself every time you say something mean to me it’s cause you like me.” He teased, as they were walking down the dairy aisle.

She shrugged seeming unfazed by his words. “Whatever helps you sleep at night…” John began looking at her in disbelief while laughing.

“Just for that…” John said, grabbing her and throwing her over his shoulder.

“John!” She yelled, slapping his back. “Put me down!” She began panicking as John just laughed at her reaction.

“There you go…” He said, placing her into the shopping cart. “I’ll be your chuffer today.” He began pushing the cart casually like nothing happened.

“You’re ridiculous.” She whined, sitting in the cart.

“Where to?” John asked, walking down passed each aisle waiting for Jamison’s answer.

“We need to go to the bread aisle.” Jamison pointed to the next aisle over.

John took a look around as they walked down the empty aisle before running and jumping on the edge of the cart as it propelled the both of them. “Weeeee!!!” He yelled happily before jumping off and pushing the cart like nothing ever happened.

“We’re going to get kicked out…” She said, covering her eyes with her hand in somewhat of embarrassment.

“What kind of bread?” John asked, stopping in front of the bread selection looking at the assortments of bread.

She pointed, “Top shelf—English muffin. Get whichever kind you want.” John grabbed a bag of multi-grain English muffins and threw them onto her lap.

“Now what?”

“Produce.” She said, pointing her finger in the direction that they needed to go.

“Alright then…” John said in a southern drawl, as he began pushing the cart.

“Farmer John.” Jamison laughed.

John tipped his imaginary hat at her before giving her a wink. “At yer service ma’am…”

After grocery shopping the two went back to Jamison’s and she began cooking John his belated birthday brunch. John sat at the kitchen island across from Jamison as he watched her intently as she was cutting potatoes.

"I'll help." He offered as he got up from his seat and went beside Jamison waiting for instructions.

He intently started helping breaking eggs and measuring flour for waffles as Jamison accidentally splattered milk on his shirt while pouring it into the mixing bowl they were sharing.

"Sorry." She apologized, looking at John who seemed unfazed by what she had just done.

"You have some..." He said nonchalantly putting his finger on her nose wiping flour on it.

"You wiped your flour-ridden hands on me!" She shouted, as she wiped her face with her sleeve.

"You splatted milk on me." He countered, nudging her shoulder with his arm as she rolled her eyes.

"On accident."

"I did too... on accident."

"Liar!" She said flicking some of the flour/egg/milk mixture from the bowl back at him.

"Hey!" He chuckled incredulously at what Jamison had just done to him.

"Accident!" She said sarcastically shrugging her shoulders.

"You're dead!" He wiped more flour/egg/milk mixture on her cheek.

"Gross!" She wiped her face with her sleeve again while John laughed at her.

The two started throwing all the ingredients at each other till John grabbed both her wrists with one hand and with his other hand wiped more flour on her face.

"Ahhh!!!" Jamison screamed, as she lost her balance and fell backwards pulling John with her.

"You look silly." John chuckled at the position they were in as he looked down at her trying to wipe herself off.

"What are you talking about? I look great." She said jokingly while chuckling at the ridiculousness of the situation that they were in.

"You do." He said sincerely looking at her with much intent.

The two stared at each other for a moment as John leaned in and kissed her. Even with all the flour, egg, milk, and other stuff all over her face— he kissed her.

Later that night, John and Jamison were getting ready to go to Matt and Renee’s for dinner. John walked out of the guest room wearing a chambray shirt tucked in red plaid pants.

“Jamie, you ready?” John called out, as he stood in front of her door.

“Yeah…” Jamison said, opening the door walking out of her room.

John laughed in disbelief at the sight in front of him. “No way.”

“Dude, did you watch me change or something?” Jamison said, gesturing to her outfit which was identical to John’s but with her wearing green plaid pants.

“No, did you watch me change?” John asked, looking at her with a smirk.

“No!” She said, shaking her head profusely. “You’re going to have to go change. I am not going to be like Halvo and you with your matching outfits.”

“No way! Why don’t you change?” He countered.

“Wear your chinos or something.” She suggested not backing down.

John howled in laughter, “I am not going out looking like some second rate Best Buy employee.” he crossed his arms specifying he wasn’t going to be backing down.

“Dude… not cool.” She laughed. “I will go change.” She turned to go to her room but John grabbed her by the arm causing her to turn around.

“I’m kidding, you don’t have to.” He said. “We do look mighty cute if I do say so myself.” He laughed, looking at himself then Jamison who just laughed.

“You are dumb.” She punched his shoulder before walking to her room. “I’m going to change.” She announced before closing the door.

“This is really nice of Matt and Renee to invite us to dinner.” John said, as he stood on the other side on the door waiting for Jamison as she was changing.

“They heard you were back in town and said it was the least they could do for the amazing performance you did at their wedding.” She said, through the door causing John to smile.

“Do they know—“ John paused realizing that they were now meeting her friends officially as a couple. “You know… that we’re—“ He sheepishly stuttered out wondering if she got the gist of what he was saying.

“Honestly, I haven’t really told anyone besides Butch, Jake, and Brendan not cause I don’t want to but it hasn’t come up…” She said. “I’ll say something if they ask or something.” She assured him.

“Sounds good…” He shook his head.

“I hope you don’t think I am scared or embarrassed by you.” She said, opening the door with a newly changed outfit consisting of a white button up blouse with black shorts paired with black tights. “I just don’t like going out of my way to always just put it out there and wave it in people’s faces about my relationship status.” She explained, as she walked over to the coat closet and grabbed her coat to put on then handing John’s leather jacket over to him.

“I get it. I’m the same…” John said, putting on his jacket then began to fix the collar.

“I’m glad.” She smiled, as she felt a weight lifted off of her.

“You look real nice.” He smirked while giving her a thumbs up in approval of her new outfit.

“Thanks… you look nice too, outfit thief.” She joked, grabbing her purse and taking out the keys. “You’re driving, Anxiety McGee.” She tossed John the keys.

“Always a pleasure to do so.” He said, dangling the keys from his finger. “Let’s go…” He said, heading to the door.

“Hey John?”

He turned to look at Jamison who was staring at him. “Yeah?”

“You know I’m really glad you’re here, right?” She asked, sounding completely sincere with her words.

“I know…” He smiled. “I am too.” He said grabbing her hand and leading her out the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N: This one is a filler of sorts but I hope it will suffice. Not going to lie—you’re going to have to deal with some fluff before we get some turbulence. I never said I was good at mushy things. You’re going to have to bear through it. SORRY. This one goes out to everdeen who was been with this story since the beginning (that’s my girl right here!) and since she’s informed me that she’s alive… this one is for her. All my love to you lovely person…

Anywho, I hope you are all doing well… thank you always for the comments/recommendations/subscribing and things. You know it means a bunch to me. Feedback is always welcome but not required. Thank you thank you thank you to everyone (silent or not!) for the support and good vibes. I wish I could hug you all.

Question of the day: I can’t think of one today… but I don’t know tell me what you think might happen in this story, music you’ve been listening to lately, or even what you ate today. My question of the day is: How are you? What’s on your mind?