Hollow's Creek, Nebraska

news spreads like wildfire

After my best friend, Lilly, got pregnant at the age of seventeen, everything in the town changed. She'd be walking down the street, and people would be staring at her like she had three heads. My parents wouldn't let us hang out anymore, whenever she'd stop by, they would slam the door in her face. They didn't want me to end up like her; pregnant and alone.

When she told Kenny Holman she was pregnant with his baby, he wanted nothing to do with her. We'd be walking down the hallway at school, and he'd pass by and mumble 'slut' under his breath. He abandoned her, and so did her parents. They kicked her out of her own home. I'd begged my parents to let her stay with us, but they thought if she stayed here, she'd be having sex here.

Lilly blamed this all on me. I was the one that introduced her to Kenny. I was the one that wouldn't stick up for her. I was the one that wouldn't take her in. It was all my fault.

When she blamed me for all this, we'd had an explosive fight. I was tired of her blaming me for her actions. People stared at us as we screamed at each other. She stormed out of Holy Ground Coffee never to be seen again. Rumor has it that she ran away to New York City and works as a prostitute. Others say she met someone and now lives with them.

After Lilly had told Kenny, he told his friends. His friends told their friends, who told their parents, who told her parents, who kicked her out. If you tell someone your secret, it's no longer a secret. News spreads like wildfire in this town.

Since Lilly skipped town last year, things have changed. Kenny hosted a party in October, and that's when everything went absolutely out of control.