Sequel: Stealing Glances
Status: COMPLETE- Sequel Stealing Glance is up!

Making Hits for Your Heart

Track Twenty-Three

August 2013

It was John’s last night in San Francisco with Jamison. After a few days of exploring the city together from cheesy tourist attractions to Jamison’s favorite places, the two were slowly getting the gist of being together… the added bonuses—the hand holding, the various kinds of hugs, the cuddling, the kissing, and even sharing bed space with one another. Despite it being all new, especially for Jamison, the two slowly were embracing the new invasion of personal space they had with one another.

John and Jamison were sitting on the couch together sharing a bottle of French wine that neither could pronounce while listening to one of John’s random playlists he had on his iPod.

“I kind of don’t want to wait like 2 more weeks to go on tour… I think I have a problem. I have a girlfriend and I still want to go back on the road.” John chuckled sheepishly as he was resting his head on Jamison’s lap was laying and sprawled across the couch. “You must think I’m a horrible boyfriend.” He looked at her with a grin.

“Not at all…” She shook her head as John let out a content sigh while looking up at the ceiling again as she played with his hair.

“I always have this yearning for being on the road when I’m not…” He admitted, while getting lost in his thoughts.

“I think touring changes you—the constant travel… travel changes you. As you move through this life and world you change things slightly, you leave marks behind, however small or big they might be. And in return, life and travel— leaves marks on you. Most of the time, those marks— on your body or on your heart are wonderful. Although, I think the marks makes you feel nostalgic… you always want to seem to leave more marks on the world. Your mark on this world… saying you were here and you lived this moment and it was all your own.” She pondered, as John took in her words and contemplated his own thoughts.

“I think we try to do that to validate ourselves and our worth at times…”

“How so?” She looked down at him with a curious expression.

“If we leave more marks on this earth, on people… we know we’ve done something—we’ll be remembered. I think I do that a lot, I know as a band we do that… we strive to stand out since it’s such an oversaturated industry. But we do it on our terms. Sometimes, we do things or say things without thinking then it sticks with us— like that time on tour I never wore a shirt, my Iggy Pop phase as I affectionately call it. Now people just heckle me at shows all the time to take my shirt off.” He chuckled sheepishly. “But it’s a way for people to remember me and I leave more marks in this world. But at the same time all people know is John O’Callaghan from The Maine and they think they know everything or even try to… but they can’t because I don’t even know all of me and what I’m truly capable of. I’m still learning while leaving my marks. I just hate the fact at times when fans or others think they know, when they have no idea. But another part of me at times wonders if I don’t leave enough marks if I’ve done anything worthwhile in my life. Maybe that’s why I’m always wanting to go back on tour.” He mused, playing with his hands as Jamison took a sip of her wine and they sat in a comfortable silence.

“Why are we so pensive?” She chuckled sheepishly breaking the silence. “Don’t couples usually talk about how much they like each other or about happy things like puppies?”

“It’s probably just the wine talking…” John half-heartedly joked. “We can totally do that. You’re so fabulous Jamie.” He said in a mock high pitched voice and lisp.

She flicked his forehead causing him to squint in mild pain before smirking at her. “You are dumb.” She laughed at him.

John sighed contently and closed his eyes, “I’m going miss this… can I just stay here till I have to go on tour again?” He asked somewhat rhetorically.

“Sure. But you might be here alone…” She said with a smile, causing John to open his eyes and look up at her in confusion. “Some people have jobs…”

“No, you’re going to stay here with me till I have to go back on tour.”

“Shots will be fired…” She teased as John got up to and sat upright. “There will a search team looking for me via motorcycle gangs who like to go to the shooting range.”

“I keep forgetting you know some legitimately intimidating people.” He laughed nervously thinking about the many possibilities of his death that could be ruled “an accident”.

“I keep good company.”

John grabbed Jamison’s hand and looked at the side of her wrist where she had gotten her tattoo and smiled to himself. “Your tattoo healed up nicely.”

“It was so itchy. How do you endure it?” She asked staring at her own tattoo.

“Patience is a virtue.” He said teasingly nudging her shoulder.

“I guess…” Jamison nonchalantly shrugged.

“So impatient Jamison…”

“Says the boy who just talked about how he wants to go back on tour now and not wait 2 weeks…” She countered, rolling her eyes at him.

“Touché.” He chuckled, “Are we ever going to continue writing that short story we were working on together?”

“Isn’t it somewhat taboo working with your significant other?”

“Fuck the rules!” He yelled before laughing at his own words and reactions.

“How punk of you…” She laughed, leaning her head against her up rest arm.

“I think it’d be even more fun to write now that we’re together. It’d be more honest… that’s for sure.”

“You have a valid point there…”

“I always make good and valid points… it got me you, right?” John said with a grin causing Jamison to laugh.

She shook her head in agreement, “True.”

“So, what do you say?” He proposed. “We keep writing?”

“Sure.” Jamison nodded, as John grabbed a notepad and pen that was lying on the coffee table.

“I’ll go first.” John sat and thought for a moment before the light bulb in his brain had flashed. He began scribbling his thoughts onto the notepad before handing it over to Jamison.

I was sitting at your apartment as you were brewing coffee for me. It was my last night in your city and I would be leaving in the afternoon on a flight to wherever the tour bus was. You carefully handed me the steaming cup of coffee in your sweater-covered hands—blue with pink polka dots, it reminded me of Patti Mayonnaise. We talked, laughed, listened, and repeated… and repeated.

I don’t know why but whenever I look at you, you make me laugh. It’s not like you’re funny looking or anything like that. There’s a certain kind of still joy you exude… you’re especially funny when you try to be serious with me—try being the keyword.

I wonder what you think about my excessive laughing.


Jamison smiled at his words and looked up at John who was staring at her intently with a smile on his face that was laced with curiosity.

“Let’s see what I can do with this…” She said, as she collected her thoughts.

She began writing zealously and kept a smile on her face before handing over her words to John. He took the notepad from her hands and began reading.

We spent the week laughing and exploring. It seemed that the week had solidified our comfort levels with each other. You laugh at my childish reactions when food arrives or how I take fashion cues from cartoon characters like Patti Mayonnaise. I laugh at your cheesy jokes and attempts to be witty and sassy.

It’s never my intention to amuse you yet you always seem to laugh when you look at me. Even when I try to tell you in a serious manner that all you’re good for is reaching the top shelf at the grocery store—you laugh.

You laugh like a 5-year old.


John looked up at Jamison and smiled, as she had seemed to doze off a bit on the couch with her hands folded together and leaning her head against her shoulder. He took the notepad and tossed it on the coffee table while taking a moment to just watch her drift off. He leaned over and gave her a quick peck on the cheek before smiling to himself again.

------------

September 2013

The band had been on an 18-hour flight to Brisbane, Australia to kick off a 2-week tour with Anberlin and William Beckett. Jetlag was John’s best friend at the moment—it had been 2AM and he was wide-awake. He had calculated the time difference from Australia and Nashville (thanks to his phone) and realized it would be 10AM and Jamison would probably be awake, maybe he could call her. He grabbed his laptop and first logged onto the band’s twitter to check various @ replies from fans seeing if anyone needed a spare ticket to the show. One of the tweets on the timeline had caught his eye—none other than from Jamison Song herself, he read the tweet in much disbelief and shock.

@jamisong

Thanks @paramore for letting me ruin your new album by producing a track on it and doing some backup vocals!


John quickly logged onto Skype and to his luck Jamison had been logged on. He had pressed the phone shaped button that began ringing a few times before a window popped onto his screen producing Jamison via video chat. From what it looked like she had still been in bed.

“Hi.” Jamison said, putting her hair up in a half attempted ponytail while still sitting in her bed.

“Hey…“ He smiled. “No work?”

“Nope. I have to fly out to New York tomorrow to start more work.” She said. “I get to be a bum today…”

“Lucky you…” He chuckled, as she tried to put her hair in a ponytail again. “You look cute.”

“I look like a bum… but I have no one to impress. So I’m not to upset about it.” She said nonchalantly causing John to laugh.

“Gee thanks…” He said sarcastically which didn’t seem to faze her whatsoever.

“We’re already dating, I don’t have to impress you…”

“Wow. Thanks…” He chuckled, always wondering where she got this ready to go comebacks.

“You’re welcome.” She teased. “Isn’t it like 2AM there? Why aren’t you sleeping?”

“Jetlag has found me…” John announced letting out a semi-frustrated sigh.

“The worst…” She looked at him sympathetically.

“You’re telling me. I don’t know how Kennedy sleeps…” He looked over at the bed next to his seeing Kennedy happily asleep.

“You could always raid the mini bar…” Jamison proposed jokingly causing John to laugh.

“I could… but I rather talk to you.”

She clutched her chest in a dramatic way, “Totally flattered.” she jokingly said.

“You should be…” He chuckled, before realizing what he wanted to ask Jamison. “Was one of your secret projects the new Paramore album?”

“Yes sir.”

“I’m stoked for you…” He said sounding completely proud of her. “And backup vocals for a track? Now I have to take a listen…”

“Thank you… been doing a lot of bigger projects lately. The Producing Gig Gods have been very kind to me.” Jamison said sounding completely thankful with her job situation.

“Seems like it.” He smiled. “What’s the song you worked on? I’m going to buy it right now…” He began opening up his iTunes window and clicking on the store.

“It’s called, “Ain’t It Fun” I think it’ll be one of the singles off the album.”

“Downloading…” He said, as he searched then clicked on it. “Damn Wi-Fi…” He cursed, watching the download speed go slowly.

Jamison chuckled. “You should go to bed…”

“I will…” He said, looking at the clock to see it was half past 2. “I miss you.”

“I miss you too.” She smiled. “Have a good show… enjoy the sights. But go to bed!” She told him as she pointed to the screen straight at John, causing him to laugh.

“I’ll talk to you soon.”

“Count on it…” She said before signing off.

After the song finished downloading John clicked on it and began listening and smiled. Granted, he hadn’t listen to too much music from the “Warped Tour” scene like he used to but he immediately felt a surge of happy energy run through his body. It had seemed to baffle him that the person he was now dating was in the same industry as him—that was something he would have never anticipated.

As an attempt of procrastination for going to bed, John decided to check his email before trying to sleep again.

To: John O’Callaghan
From: Jamison Song
Subject: For you.

“I saw it was lightly raining over there and I thought of this poem by Langston Hughes after we hung up…

Let the rain kiss you.
Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops.
Let the rain sing you a lullaby.”


Sleep well and dream good dreams.

Jamie.


To: Jamison Song
From: John O’Callaghan
Subject: Re: For you.

I like you.
That is all.


------------

October 2013

The bus had dropped off John in Venice on the way to the venue. He had decided to make a surprise visit to see Jamison at Butch’s studio-- Rubyred Recordings. He walked up towards the parking lot and ran into a familiar face, none other than Butch Walker himself.

“John! What a surprise… what are you doing here?” Butch said giving John a quick hug.

“I wanted to surprise Jamison…” John said sheepishly while scratching the back of his head feeling like a boy meeting his girlfriend’s older brother for the first time.

“She’s inside in work mode… she could use a break.” He smirked, as he quickly picked on John’s nervous energy. “It’s good to see you man.” He said, trying to ease the tension.

“Likewise.”

“I gotta go for my weekly bike ride with my group, but I’ll see you.”

“Bye.” John said, as he watched Butch walk to his bike before heading into the studio.

“Bye.”

John walked into the studio quietly to see Jamison sitting at the soundboard with her headphones on intently working and completely in her own world. He quietly walked up and grabbed her shoulder in a sudden manner causing her to jump out of her seat and scream.

“Hi.” John chuckled, as she took off her headphones and looked at him like a wounded puppy.

“Oh jeez… you scared the crap out of me.” She said, clutching her chest with seemed to be beating rapidly.

“Sorry…” He said sheepishly before adding a smirk. “Not really.”

“What are you doing here?” She asked, giving him a proper greeting with a hug. “I was going to drive down to see you today.”

“I know, I thought it’d be nice if I surprised you at your place of work and if we went to the venue together.”

“A very welcome surprise despite almost dying of a heart attack.” She chuckled. “But that’s really sweet of you to do.”

“I was hoping if Butch would let me, I’d crash with you for the next couple of days since the venues are like an hour or two away from here. Plus, we have a day off in between San Diego and LA date. Get in as much time as I can before I am somewhere in the middle of nowhere for 2 months.” John said, giving her a hopeful look wishing she would take him up on his offer.

“You are more than welcome…” Jamison said, giving his arm a reassuring pat. “You really don’t have to go out of your way to do this…”

“I never have to, but I always I want to…” He assured her causing both of them to smile.

“You are a nice boy…” She teased. “I’ll buy you all the tacos you want from down the street. We can even eat it at the beach…”

“Sounds like a date.” He said with a smile while lacing his hand with hers.

The two walked down the street to a local taquería, ordered their food, and headed to the beach across the road. They settled at the sandy beach sitting on the sand while enjoying the ocean view.

“How were the first two shows?” Jamison asked, as she began taking out their food from the brown paper bag.

“Really good… the Anberlin dudes are just amazing live and as people. It’s been one of the best start of a fall tour.” John said, grabbing his burrito and began peeling off the aluminum foil.

“Good to hear. Now I am even more excited to see the live show tonight…” She said, as she began eating her food.

“We’re taping a spot for you on side stage. So you have to stay there.” He smirked.

“Alright.” She chuckled, wiping her mouth a napkin.

“How about you? How is work?”

“I guess I can tell you this since the album is going to be released soon. But the other big project I was working on was co-producing the Fall Out Boy comeback album with Butch.” She said casually. “I was featured on one on the songs… as a duet. Not just backing vocals…”

John looked at her in completely shock waiting for her to tell her she was just shitting with him but when that didn’t happen he quickly smiled. “Well, look at you. I am proud of you.”

“I have you to thank… forcing it upon me to face certain fears.” She said half jokingly causing John to laugh.

“I’m so proud of myself…” He said giving himself a pat on the back.

“You should be…”

“How did that all come about?”

“Butch, Brendan, and I… we all have the same management team as Fall Out Boy. So when they decided to do a comeback. Jonathan decided to keep it in the family and since Butch has worked with them, that’s how it all happened.” She explained. “As for me being on the album, that was all a weird fluke. I was doing scratch vocals for the demo for potential people to do the duet with. They decided to keep me instead of looking for someone. I don’t know why… but it happened. I let it be…”

“I’m sure the song sounds amazing. I’m kind of jealous…” He said, teasingly causing her to blush.

“Don’t be…” She assured him.

“I’m proud of you but also feel kind of bummed more people will know what an awesome set of pipes you have. You’re not a kept secret anymore…”

“If you pay me in Mexican food, I’ll sing for you…” She said, as she took a bite of her burrito.

“Deal.”

“You got some—“ Jamison wiped the corner of his mouth for him before wiping it onto a napkin. “There.”

“Thanks.” John said, sheepishly touching the spot where she had just wiped.

“What time do you have to be at the venue by?” She asked, looking at the watch on her cellphone seeing it was almost 2PM.

“I guess an hour before we go on, Garrett said he’ll check my mic and things for sound check. So I am yours for the day…” He gave her a lazy smile, as he began cleaning up the mess they had made and putting all the garbage into the paper bag they had.

“I like this plan…” She looked over and smiled at him.

“I like you… a lot.” He said, happily as he got up from his spot and dusted himself off before offering his hand out to Jamison to help her up.

“Feeling is mutual.” She grabbed his hand and lifted herself up. “Want to go to the studio and mess around?” She asked, as John put his arm around her shoulder and pulled her closer to him, walking back to the studio.

“In what way?” John asked half jokingly, looking at her in a suggestive manner causing her to shake her head and hold back laughter.

“I mean we could do both—but I was actually wondering if you wanted to play with Butch’s guitars and things.” She said looking at him, completely unfazed by his advances.

“Let’s do it then… both of it, that is…” He said, with a laugh causing Jamison to also break out into laughter.

“You’re ridiculous.”

“You offered.”

“That I did.” She shook her head.

“Let’s go mess around then…” John said, with a smile as he pulled her even closer to him.

“Lead the way.”
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N: I feel like it’s been awhile, has it been? I don’t know… the days blur together lately. But holy, 300+ readers (302, to be exact!)?! Thanks guys, it always means a bunch. I hope you guys are enjoying it. I won’t say too much of what’s to come for this story but hopefully you’ll like where it goes…

As always, comments is always appreciated but never required. But I’m always curious to hear your theories and thoughts and things…

This chapter goes out to everdeen and chelsea13… woop!

Question of the day: What occupation would you like to attempt (not necessarily dream job something you wanted to try out of curiosity)?

Personal Replies

chelsea13- “Get me a dentist because I have a toothache from how sweet this chapter was!!” – HAHAHA this made me laugh. I might not completely get it but as long as you understand your feelings, that’s all that matters!!! I trust you!!!

Look at you being all punny (see what I did there?)!

everdeen - Girl, so like you can talk about anything on here, anything you want and never apologize for it! I am here to listen! Let’s just keep those tears to a minimal!!! I have never seen anyone enjoy my Q’s more than you. Thank you for being you and existing in this world.

First off, yay for you! Gosh, the snow melted where I am right now and it's just cold… so cold. But I like the cold better than the hot weather. So, I can’t complain. I hope you give all the hugs to Pat and the gang and you’re a gym junkie? I try to be one but I just can’t seem to enjoy it, yet, I still go every morning… at least I’m consistent? Haha.