‹ Prequel: Chain of Events
Status: Feeling depressed and I chose the title because that what it feels like right now. Don't bash me for what I feel. I changed it from NC-17 to PG-13 since my plans changed for this story.

My Heart's a Battleground

Stepping Out

Before she knew it, Ren and Axel had arrived at a different place instead of just another part of Twilight Town. The sky was tinted a purplish red color from the sunset. The place had many shops and restaurants. It also had a castle that seemed to be under reconstruction since there were cranes and building supplies near the castle. Otherwise, Ren thought that the town was gorgeous.

"Axel, this place is incredible," Ren replied as she looked around the town.

" You like it?" Axel asked smiling, "I'm glad. I feel really at home when I visit this place."

Ren turned to see the look on Axel's face. For the first time, Axel looked completely at ease. This made her smile and chuckle a little. Axel looked at her then poked her forehead while smirking, "Hehe, what?"

Ren shook her head as she laughed, "Nothing. It's just... it's nice to see you so calm. Plus when you said you felt at home here, it reminds me that I made Twilight Town home now... it's home because I have Olette, Hayner, Pence, Roxas... and especially you, Axel..."

"I'm glad, Ren," Axel replied giving her a gentle smile, "Come on, I know a great place where we can hang out."

"Could we walk around a bit and show me parts of this place you like?" Ren asked while smiling shyly.

"Yeah! Why not?" Axel replied as he smiled.

"Great!" Ren replied as she wrapped her arms around Axel's right arm, "Let's go!"

Axel nearly fell over for when Ren grabbed his arm. It wasn't from the force of her on him but as soon as she hugged his arm, he had that warm tingly feeling in his chest. It was especially strong where his heart would be. That was weird. He had no heart but it felt like he did whenever he was with Roxas and now Ren. Axel looked down at Ren and smiled.

"Yeah, let's go," Axel replied.

He began to lead her to his favorite shops and even began to show her around the castle. After a bit, Axel bought some food for them to share as they continued to walk. Ren was completely amazed by this place. Though it made her wonder where Axel really lived. She figured it was a little more extravagant thank this place or even Twilight Town. She hoped to see where he lived someday. While Axel showed her around the new place, she noticed that he seemed pretty excited. Seeing Axel like this made her heart leap.

Eventually, they found a place to sit where it looked out over a mountainous horizon. Ren took in a deep breath of air through her nose and out her mouth. Axel smiled as he looked at her. He thought that she looked cute right now. He didn't know what was going on with him but he could care less. The feeling inside him got stronger with each passing moment with Ren. He then felt Ren set her head on his shoulder while wrapping an arm around his arm. Axel decided to set his head against hers and closed his eyes. He wanted this moment to last forever.

"I'm having a great time, Axel," Ren said as she tightened her grip a little on his arm.

Axel turned his head slightly to take in the scent in her hair, "I'm glad, Ren. I knew you would enjoy this place as much as I do."

"I really do," Ren said then slowly looked up at him, "Thank you, Axel."

"No problem, we're friends," Axel replied. Ren bit her lip a little making Axel quirk a brow, "What is it?"

"Axel... there was kind of a point of why I asked you out on a date," Ren explained.

"Hm? And why is that?" Axel queried while pulling away slightly to look at her better.

Ren sat up straight and closed her eyes. She knew that she had to tell him how she felt but trying not to sound weird about it. Ren swallowed hard then looked back at Axel. He had a confused look on his face that looked like it was mixed with worry. Ren then took of Axel's into both of hers.

"Axel, I... I owe you for giving me a new life. You helped me find new friends and I'm grateful to you. I'm also developing feelings for you too. I really like you, Axel..." Ren explained softly, "I guess... how I would like to repay you... is giving you my heart."

Axel was completely surprised by this. He didn't know that Ren harbored such feelings for him. Maybe the feeling he was getting was Ren liking him a lot. It was a great feeling but Axel still couldn't feel happiness, sadness and not even what Ren wanted; love. Axel looked down with a sigh. He had to come clean and tell her the truth. No more hiding from her especially since he didn't want her hurt.

"Ren, I need to tell you something..." Axel sighed.

Ren frowned and bit her lip while letting go of his hand, "You don't like me...right?"

Axel turned to her quickly and shook his head, "No! It's not that! I like you, Ren. A lot but it's complicated..."

"What's complicated, Axel?" Ren asked still looking at him with a disheartened look.

Axel closed his eyes as he looked at his hands, "Ren... I'm... a Nobody?"

She was confused. A Nobody? That's impossible, he was sitting here talking to her so of course he had to exist and be a somebody.

"Nobody? Axel, what are you talking about?" Ren replied shaking her head, completely confused.

Axel knew that this was going to be hard to explain to her. He would understand if she didn't want to be near him again. But he couldn't lie to Ren.

"Ren, place your ear over my heart," Axel replied. Ren was puzzled; why do that? Axel then pleaded, "Just trust me."

Ren scooted closer to him and set her head against his chest. She listened but couldn't hear anything. She couldn't hear anything. Then it hit her; where was his heartbeat!? Ren sat back quickly and stared at Axel in horror.

Axel frowned and closed his eyes, "A Nobody doesn't have a heart. We can't feel happiness or sadness or even love... we are the remains of a person. The body and soul... those with a strong will leave behind an animated shell. We have no existence... we're incomplete..."

Ren was still afraid by this but the look on Axel's face made her want to cry. Even though he said he doesn't have a heart, Axel still looked sad. Ren placed her hand over Axel's, squeezing it lightly.

Axel squeezed her hand back and spoke up again, "But... when I'm with you and Roxas... I feel like I have a heart. You both give me a good feeling that I want to hold on to. I only have you two."

Ren smiled lightly then closed her eyes, "I'm never going to leave you, Axel... I know that you, me and Roxas will stay friends forever. I understand that you are... a Nobody... but to me, you're Axel. My friend... and someone I care for deeply..."

Axel looked at her to see her smile, "Ren..."

"Even though you don't have feelings of happiness or sadness... I still can tell you express them. Heart or not. You're special."

"Hm... yeah..." Axel replied softly with a half smile. He then looked at Ren, "Ren, I'm grateful that you are sticking by me despite what I told you. And I promise that I will cherish you and Roxas."

Ren nodded and smiled, "I cherish you and Roxas too."

Axel smiled softly then scratched the back of his head while chuckling almost nervously, "Ren... can I ask you a favor?"

"Hm? What is it, Axel?" Ren asked.

"Can I... listen to your heart?" Axel asked biting his lip.

Ren let out a small laugh but nodded her head, "Of course."

Axel smiled and got a little closer to Ren. He carefully set his head on her chest and could hear her heart beat softly. He closed his eyes as he indulged in the sound. Ren smiled and set her head on top of Axel's as she wrapped an arm around him. Ren knew that she couldn't stop loving Axel after what he told her. This gave her more reason to help Axel. He helped her, now it was her time to help him. She'll help him feel complete and help him with getting a heart.

Hearing Ren's heartbeat made Axel feel that sensation in his chest, almost like he had a heartbeat himself. He wanted to stay like this with Ren forever. Being in her embrace and just being with her like this, Axel yearned to feel. He wanted to feel what Ren felt for him. He wanted to be complete so he could truly make Ren happy.

Eventually, Axel took Ren back to Twilight Town so she could rest. Axel walked Ren to the front door and looked down at Ren.

"I really did have a great time with you, Ren," Axel replied smiling at her.

"I did too, Axel. Since Roxas will be gone a little more... and you have a few days off... do you want to go on more dates?" Ren asked blushing a little bit.

"That's a great idea," Axel said as he brightened up a little, "I'll pick you up tomorrow and we'll spend the whole day together."

"Great!" Ren replied with a large smile. She then looked into his emerald eyes, "Well, goodnight, Axel."

"Goodnight, Ren," Axel said softly.

Ren then held Axel tight and closed her eyes. She closed her eyes and sighed to herself, loving being in Axel's arms. Axel held her back and set his head on hers. He didn't want to part ways with her but he had to for now. He pulled back to look at her.

"See you tomorrow," Axel nearly whispered.

"See you tomorrow, Axel," Ren said softly as she entered Roxas's place.

Axel smiled then made a portal of darkness back to The Castle That Never Was. He sighed when he arrived back and could see Demyx messing with the strings on his sitar and Xigbar shaking his head at the deaf toned Nobody. Xigbar then looked at Axel.

"Where have you been all night, spiky?" Xigbar asked quirking a brow.

"Hmpf, why should you care?" Axel asked as he began to head to his room. Axel was walking down the hallway then he saw a familiar face. He smirked and waved, "Hey, Roxas."

Roxas smiled and walked up to his best friend, "How are things going?"

"Pretty great actually," Axel replied crossing his arms with a smirk.

Roxas chuckled and eyed Axel, "What about Ren?"

Axel had a smile on his face making Roxas nearly want to laugh. Axel then looked down at Roxas.

"Hey, don't give me that look," Axel laughed.

"I'm just teasing!" Roxas laughed, "Is she all right though?"

"Yeah, she is. Misses you though," Axel mentioned.

"I miss her too," Roxas replied, "I'll be home soon though, so she doesn't have to worry."

"I told her what I really am and... she didn't turn me away," Axel replied.

"Really? She wasn't afraid or tried to run?" Roxas asked.

Axel shook his head, "No, she said that she wants to stay friends with you and me forever. She said she cares about me."

Roxas smiled and began to walk past Axel while patting his shoulder, "You're lucky to have someone like her, Axel."

Axel quirked a brow as he looked at his protege. He then began to head back to his room, wondering what Roxas meant by what he said. He entered his room and immediately laid out on his bed. He stared up at the ceiling, thinking about his time with Ren. He closed his eyes, wondering what he should do. Of course he needed to be careful and not let anyone else in the Organization know about Ren. He had to keep her safe.
♠ ♠ ♠
Notice: If there are no comments by the time chapter 7 is finished, there will be no more chapters. I'm not going to continue if there is no feedback, there would be no point.