Status: ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

Steal Your Heart

Three

The sound of car doors slamming, rustling from downstairs and voices, woke me up.
I ran my hand through my hair, squinting my eyes as the bright red numbers appeared on digital clock that was placed on my nightstand, before turning to see her face peacefully asleep next to me.

For a split second I had forgotten why there was so much commotion moment I remembered why. Slowly and softly as not to wake her, I pulled my arm from underneath her head watching as she stirred slightly and waiting for her to open her eyes. After a few seconds I got up from my bed and began my trip to the kitchen.

Once I'd reached the bottom step, people holding flowers and other trinkets flew past me, ignoring my presence as if nothing mattered except for running to the backyard and setting the items in the way that they were told to do.
As people made their way in and out of the house, everything was beginning to get a little more real about what was still seven months, before the actual big day was.

I padded into the kitchen in my boxer shorts, I saw my mom speaking to Cheryl.
"Morning mom, Cheryl." I said still groggy with sleep.
My mom had a smile on her face, "Morning kiddo! Are you ready for today?"

I stuffed a piece of toast that was on the counter and shrugged my shoulders before taking a drink of orange juice straight from the carton.
To me this stuff wasn't important. It was just my girl stuff that I was force to be involved in.

Cheryl came up behind me patting my back, "Oh Carol, he's just a boy. I'm pretty sure he's more focused on that guitar of his rather than getting deep into our female things."
It was as if she had read my mind.

My mom pressed me to hurry up and finish eating then start getting ready for the party. I honestly find want to do this, but if it made these three women happy I ha no other reason than to compile with their wishes.

By three in the afternoon as guests started arriving, the weather was nice and cool like we all had predicted it would be. I walked around greeting people, half of whom I'd never even met, saying thank you for the well wishes, talking about future plans and other stuff before moving on and repeating everything I had said to the previous person.
I felt like a robot, smiling, laughing, talking and repeating it all over again.

After ages of being traps by my family and her family, I was able to get away into the kitchen to relax, even if it was for just a few seconds. I took a bottle of water from the fridge taking a long gulp and when I had turned around I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.
There she stood across the way. Brown eyes locking with mine for a few seconds before she glanced at the ground then walked away quickly.

I stood in the kitchen, just staring at the now empty space, not sure if I really saw what I had seen. It had been four years and still she looked just as beautiful as I remembered.

"Babe?" My thoughts were interrupted by Rachel, bringing me back to the present. "Sweetheart it's time for the dinner to start."

I nodded taking one more look at the spot, before following Rachel outside to where all the guests were.

------

Maddie's POV

It felt like I hadn't slept at all when I felt someone stroking my face and whispering my name.
I slowly opened my eyes squinting as the sun filtered through the blinds in my bedroom. Shifting my eyes I noticed my sister sitting on the bed next to me with a huge smile on her face.
She just sat there watching me intently like I was some sort of bizarre creature then decided to poke my cheek.

I smacked her hand, "What the heck kid?" my voice cracked with sleep still evident as I spoke.

"I'm sorry. I just wanted to make sure that you were really here!" She flung her arms around me enveloping me in the biggest hug.
It felt so nice to know that she wasn't pissed off at me for leaving. To me it felt like we were picking up where we left off.

"I've missed you so much sis." She said finally letting go of me. "Now get ready, we have to make an appearance across the street at three."
She hopped off my bed walked to the door stopping and told me to wear something nice.

My head was spinning as I walked through the house that I once spent all my free time at, the house that became my second home was now a place that I was awkward to be in. Walking through house sent chills down my spine as all the memories of the past four years graced the hallway walls. I smiled as I saw my old friends smiling in the candid photographs, the family pictures done professionally as well as live shots.

Averting my eyes to the walls, I traced ran my fingers lightly against each frame, before stopping my hand on one that tugged at my heart.
It was a photo from our high school graduation. He had an arm around my shoulder and I had left a kiss mark of lipstick on his cheek, but we both had huge grins on our faces. How I'd missed that smile. That year, hell that day, was the happiest I had been, regardless of the what happened the following night.

I trailed a few steps behind my parents and Riann, letting my nude heels clank against the hardwood floor, as we followed the voices coming from the back of the house.
My parents and Riann were instantly greeted by a familiar warm voice. One that made my heart fill with a moment of happiness, then a pang of guilt washed over that happiness.

"Carol! It is so nice to see you. Such a happy occasion." Mother said embracing the short blonde woman.
Carol returned the hug, "Kathy, it is such a pleasure. Neighbors and we rarely spend any time together." Mother agreed right away letting Carol continue.

I lost interest going outback to where the crowd was. The pool that was once in the center was now covered by a glass floor so the folks could dance or have more space to gather and chat whereas the rest of the yard was beautifully decorated with dozens of bright flowers, a small fountain and an oversized board on a tripod that read :
[font=comic sans]
Celebrating the Engagement of
Garrett Daniel Nickelsen and Rachel Ann O'Connor


I read over that card several times, my heart plummeting to the ground not even realizing that Garrett was staring at me from inside. My eyes met with his briefly, causing me to panic mentally debating if I should stay or go. A sudden motion from somewhere close to me frightened me and I quickly headed out of the party through the side gate.

Of course he had moved on. Why wouldn't he? I thought to myself. The black knee length dress I wore began to suffocate me as I ran back to my house not caring that my heels began to rub my feet in the wrong way. Quickly unlocking the front door I did what I could to unzip the back of my dress as I dashed up the stairs and locking myself in my bedroom.
This wasn't happening!
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading.