‹ Prequel: Chain of Events
Status: Feeling depressed and I chose the title because that what it feels like right now. Don't bash me for what I feel. I changed it from NC-17 to PG-13 since my plans changed for this story.

My Heart's a Battleground

Fragments of Sorrow

Axel couldn't take it anymore. Saix really wanted to destroy him and Ren. Axel had fought off countless Nobodies especially the Berserkers that Saix had main control over. Axel finished off some Dusks then dropped to the ground on one knee, heaving his breath. Ren ran to him and kneeled beside him with a worried look on her face. Axel looked at her then shook his head.

"I'm all right, Ren," Axel replied while slowly getting back up, "Saix isn't going to give up but that doesn't mean I'm going to let him win."

Ren was still concerned about what would happen, especially to Axel. Ren wished this wasn't going on. Ren then held Axel close, making him look down at her. She looked up at him, "Axel, I want to protect you too."

Axel couldn't help but tussle her hair a bit with a chuckle, "That's my job."

"I know... but I want to help you too," Ren replied, "I care about you, Axel..."

Axel set his head on hers while rubbing her back, "I care about you too, Ren."

He then saw a few more Nobodies appear then growled. He then grabbed Ren's hand, beginning to run towards the Mysterious Mansion. More Nobodies began to multiply and chase them. Axel was tired of running and having the lowly Nobodies trying to destroy him. He also saw some Heartless begin to chase after them. No way was he going to let the Heartless get anywhere near Ren. If he lost Ren, he wouldn't be able to go on. He pushed Ren behind him while fighting off the Heartless and Nobodies. Axel heard Ren scream, making him turn to see that some Dusks had capture her and taking her to a portal.

"No, you don't!" Axel exclaimed.

He threw his chakrams at the Dusks and destroyed them with ease. Ren ran to Axel, instantly clinging to him. Axel held her tight for a second then took her hand again, leading her to the mansion. Axel knew that Sora and his friends were making their way to The World That Never Was. He could help Sora defeat the Organization and even get Roxas back while protecting Ren. This had to work. Axel then made a portal to go to Sora.

Sure enough, when Axel and Ren arrived to Betwixt and Between, they saw Sora with his friends fighting off a whole army of Dusks. Axel began to run towards them while fighting off the Dusks. Sora turned to look at Axel with a surprised look.

"Axel! What are you doing here?" Sora asked while glaring at him a little.

"Don't ask! Just fight them!" Axel replied.

Sora noticed that there was some girl with Axel. Had he kidnapped her too like he did with Kairi? Sora knew that Axel was right and that he had to fight. Soon several Dusks tackled Axel to the ground.

"Axel!" Ren cried.

Sora swiped at the Dusks that were piled onto Axel. Axel then looked up at Sora, "I'm helping you out but you have to do a favor for me."

"What's that?" Sora asked. He then heard something behind him and swiped at the Nobody that was attacking him. He glared at the Dusks, "Leave us alone!"

Axel looked at Ren, "Stay by Sora's friends!"

Ren frowned but nodded. She made her way over to Donald and Goofy. Sora and Axel began to fight off the Dusks as best as they could but the Dusks kept multiplying. Ren stayed by Donald and Goofy while they were slaying Dusks as well. Ren watched Axel and could see him getting tired. She bit her lip and hoped that he was all right. Axel heaved his breath, feeling like he wasn't going to last much longer. He had to though for Ren's sake.

"I think I liked it better when they were on my side," Axel replied almost sarcastically.

"Feeling a little regret?" Sora asked.

"Nah, I can take these punks," Axel replied.

He then looked at Ren. In order to save her, he had to do what he had to do. He didn't want to end like this but it was the only way to save everyone. Axel knew that he wouldn't be able to tell Ren how he really feels about her. He wouldn't be able to go back to doing the things he loved doing with her. Ren could see Axel smiling weakly at her which made her worry. Axel then engulfed his body in flames and released his attack. Sora reopened his eyes after Axel's attack to see that every single one of the Dusks were gone.

"Whoa..." Sora replied.

Ren looked up to see that Axel was on the ground and he was beginning to fade away. She gasped and began to run towards him.

"Axel!" Ren screamed. She ran to his side then took him into her arms. Axel looked up at her with half lidded eyes, smiling a little. Ren bit her lip as tears began to stream down her face, "Axel... you can't go..."

"I'm sorry, Ren... I... I sacrificed myself so that I could save you and everyone..." Axel replied weakly.

Sora walked beside Ren to kneel by her, "Axel, why did you do it?"

"I did it so that I could see Roxas and to protect Ren... Roxas made me feel like I had a heart... he's my best friend..." Axel replied, "Funny... you make me feel the same way, Sora... and for Ren... she made me feel... complete..."

Ren was surprised and closed her eyes, letting large droplets of tears fall, "Axel..."

Axel lifted his hand to wipe the tears from Ren's face, "Spending time with you... and... getting to know you better... I began to understand your feelings... It's unique really... for Nobodies to develop feelings..."

Ren stroked Axel's hair away from his face, "I didn't care that you were a Nobody... I know you have a heart in a way... I care about you and would do anything for you... but now... I let you die..."

Axel shook his head slowly, "You didn't. This was my choice to keep you safe... like I promised..."

"You did keep it..." Ren whispered as she held him tighter.

"Ren... May I listen to your heart... one last time?" Axel asked feeling his eyes getting heavier.

"Of course..." Ren sniffed.

She moved him so Axel's head was laying against her chest. Axel could hear her heart thumping in her chest lightly, making him smile.

"My favorite sound..." Axel whispered as he smiled more.

"Axel... what did you want me to do for you?" Sora asked.

"I want you to... take down the Organization... and protect Ren..." Axel replied.

Ren cried harder, not believing that this was happening. She noticed that Axel was fading away faster. She saw that his eyes were closing but a smile remained on his lips. She placed her forehead on his while stroking his cheek.

"Axel... I love you..." Ren whispered.

She could feel Axel lightly place his hand over hers, speaking up softly, "I... love you... as well... got it memorized?"

Ren looked down at Axel to see his eyes were closed then completely disappeared. Ren felt paralyzed as she just stared down at her arms where Axel no longer was. She could feel more tears pool in her eyes, not feeling like moving. Axel was gone. He was really gone.

"Axel..." Ren choked out and placed her hands over her face, "AXEL!"
♠ ♠ ♠
So difficult to write without crying, especially listening to "Always on My Mind." That song always makes me cry no matter what. And listening to it while writing Axel's death scene made me blubber like a baby.