Status: ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

Steal Your Heart

Four

There was a warm breeze that licked my skin as I stared at the stars above me. I watched the stars glisten mentally counting the aircrafts that flew into view.

My hair was placed in a messy bun on top of my head, loose strands sticking to my cheek as the wind blew, rustling the trees around me.
Laughter and voices echoed from the surrounding homes making me wonder what everyone was doing, thinking and watching.
Laying down on the roof of my parents house made me realize how much I had missed home.

I didn't have a care in the world about how much time had passed or how each sound began to fade away around me. I just focused on the night sky, trying not to focus on the events that had happened earlier that day.
The day felt like a cruel joke my family had pulled on me for leaving unexpectedly and returning without answers.

To me, my heart shattered into a million pieces all over again; but the reality of it all was that I had no right to feel the way that I did. Garrett moved on, as he should have, because I left him. I chickened out and I left him.
I was so deep in thought I hadn't realized that I was no longer alone.

"Hey," a soft familiar voice spoke breaking me from my thoughts.
I turned my head slightly looking at the tall silhouette of which the voice belonged to.
My heart fluttered slightly before looking back up at the sky. I closed my eyes as he sat down next me, hoping that he would leave me alone.

We sat there in a peaceful silence, the only sound being that of the cars driving by in the distance, or the occasional one speeding down the street below. In away it was refreshing not having to talk and just pretending that everything was fine.

Another few minutes went by and the peaceful silence was interrupted by his deep sigh.
"Wha- How are you?"

I wanted to ignore him but answered with a slight hesitation. "I'm...I'm fine."
Garrett's body shifted from where he sat to look at me.

Even in the dark I could see his soft, yet prominent features. His hair was disheveled from the many times that he ran his fingers through his hair. His lip twitched as he fought with the words he was desperately trying to say. Harsh or not, I held my breath waiting to hear what he had to say.

Deep down I wanted him to yell but all he mustered up to say was, "Why?"

In that moment, I was glad I couldn't see his face clearly, nor could he see the pain that and regret that was written all over mine.

"Madd's, please answer me." Garrett's voice soft, but it carried that hint of anger I desperately wanted.

Taking in a deep breath I said, "Garrett, I-I can't tell you."

With that he stood up staring down at me. "That's nothing new with you is it, always with secrets? Just fucking tell me!"

I stood up as well, tilting my head up to see his face, his rapid breathing was being drowned out by the sounds of my heart rate quickening. The smell of Garrett's cologne filled my nose with each inhale.

"I fell out of love with you." The words that came out of my mouth were forced. "Is that what you wanted to hear?"
He didn't say a word, just turned around and climbed down the side of the house.

I walked over to the other side of the roof and watched his slender figure disappear down the street and into his house. I lied straight to his face because the truth was so much worse than me telling him I had no longer loved him.

Sitting back down on the roof, I closed my eyes and tried to let the day wash off of me. I knew that this was only the beginning and I had to convince myself to make the best of these few weeks before my secret came out to the world.

"Sis, dad said it was time to get off the roof." Riann poked her yea out of the window below me.

I threw down the blanket I sat on for her to catch, then I dropped down onto the tree branch that was across from my room before climbing in.
Riann slowly opened my door knocking on it in the process.
I waved her in and she sat down on the edge of my bed, picking at the fabric of my blanket.

"So," her voice cracked slightly, clearing her throat as she continued on. "Garrett..."

I interrupted her saying, "I'm really happy for him and Rachel."
Riann gave me a disapproving look.

"Don't give me that look Ri."

"Come on sis, you two were made for each other. You do realize that he's just settling?"

I shook my head. "No he's not. Now can we drop the subject. I'm tired."
Riann was a bit disappointed after I had told her to leave.
She opened the door saying bye then closed it behind her.
I waited for the footsteps to disappear down the hall then picked up my phone.

"Hey baby, how are you?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoughts?
Thanks for reading