Sequel: Stealing Glances
Status: COMPLETE- Sequel Stealing Glance is up!

Making Hits for Your Heart

Track Eight

November 2012

Studio updates were important to the guys—keeping in touch with the fans and a video diary of some sorts for them. Garrett had been in charge of video duties when he wasn’t recording he seemed to always have a camera at hand and when he was recording Jamison was helping him with some of the duties. As well as the other members taking over Garrett’s sacred duties from time to time and putting their own (lack of) camera skills to the test.

Today Garrett had decided to record “A Day In The Studio” video from the minute they woke up to whatever happened during recording and everything in between.

“This is what an average day is like for us… except today we’re going to start recording a bit late.” Garrett explained from behind the camera as he stood with Kennedy as they were in front of Jamison’s door. “We’re going to go wake Jamison, one of our producers up…

“Shh…” Kennedy said putting a finger to his lips as he opened up the door and the two quietly walked into her room.

Garrett zoomed his camera lens on a sleeping Jamison. Kennedy and Garrett were looking through the camera screen and holding back laughter at the semi-awkward situation.

“JAMISON!!!” Kennedy and Garrett yelled together causing Jamison to groan into her pillow.

“Go away…” She mumbled while rubbing her eyes.

“She’s usually the first one along with Pat…” Kennedy commented.

“Sometimes I like to sleep in too…” She mumbled slowly sitting up from her bed.

“You gotta be fun for the camera. We’re making a video to update the fans.” Garrett said going up to Jamison with the camera as she was rubbing her eyes hoping to rub the sleep away.

“Good morning to the fans of The Maine… I am sorry for my lack of presentation.” Jamison said into the camera with eyes still glazed with sleep, gesturing to her pajamas. “It’s like 9AM. Why are you guys awake so early?” She asked Garrett who was still behind his camera filming her.

“Pat woke us all up running into our rooms and jumping on our beds.” Kennedy said, with a laugh. “That little shit.”

“How about I make us pancakes or something?” She asked, looking behind the camera at the two guys who seemed to be happy with the idea.

“Sounds awesome!” Garrett said, putting up his thumb up in front of the camera.

“Where’s my hoodie?” Jamison asked herself stumbling out of bed and falling to the floor causing Garrett and Kennedy to burst out in laughter and Jamison just laid on the floor after her spill.

After a few more minutes just lying on the floor. Jamison, Jared, Garrett, and Kennedy were in the kitchen prepping and recording the making of breakfast.

“What you doing?” Garrett asked, going over to the stove panning his camera at Jamison who was flipping pancakes.

“Making pancakes…” She said, into the camera then pointing to the frying pan.

“What about you Jared?” Garrett turned his camera over to Jared who was standing next to Jamison.

“Frying bacon.” Jared said giving a thumbs up to the camera.

“And Kennedy is just being a bum and drinking coffee…” Garrett said, panning the camera to Kennedy who just smiled for the camera before taking another sip of his coffee.

“Garrett, can you make some toast?” Jamison asked as she put aside the pancakes and began making scrambled eggs.

“I got it.” Garrett said, going to the toaster oven and picking up the loaf of bread while still holding the camera. “Look at me making toast, I am the toast man… I woah—“ Garrett dropped his camera onto the counter while trying to film himself putting toast into the toaster oven.

“Nice one dumbass.” John said chuckling as he walked into the kitchen to see Garrett’s failed attempt at making toast.

“Shut up dude.” Garrett said, turning off the camera and re-attempted to do what he was asked. John just smirked and went over to the cabin above the coffee machine to get a mug.

“Do you want some coffee Jamison?” John offered as he was pouring his own cup.

“I don’t drink coffee.” She simply said, concentrating on making eggs.

“How do you live?” Kennedy asked as he happily took a sip of his caffeine bliss.

“I survive.” She joked, “I don’t like the taste… I am a child.” Pouring the eggs she had made onto a plate and putting on the kitchen island along with everything else that was made for breakfast.

“Food!” Pat said happily walking into the kitchen seeing an array on food on the kitchen island. “Let’s eat!” Jared grabbed utensils and plates passing it along to everyone.

“Justin is in town, he was wondering if he could stop by the studio…” Jared said, looking at his phone while chewing a piece of toast.

“Brighten Justin?” Garrett asked, as Jared nodded. “I haven’t seen him in ages… tell him to come.”

“Do you mind?” Pat asked, forgetting they were recording which they had to focus on.

“Not at all. I am a huge fan of Brighten.” Jamison said, pouring more ketchup onto her eggs.

“You are? Wait, why am I surprised?” Garrett said, rolling his eyes as he took another bite of his bacon.

“He’s more than welcome to come down here. You guys should let him listen to some tracks. Get some outside perspective.” She suggested.

“I’ll text him now.” Jared said, quickly typing things onto his phone.

After breakfast, everyone went into the studio and starting setting up. Brendan had taken the day off so it was just Jamison and the guys in the studio for the afternoon. They had spent the day figuring additional things to put onto the songs they had already recorded. While working on ideas they had heard footsteps enter the studio. Cautiously, Justin had walked in with a smile upon his face. Immediately, his friends greeted him happily with bro hugs.

“Hey man, it’s been awhile.” Jared open his arms and embraced Justin with a hug.

“It has.” Justin said with a chuckle hugging Jared and each of the guys greeted Justin with their hellos and hugs.

“Jamison, this is Justin.” Kennedy introduced happily gesturing over at Justin who walked arms length towards Jamison.

“Hi, I’m Justin Richards. I’ve heard a lot about you… or as much as I can via video updates, twitter, instagram, and the occasional text message.” Justin greeted her with a chuckle as he extended his hand for her to shake.

“Hi, I’m Jamison Song. I’m a huge fan.” Jamison said, with a smile as she took his hand and shook it.

“Of me? No way.” Justin looked at her in disbelief.

“I am. I have all the Brighten records… your music and vocals are fantastic.”

“Thank you so much.” He said completely flattered and smiled at the compliment she had given hi,.

“Thank you for making music.” She countered causing Justin to laugh.

“I like her.” Justin said telling the guys while pointing at Jamison causing everyone to laugh.

“Do you want to listen to some tracks?” Pat asked, excited but also completely nervous at the same time.

“Yeah man, I am stoked to hear what you guys are up to.” Justin said, taking a seat on the couch in the control room ready to listen to what his friends had been up to.

The guys had decided to showcase what would be possible singles for the album “Happy” and “Love & Drugs” to Justin. They all sat listening together in silence lost in their own world till the songs were done then everyone’s eyes went on Justin wondering what he thought. They knew he would be completely honest and not just shower them with compliments and that’s what seemed to be more frightening.

“What is the verdict?” Garrett asked cautiously trying to read Justin’s facial expressions.

“I am fucking excited for this record. Can you guys hurry it up?” Justin said enthusiastically with a smile.

“We’re trying man, we’re trying.” Jared said with a laugh as everyone let out a silent sigh of relief. “We’re only here till the end of the month and we’re doing some small shows and a few college shows before heading home for the holidays.”

“Fuck… we’ve been here for like a little over two months.” Kennedy said out loud in a bit of shock.

“We came here end of August and it’s the start of November… we have.” Pat said as he calculated the timeline in his head.

“We’ve been deprived of In-N-Out for that long?” Garrett said sounding completely serious.

“Oh god…” Jared muttered under his breath in shock.

Justin had stuck around watching the guys and Jamison work. They decided to take a small break in the longue area while Jamison was taking a call from Brendan.

“I gotta run an errand real quick for the studio. But I’ll be back later…” Jamison said, with her purse on her shoulder before heading out.

“Now that Jamison is gone we can talk shit about her.” Justin joked, “So, how is it working with Brendan and Jamison?”

“They’re both great… it’s all about the vibes and feeling. It isn’t so calculated this time around. Which is something new.” John said, taking a sip of his water.

“We’re learning so fucking much… our lives shows are going to be even more rad.” Garrett said with a smirk.

“This whole process is insane man.” Jared said in a bit of disbelief at how much time had passed and what they’ve done.

“Seems like it… I am proud of you guys. Look at where you are now. It seems like just yesterday we all met with our questionable haircuts.” Justin said causing everyone to laugh.

“Fuck, it’s been 5 years…” Kennedy said, realizing how long they’ve been a band and their friendship with Justin-- one of their first tours was with Brighten.

“And hopefully to many more.” John said with a smile.

“We should go out tonight—it’s Friday. You guys are loners here so I am sure you’ve spent most night in.” Justin suggested.

“Yeah man, we should.” Kennedy agreed always up for going out and having a good time with friends. The others shook their head in agreement.

“I gotta work on some stuff real quick at my place but let’s meet up downtown tonight.” Justin said getting up from his seat and readying himself to head out.

“Text Jared and we’ll be there.” John said, patting Jared’s shoulder.

“Invite Jamison along too.” Justin said, giving his hugs to each of the guys.

“Will do. See you later dude.” Pat said before walking him out of the studio.

Jamison had texted Jared telling him she’d be home later in the afternoon as she was still running her errand and that they would pick up where they had left off on Monday and to start their weekend now. The guys went back home and slowly got ready to meet Justin for dinner. Later that day Jamison came home with bags of groceries in hand.

“Want to go out with Justin tonight?” Jared asked, as he grabbed one of the grocery bags Jamison was holding and set it on the counter.

“I can’t, I am on baby sitting duties tonight.” She said, looking apologetic. “The infamous Declan Benson is my victim for the weekend. Brendan and Brittany went on a getaway weekend.” Just then, the front door opened then shut with a small child no older than 5 years old ran in with a backpack strapped onto his shoulders.

“Uncle Jamison!” Declan yelled running into Jamison arms.

“Uncle?” Jared looked at her with raised eyebrows completely amused by the term “uncle”.

“Long story.” She chuckled then looked over at Declan, “Hey dude… you ready to spend the weekend with me?”

“Been waiting for this weekend!” Declan said sounding completely excited as Garrett, Kennedy, and Pat walked into the kitchen.

“These are the guys from The Maine.” Jamison began introducing Declan to the people entering the room.

“Dad told me about them he says they are cool kids.” Declan announced causing the guys to burst into smiles completely flattered that Brendan had told his son such a thing.

“Did he?” Jamison said, looking over at the guys with a smile. “That’s Pat.” She pointed over at Pat who gave Declan a wave. “Jared, Garrett, and Kennedy.”

“Hey dude.” Jared said, with a wave as the other guys greeted Declan as well.

“Hi.” Declan waved happily.

“Should we wake John to go out?” Pat suggested, looking at the time on his cellphone. John had passed out in his room when they had gotten back home, claiming he would just be taking a power nap.

“He seemed exhausted… we should just let him sleep it off.” Jared said, waving his hand dismissively at the idea.

“Yeah, I think he needs it.” Garrett agreed.

“We should get going.” Kennedy said, as the guys nodded.

“It was nice meeting you Declan.” Pat said smiling and giving another wave to the kid.

“Nice meeting you too.” Declan said waving at each of the guys.

“Have fun guys. Be safe.” Jamison said, giving them a wave.

“We’ll see you later.” Kennedy said with a smile. “Have a good time.”

Jamison crotched down to Declan’s eye level and smiled as Declan gave her another hug.

“Why don’t you go to my room and unpack your stuff then we can do whatever you want.” Jamison said, helping Declan take off his backpack.

“Can we make cookies?” He asked.

“Sure.” Jamison said, cheerfully causing Declan to raise his arm in the air happily to Jamison’s room with his backpack trailing behind him.

The two began making cookies together sticking random things in from chocolate chips, pretzels, and potato chips. Declan was concentrating on stirring the batter while wear headphones and listening to Jamison’s iPod. While Jamison was cleaning up bit by bit, John came out of his room a bit disheveled from his nap he walked into the kitchen to see Jamison and Declan.

“Hi.” John said, scratching the back of his head a bit confused at the sight in front of him.

“Hey.” She smiled, “You feel asleep and no one wanted to disturb your beauty sleep so they left without you. If you want you can take my car.” She offered.

“No, it’s fine. I’m a bit exhausted to go out tonight.” John admitted sheepishly, “Who is this?” He looked over at Declan who was still zoned out and didn’t even notice John walk into the room. Jamison took out an earbud causing Declan to come back to reality and look up at the stranger in the kitchen.

“This is Declan Benson. Son of Brendan Benson.” Jamison announced, “Declan. This is John.”

“Hi.” Declan said waving.

“Hi.” John said with a smile, “What are you guys up to?”

“Baking cookies.” Jamison answered.

“And Listening to The Zombies!” Declan said before putting back in his earbud and zoning out once more.

“He loves The Zombies.”

“He does take after his dad—complete badass.” John chuckled, completely believing that the kid in front of him was a product of Brendan Benson.

“I can’t argue there.” She chuckled.

“Uncle Jamison, can we have pizza for dinner?” Declan asked, taking out his earbud again.

“Uncle?” John mouthed looking at Jamison a bit confused and amused all at once.

“Long story.” She whispered, “Yeah dude, we can… we can bake these later. Why don’t we clean up first then we’ll order in pizza. What do you want on your pizza?” She asked, Declan who took out the spoon from the cookie batter and started to eat the leftover bits from it.

“Peppers!” Declan shouted causing Jamison to laugh.

“What do you want on the pizza?” Jamison asked looking over at John.

“Anything goes.” John said, with a shrug.

“I am gonna order our usual.” She told Declan. “Why don’t you start cleaning up?”

“Okay.” Declan said, putting the spoon into the sink and running to the bathroom to wash his hands.

“So, I know you’re tired but want to help babysit? I swear he isn’t a handful—he got over that when he was like 4. He’s in his fantastic 5’s now.” Jamison said, with a laugh.

“I’d love to.”

After cleaning the kitchen and ordering the pizza, John and Declan had decided to play Guitar Hero together—Declan kicking John’s ass. Before John could lose anymore of his dignity to a 5 year old the doorbell was his saving grace.

“Pizza is here!” Jamison said grabbing her wallet and taking out some money, “You want to hand the money?” she asked Declan who ran to the door.

“Yeah!” Declan said taking the money from Jamison’s hand as she opened the door to see a teenage pizza delivery boy holding their dinner.

“Hey Jae.” The boy said with a smile.

“Hey Jerry.” Jamison said smiling as she took the pizzas from him.

“Your usual. That will be 23.70.”

“Here you go.” Declan said handing Jerry his money. “Keep the change.”

“Thanks Declan.” Jerry said laughing patting Declan on the head.

“Thank you for the pizza.” Declan said giving Jerry a thumbs up.

“Enjoy guys.” Jerry said before heading back to his car.

“Alright… dinner is here.” Jamison announced heading to the living room and plotting on the floor with the pizza boxes.

“Uncle Jamison, what classic movie are we going to watch?” Declan asked taking a seat next to her as John followed.

“Today we will learn about the awesomeness that is called, ‘Space Jam’—Bugs Bunny is in it.” Jamison said, looking over the DVD collection and taking out the ‘Space Jam’ DVD.

“So it’s a cartoon?” Declan asked as Jamison went over to the DVD player and put in the movie.

“Kind of…” Jamison chuckled, not knowing how to describe the movie. “Come on… let’s eat.” She went back down to the floor and opened up the pizzas.

“Here you go…” Declan said, handing John a napkin and paper plate.

“Why thank you.” John said, politely completely charmed by Declan’s manners.

During the movie, Jamison baked the cookies Declan and her had prepared earlier. After, Declan was slowly winding down with his eyes coated in sleep.

“So you teach him about the ‘classic’ movies?” John smirked as he whispered into Jamison’s ear.

“’Space Jam’ is a classic—cinematic gold.” She mumbled as John laughed, “Alright dude, time for bed.” Jamison said getting up from the floor.

“Can’t I stay up just a little longer?” Declan whined but his eyes said otherwise.

“Sorry dude, I promised your dad you’d go to bed at 9… it’s 9:30. But if you go to bed now, I’ll make you french toast.” She said negotiating with the 5 year old.

“But you always make it for me.” Declan said, causing John to chuckle.

“True.” She shook her head, “Will you do your favorite uncle a favor then?” Jamison pouted.

“Oh alright.” Declan rolled his eyes getting up from the floor.

“Go brush your teeth and get into your pajamas and I’ll tuck you in.” Jamison said turning Declan towards the direction to the bathroom.

“So, if he’s taking over your room. Where do you sleep?” John asked, as he took a seat on the couch.

“This wonderful couch.” She pointed to the couch.

“You should take my room.” He offered.

“No, it’s totally fine.”

“I insist.”

“You don’t have TV in your room. I need infomercials to lull me to sleep.” Jamison said with a smile insisting she was okay with staying on the couch.

“Fine. But my offer stands.” John gave her a smile.

“I’ll keep it in mind Gentleman O’Callaghan.” Jamison gave him a small bow causing John to roll his eyes and laugh.

“Ready!” Declan yelled running into the room in his pajamas.

“Let’s go!” Jamison said running behind Declan as he ran towards her room.

Declan slipped himself into Jamison’s bed making himself comfortable. As Jamison looked through the books Declan had brought to read to him. John quietly walked towards his room but decided to make a pit stop and peek into Jamison’s room. He stood by the door quietly making sure he was out of view from the two.

“Will you sing me a song?” Declan asked.

“No story?” Jamison asked, as Declan shook his head. “Alright… what song?” She walked over to the keyboard next to her bed and turned it on.

“That Bob Dylan one you sing me…” Declan said, as Jamison warmed herself up by playing a few chords.

Jamison smiled to herself, as she began playing the intro to Bob Dylan’s “Make You Feel My Love” and began singing.

When the rain is blowing in your face,
And the whole world is on your case,
I could offer you a warm embrace
To make you feel my love.

When the evening shadows and the stars appear,
And there is no one there to dry your tears,
I could hold you for a million years
To make you feel my love.


John watched intently as she was singing the rest of the song. He was somewhat surprised-- Jamison had a really nice voice. It was different from his, Jamison had a clear voice compared to his raspy one but still had soul to it. He was completely fascinated by the sight in front of him. He was seeing Jamison beyond the soundboard and studio. Jamison finished the song and played the final chords before getting up from the keyboard and back to her bed.

“Goodnight dude.” Jamison said to Declan patting his head.

“Night.” Declan said, closing his eyes as Jamison turned off the lights in her room.

“Oh gosh…” Jamison said clutching her chest totally caught off guard by John standing in front of the door.

“I didn’t know you sang…” John smirked following Jamison down the hall.

“I don’t…” She said, nonchalantly not even turning around to answer him.

“Then what were you just doing?” Jamison stopped and turned around.

“Baking a cake?” She said jokingly.

“You’re an interesting one.” John said with a chuckle.

“I don’t sing… often… or well.” She simply said before turning back around continuing to walk.

“I don’t believe the latter part of the statement.”

“That’s debatable.” She shrugged.

Just as John was about to rebuttal, his pocket started to vibrate he took out his phone to see a text message from Jared.

We are too wasted to come home sleeping at JRich’s house. LONG LIVE BEER AND POTATOS.

“I would have never been able to decipher this text message from Jared, if autocorrect didn’t exist...” John said with a chuckle.

“What does it say?”

“They’re all too drunk to drive home and are spending the night at Justin’s. Thank you autocorrect.” John said, putting his phone back into his pocket.

“At least they are safe…” Jamison said, heading into the kitchen.

“That’s debatable.” John mimicked, smirking as he took a seat on the couch in the living room. “So, is babysitting rock star’s children another side job you have?” He teased.

“Sometimes… Declan is like the only kid I consistently babysit and take care of. But I have been known to take care of a few you might know Cash Soloman—Soli’s kid. He is another regular I like to hang out with when I am tired of man children like you.” Jamison said from the kitchen causing John to laugh.

“You’re good with kids.”

“Oh no… Declan is an exception to the rule.” Jamison said with a smile, “He used to be super hyperactive it was hard to keep up most of the time but now he’s mellowed out a lot is just kind of even more awesome. He seemed to have picked up on mellowing out from Brendan and Brittany. But there is still the enthusiastic outgoing within him. He knows how to behave with me cause I am awesome Uncle Jamison.”

“I wish I was as cool as him when I was his age. He seems to have such awesome taste in music.” John laughed thinking about how he was when he was 5 years old.

“He’s so cool… his favorite holiday records are Sufjan Stevens’s Christmas records and he loves Rufus Wainwright, He also likes The Kills, and of course The Raconteurs— “dad’s music is awesome.” He really loves listen to music all the time— which drives Brendan crazy cause he doesn’t like listen to music all the time cause he does it all day here and what not. I am the opposite so Declan and I totally get along. I am a child.” Jamison joked.

“That’s totally awesome. It sounds like he’s getting good and proper music education.”

“We only hope.” She chuckled, “Thanks for the help by the way.”

“My pleasure.”

“If I totally got babysitting money from Brendan. I would split it with you.” Jamison laughed walking into the living room holding two glasses, “But hopefully, this Macallan 12 will be enough.” She handed one of the glasses over to John.

“Fancy.” He said in a bit of awe as he sniffed the glass filled with expensive scotch. “Thank you.”

“Thank you for the help.” She said, taking a seat next to him on the couch and sipped her scotch.

“I feel like I am learning a lot of bits and pieces about you… it’s been over 2 months and I feel like I know so little about you.” John smirked at Jamison, “You surprise me far more than you should.”

“You could just ask, for the most part I think I’ll answer.” Jamison countered, laughing at John’s teasing manner at her.

“What’s the fun in that?” He joked.

“Wanna play a game then? Make learning about me exciting.” Jamison said half jokingly setting her scotch down.

“What game?”

“Truth or drink.”

“How do you play?”

“Ask any question, you either answer—truthfully, I might add… or if you don’t want to answer. You take a drink… and get wasted and spill your secrets anyways.” She said, laughing at the latter part of the explanation.

“Anything?”

“Anything is fair game.” She said, going into the kitchen and grabbing a bottle of Jameson whiskey and shot glasses. “Deepest secrets to favorite snack food and anything else in between.”

“Alright, let’s play…” John smirked as Jamison opened the bottle and filled the shot glasses.
♠ ♠ ♠
Raised the rating due to language mostly.

But another chapter... and once again thanks to anyone who reads/subscribes/recommends/comments on this story it means a lot. But I do have a confession to make... I don't know if I should continue this story-- some days I am like totally into writing it, other days I am like "ABANDON SHIP!", and I don't know... sometimes I feel like I am writing to no one/for no reason... but I am babbling what do I know.

Anyways, feedback is always appreciated but not required! I am always super thankful for any feedback I get and like I've said before I hope to connect w/ each of you through this story (I do truly mean that).

Thank you to each and everyone of you. I hope you are enjoying it!