Sequel: Stealing Glances
Status: COMPLETE- Sequel Stealing Glance is up!

Making Hits for Your Heart

Track Twenty-Five

The next morning John woke up with a smile on his face. He looked over to Jamison’s side of the bed to see it empty. John panicked for a moment before realizing he was at her place, she couldn’t have just left him there. He found his clothes that had been strewn over from the pervious night and put it on before walking out of her room to see Jamison in the kitchen with a hoodie and matching sweat pants on while making tea and without even realizing himself, John had let out a sigh of relief. It wasn’t a dream.

He walked over behind Jamison and wrapped his arms around her before resting his chin on her shoulder. “Hi.”

“Hi.” She greeted with a chuckle before taking a sip of the tea she had made.

“How are you?” He asked, cheerfully as he continued to hold her.

“I’m alright. Yourself?”

“Good…” He smiled letting out a happy sigh.

“You alright?”

“I had a semi-bad dream more of a reality. I thought you just left me after having your way with me.”

“No, I got cold. Hence the outfit and tea.” She lifted her mug to his face. “This is real. Sorry.” She joked causing John to chuckle.

“What a dream come true waking up to the sight of this.” He said sarcastically but actually meaning every word that was coming out of his mouth.

“The cliché thing would be you waking up to me in the kitchen making you breakfast wearing nothing but your shirt, right?” She teased with a chuckle. “Sadly, we have brunch plans…”

“You’re like a constant reality check, it’s quite nice.” He chuckled before kissing her cheek. She turned to look at him. “Good morning.” He said looking straight at her.

“Morning.” She smiled.

“I love you.”

“The feeling is mutual.” She chuckled. “You should go get ready if we’re going to have brunch with Squire and Jane.”

“Why should I?” He asked, pretending to whine like a 5 year old.

“Because you love me?” Jamison said, looking at John with a straight face.

“You play dirty…” He chuckled, as he let go of her and shook his head.

“You gotta play the game.” She shrugged nonchalantly.

“I’m going to go shower…”

“Go ahead. I’ll get ready in the other bathroom.”

After Jamison showered and got dressed into a comfortable but still somewhat appropriate outfit for brunch (which consisted of an 8123 pullover and black jeans), her cellphone began to ring.

“Hello?” She answered, as she finished putting her socks on in the living room.

“We’re already here waiting to get a table, take your time. It might take a bit.” Matt said.

“Okay, thanks.” Jamison said hanging up her phone while opening the door to her bedroom without knocking. “John, I- AHHH!” She screamed and covered her eyes at the sight of John wearing nothing but his boxers while changing his shirt.

“AHHHH!” John screamed in natural response covering himself but mostly screaming due to Jamison’s reaction.

“Sorry. Sorry. So sorry.” She said still covering her eyes.

“Why did you scream?” He asked loudly, still riled up from his previous reaction.

“I don’t know.” She clutched her heart letting out a deep breath.

“You’re ridiculous.” John let out a laugh in disbelief not knowing how else to react.

“This is like walking in on Josh almost naked all over again…” She said to herself. “I always need to knock…”

He walked over to Jamison and kissed her cheek, completely endeared by her and her antics. “You’re cute.”

“My eyes have been tainted way too much within the last 20-something years…”

“You’ve seen me without a shirt on.” He responded. “You’ve seen me in a lot less.” He said, raising his eyebrows suggestively. He began putting on the rest of his clothes.

“I just felt rude and like I violated your privacy.” She assured him, causing him to chuckle at her response.

“You can violate me anytime.” He said jokingly in a suggestive tone causing her to roll her eyes.

“That sounds so—“

“Wonderful, doesn’t it?” He answered as he ran his hair through his fingers.

“Let’s go… eggs and alcohol await us.” She said, gesturing her head towards the front door. John grabbed his wallet and put his arm around her shoulder as they began walking out the door together.

“Hey…”

She turned to look at him. “Yeah?”

“I love you.” He said giving her a lazy smile.

“I love you too.” She smiled.

After brunch with Matt and Jane, John and Jamison had spent the day roaming around the city and shopping for records together before they ended up eating takeout in bed while watching ‘Check It Out! With Dr. Steve Brule’.

“We had sex on this bed last night.” John teased, as he kept his eyes glued to the TV screen. He loved that he had something new to heckle Jamison with.

“Would you like a sheet cake that says, “Congrats On The Sex”—you know like that Lonely Island song with Akon?” Jamison deadpanned.

“If you’re offering…” He said with a smirk playing along.

She began to blush profusely trying to keep her composure. “Shut up.” She punched his shoulder causing him to burst out into hysterical laughter.

John let out a satisfied sigh before looking over at Jamison. “I am so bummed I am leaving… I don’t want to.”

“You want to and you have to.” She said looking over at him with a smile.

“Honestly… part of me doesn’t.” He admitted causing her to look at him in surprise.

“Why is that?” Jamison looked at him in anticipation for his answer.

“I don’t get to experience this often.” He put his arm around her and pulled her head towards his shoulder. “And it’s nice having a “normal” life so to speak. I mean I’ve seen parts of the world a lot of people our age would never see, I get to do a job that doesn’t require me for 9-5 work hours and I like the work I do, I get to meet people from all walks of life… but I am constantly on the move. I don’t get to have a real routine or relationship really—not like this, so knowing that I have to give this up for a few weeks starting from tomorrow. Sucks. Cause… I like how far we’ve come and I love you.” He explained, wondering if he was scaring the crap out of her with his confession.

“Then just for now, why don’t we stay in bed like this and just put things on pause cause tomorrow when you get out of this bed. It’s back to reality in a sense…” She said, staring at the TV screen but completely focused on John. “But for now, we pause.”

“Alright.” John said, with a weak smile as he continued to watch the TV screen but not paying any attention to it at all.

The two sat in a comfortable silence something they had seem to share since they first met... something they two were grateful for.

Absolutely happy with just sharing each other's company.

-------------

Jamison and Jake were in San Francisco preparing to work with Matt Nathanson on his latest album. The two had spent the day with Matt doing co-writing sessions and figuring out plans for the upcoming album.

Late that night, Jake and Jamison had went back to Jamison’s place and she had shown Jake her new home studio. He had seemed completely taken back by the space.

“You did a sweet job with this place…” Jake said, lounging on the futon and looking around Jamison’s home studio.

“I learn from you.” She teased, taking a seat on the revolving chair.

“I never thought you would make your own make shift studio. I thought you’d always use the plethora of studios that were always at your disposal.” He smirked. They both knew he was right to an extent.

“I was inspired to make this place, it’s nothing big. At least now we can track and demo here with Matt without using Squire’s space.”

“This is great.” He repeated, nodding his head in agreement with Jamison’s previous remark.

“It is…” She looked around at her own space and smiled to herself silently thanking John.

“So, how are you and John?” Jake smirked giving Jamison a knowing look as she laughed.

“Good.” She nodded, “He’s on tour for the next few weeks—Europe. Doing his thing…” She answered not knowing how to exactly answer without sounding like she missed him too much.

“It must kind of suck not being able to see each other and the time difference.” He said sympathetically knowing exactly what she was going through. Being the person on the other side of it all, he knew just as hard it was for John as well.

“It’s alright. Kind of sucks but I have your face to distract me.” She joked trying to change the subject.

Jake laughed before getting up from the futon. “We have a long day tomorrow. I am going to bed. I’m stoked to be roomies for 2 weeks.” He joked, as he walked over and place a hand on her shoulder.

“Nightmare for me.” She deadpanned causing him to gasp in mock disbelief.

“You love me.”

“I do.” She laughed, nodding in agreement.

The two had parted ways and went to their respective rooms. Jamison began sorting through her mail. Which was mostly junk mail but one thing caught her eye—a postcard. It was a black and white photo of Paris and she knew exactly whom it was from but what surprised her most were the words that were written upon the card.

To: Jamie

Greetings from Paris…

I will take your heart
I will take your soul out of your body
As though I were God
I will not be satisfied
With the touch of your hand
Nor the sweet of your lips alone
I will take your heart for mine
I will take your soul
I will be God when it comes to you –Langston Hughes

I miss you… I love you.
I don’t think I can find the words (yet) to describe how I feel for you. Hopefully, this poem will suffice.

- John


Jamison wondered how John knew this was her favorite poem from Langston Hughes. She was more surprised by the fact he chose this poem to describe how he felt but this had told Jamison everything she needed to know about how John felt.

And it was a mix of daunting and happiness for her in know that.

-----

The Maine were now in Milan back in their hotel after another successful show. The tour in Europe had gone swimmingly thus far and it was less than a week and they’d be flying back home. Basically, John would be in a fairly similar time zone to Jamison again. The constant missed calls on Skype, playing phone tag and leaving voice messages, WhatsApp messages that were hours apart, and everything else.

John was ready to end the cycle.

While on tour John had been constantly working on the untitled project he had Jamison had been working on for months. It was one way he had Jamison around even when she wasn’t around. And it helped him with the constant disappointment he got when he couldn’t get in touch with her or vice versa. This was one way he felt Jamison was around him despite physically being another world away at the moment.

“Hey man, what are you up to?” Jared said, walking into the hotel room he was sharing with John.

“Just working on some stuff.” John said, closing his journal before sitting up more straight and giving Jared his attention.

“Band stuff or secret project with Jam?” He smirked already knowing the answer as he took a seat on his bed.

“The latter.”

“You two… you really love her, don’t you?” He asked. “You seem different compared to all the other relationships you’ve been in… or I feel like you are.” He mused to himself for a moment as he looked at John who broke out into a sheepish smile.

“It’s weird.”

“How so?”

“The other people I’ve dated just… at some point in the relationship. I always saw the end of the road. No matter how much I liked them… I somehow always saw an end.” John explained.

“And with Jam?”

“When I think about Jamie and think about our future I see an infinite abyss with infinite possibilities. I don’t see an end…” He said, breaking out into a smile as he thought about it.

“You are really in love.” Jared said, with a smile. This had been a whole new part of John he hadn’t seen and it was exciting for him as well to see his friend of over a decade be happy. He knew exactly how John was feeling.

“I am.” He nodded.

“It looks good on you.” Jared shook his head. “Suits you well.”

“Thanks.” John let out a sheepish chuckle.

“This won’t mess up our songs, right?” Jared asked jokingly causing John to laugh.

“Hopefully not.” John shook his head.

“I’m glad to see you happy man.” Jared said. “This is a different side, I’ve never seen and it’s a good one.”

“Thanks, that means a lot.”

“Thank Jam.” He chuckled. “I’m going to go hang out with Gare for a bit. Get lost in your daydreams lover boy.”

John watched Jared go out of the room before picking up his cellphone and trying to get ahold of Jamison but once again unable to. He had decided to just leave her a voicemail, something they both had been doing often with one another.

“Hey, it’s me… you’re probably asleep or at the studio or something. We keep missing each other but I guess the whole time difference and schedule thing is throwing us off. Either way, I miss you but call me when you get the chance. Tag, you’re it in this game of phone tag.” John said somewhat solemnly with a sigh. “Oh yeah… I miss you. I love you.” He smiled before hanging up.

He let out another sigh.

John knew this was the life he lived, the life he chose, but it never made it any easier to have so many homes in so many places. It was never easy to maintain relationships for him in any aspect—friends, lovers, family, and everything else in between. He was constantly on the move but he always tried his hardest to make sure the ones he loved knew he was around even if it wasn’t physically.
More than anyone he hoped Jamison knew that…

He hoped she always knew that he’d always be around.
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N: This one is a bit short but it’s needed to get through to the next chapter. Anywho, sorry things have been taking so long… life has been happening and inspiration has been lacking. But I hope you are still enjoying this story (silent or not). Let me know if you are—feedback is welcome but not required. As always, thanks for the comments/subs/recs.

Next chapter will consist of 8123 Manila, Christmas with the O'Callaghans, Australia?

Question of the day: What would (or what would you like) your theme song be if you had a TV based on you?

Personal Replies

chelsea13
- I secretly know your schedule and I am trying to ruin your life. Kidding. What timing though! But don’t even worry about it!

Jamison seems very what you see is what you get but if you think back to when she and John first met and the talks they had, it was kind of foreshadowing their future :) that is all I will say about that. Also, I speak the truth! You are quite an inspiration.

everdeen- Oh you, oh you, oh you… where do I begin? First, you should listen to Taking Back Sunday (and that era of alternative/pop-punk/pop-rock) it’s a good history lesson of sorts of how The Maine and that generation of bands got started because of bands like TBS and The Starting Line (which John has mentioned was like one of his soundtracks in his high school days). It was awesome for me to watch that video cause I grew up in that same generation of music as John.

Girl might know a lot of people, but that’s all cause of work. It comes with the job haha.

PINK IS THE BEST. So badass and amazing. Did you know before she became a singer she was training to be a gymnast (and I think at some point was trying to be apart of the Olympics).

You can know someone your whole life but never really know them. I think to an extent it’s always how much someone is willing to share, not so much based on time. Time only is a lovely bonus to it all.

Oh thank Micheal Christ you said that, I was mad worried…

Fun fact: Been a huge fan of music in general hence me knowing one too many random trivia and things about musicians I love. Plus, stories from Butch’s book (which any music fan should read, so many wonderful stories about life, music (industry), and everything in between). But I like adding these kind of elements, it makes it more fun (to me).

The Killers reference?