Status: ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

Steal Your Heart

Six

Riann and I sat in the bridal shop with three other women, Rachel's mom and of course Carol.
I didn't want to be here, but Riann assured me that everything would be fine and seeing as I was over Garrett I would be able to support him in this.

As all the girls sat waiting for Rachel to walk out in her dress, I walked around the little boutique running my hands over several wedding dresses ignoring the sudden "awes" that came from the group I was with.
I didn't want to see Rachel in her dress, because I knew that would just mean that it was all real and I just couldn't face that fact just yet.

"Hey, Macy." Riann walked up behind me with a joking smile.

"Gosh, I don't understand why she can't get my name right." I said looking down at my feet.
Riann smiled softly going through some of the dresses on the rack in front of us.
We stayed silent not really knowing what to say to each other.

I knew she had so many questions and it wasn't any easier on her since all of my old friends constantly pressed her for answers she didn't have and I knew that I would have to tell her soon, but I just didn't think it was a good idea any more considering they current events. I was just tired of hiding and I no longer wanted to keep the last few years a secret. I just wasn't sure if I had it in me to say anything.

"Maddie, sweetheart. It's time for your dress fitting." Carol walked up to me a small smile gracing her face.
I just nodded and followed her to the dressing room.

She handed me a silk dress in a pale blue color and said, "You know it's weird. Everyone always thought you and Garrett would be the ones getting married."

"Funny how things worked out right?" She didn't respond, walking away from me.

Carol always had high hopes for me and her youngest son, but I knew the second I came back from hiding she would never forgive me for stomping all over his heart. But that wasn't what pained me the most, it was that she would never forgive me when she found out why.

Then again I knew that even Garrett wouldn't forgive me.
It was the risk I took when I made the decision to leave.
My train of thought was broken by the sous of my cell phone ringing and a smile was instantly brought to my face.

"Hi darling! I miss you so much."
The voice on the other side made my heart ache. I'd been gone for almost a month and I knew that I had to return soon.
As I talked on the phone my chest began to swell. I had missed home, but I knew I couldn't just disappear.
I ended the call by saying "I love you" and wiped the single tear that slid down my face away and adjusted the pale blue dress Carol handed to me.

I stepped out of the dressing room and was face to face with Rachel.
She just stared at me, eyes wide and mouth slightly open.
I gave a nervous laugh trying to think of something fast.
"Uhm...J-just a friend back home." I knew that Rachel didn't believe me, but she just nodded and walked into her own fitting room. I went back into mine putting on my own clothes and rushed out of the boutique ignoring Riann's calls.
I didn't know what to do at that point, except for the fact that I had to tell everyone before Rachel said something. Then again, I wasn't sure if she knew the whole history with Garrett and myself. If she did maybe she wouldn't piece anything together.

Riann got into the drivers side of her car and I could tell she wanted to know what had just happened.
We sat there for two minutes before she got the courage to speak. "Maddie, what happened?"

"Riann I have to go." My voice cracked and a tear slid down my face.
She didn't saying anything instead she put the car in reverse pulling out of her parking space and headed back to our parents home.

As soon as we got there Garrett was standing outside pacing on the porch.
A moment of guilt pulsed through me then I wondered if Rachel had said something to him.

"Riann, just take me to the airport."

She looked at me in disbelief as she slowed the car down ready to park. "What? No."

"Please! I'll be back I promise. I-I just need to go back home."
She continued to drive and I could tell she was worried.

As soon as she got to Sky Harbor Airport she parked in terminal 4's parking and ran with me to the ticketing counter.
"Maddie? Maddie!" I stopped in the middle of the way, people walking around us as they rushed to the security check points. "Just stop for a minute and tell me what the hell is going on!"

I took in a deep breath, "If you want to know why and where I left five years ago, you are going to have to trust me. Okay?"

Riann didn't say anything and just walked up to the Delta airlines ticketing.
She stayed quiet as I booked my flight to Boston and walked with me to the checkpoint.

"Remember, don't tell anyone where I am going, let alone where I have been." I told her
She just gave me a disappointed look and said, "Yeah, yeah. I'll see you tomorrow." But as she walked away she mumbled. "Or not."

With that, I went through security. For all I knew I was overreacting about the whole Rachel thing, but the truth was going to come out sooner or later and to be honest, I didn't want people to think I was ashamed. I didn't want anyone to hear it from someone else.
This had to be from me and only me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Meh....I hate this chapter. But whatever.
Things will start getting better. Any guesses as to what Maddie is hiding?
comments appreciated.