It Began With A Lie

The Lie

‘I’m late. I’m so late.’ I repeat in my head over and over, scolding myself as I peel off my wetsuit and stash my board on-top my car before jumping in and hastily peeling out. I wave to some locals as I drive the familiar route to my uncle’s restaurant. I hop out and quickly run in pulling my hair up in the process. Hopefully Jeff’s busy and won’t notice my absence.

I rush through the door and try to duck past my uncle who’s waiting on a table.

“You’re late” He states without looking up at me, “Again.” I groan and try to justify myself.

“I’m sorry, but the waves were massive out there!” I exclaim waving my hands around.

“Yeah? Well you just picked yourself up a ‘massive’ shift. You’re closing tonight, get to work.” I sped off to the back and tied an apron around my shorts before beginning to take orders and fill up drinks. I knew Jeff meant well, after all he’s the only family I have, but sometimes his sternness made me miss my laid-back parents.

They had owned this place, and I had been working since I was old enough to bust tables. They let me off pretty easy to catch waves, and it just became habit. After they passed, Jeff took over the place, and me. He did good, but was definitely a little bitter towards the ocean. I understood, but I could never feel the same. From the moment I could walk, I was out in the water with my parents. And even though it took the two most important people in my life, It was still home to me.

“Table five’s been waiting” Mike, a fellow worker says and I nod heading over. It’s a group of five men, in workout gear, chatting aimlessly. They look about my age, one maybe a bit younger. One catches my eye as I head their way. Dark hair is peeking out from under a Reebok hat. A grey t-shirt stretches over impressive muscle and an involuntary blush creeps up my face.

“Sorry about the wait,” I say smiling at the group and placing menu’s down in front of them, “What can I get you guys to drink?”

I look at each one starting with Mr. Smoldering and ending with the younger of the group. Who now that I’m up close, can’t be older than 19. They all order beers.

“I’m sorry, but there’s no way you’re 21 kid,” I say and he frowns. The others laugh and one slaps him on the back.

“Nice try, rookie,” one says.

“I’ll just have a coke,” he grumbles and I smile apologetically.

“I’ll give you a few moments to decide,” I say after and turn away, but before I can Reebok hat stops me.

“What’s your name?” His voice deep, arms crossed on the table, gaze boring into mine.

“Alana,” I flash him a small smile before turning away and heading to the bar. As I fill up a pitcher of ice water my gaze falls on him. His eyes are intense as his friends seem to be laughing at his expense pushing his shoulder and jabbing at him. A small smile graces his lips before he drops his shaking head.

The kitchen bell rings catching my attention. “Table six,” Reggie, the cook, calls out. I place the burgers on a tray, tucking the three beers in between my arm and side, holding the coke in my empty hand. I drop the drinks of first and then unload the tray of food to the table next to them. Hungry surfers smile gratefully at me as I pass around the food.

“Hey, Alana, didn’t see you out there today,” one says and I recognize him from around town.

“Pete, right?” I ask and he smiles nodding his head. “Yeah, I went over to the cove instead, they had some pretty big waves coming in,” I explain.

“You competing in the surf open that’s coming up?” I shake my head.

“No, I don’t think so.”

“That’s too bad. If anyone around here is good enough to go pro it’s you.” I smile politely and get back to work. I knew I was good enough to place in the open, but I knew that once I made surfing a sport, once it became a competition, the magic of it all would end. I did compete here and there in small, unpopular competitions to make some extra money. But getting famous was never something I wanted.

The afternoon quickly faded, and soon I was cleaning up after the late dinner rush. We usually closed up shop at nine or ten, not liking the drunk crowd that would roll in after.

“Night, Lana! I’m heading out,” Reggie called I waved back. “Drive safe” he called. I locked the back door after him and began wiping down the tables and putting the chairs up. I couldn’t stop my mind from wandering to the super mysterious, yet way hot customer from earlier. I knew he wasn’t a local, so maybe he was just visiting. His dark gaze on me made me wish he wasn’t. My face grew hot at the thought of him. It’s 9:45 when I’m ready to head out, placing the bottles in the bar away. As I’m turned around, putting them back in order the bell rings signaling someone has walked in. I roll my eyes at myself for not locking the door.

“Sorry, we’re closed,” I say and turn around. My mouth slackens at the sight in front of me.

“I know,” he says, Mr. Mysterious himself. “I hoped that you’d still be here though.” My eyebrows crinkle slightly in confusion. No way this gorgeous man came out of his way to see me.

“Why?” His tongue slips out to wet his lips as my question catches him off guard. He makes his way over to me and rests his hand on the bar.

“To properly introduce myself,” he says finally, “I’m Sidney.” He stretches out his hand towards me.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Alana,” he says as he drops my hand. A pleasure? I blush slightly at that. “May I sit?” He asks and I nod my head. I turn and bend down pulling two beers out of the fridge. I catch his gaze on my butt and this time he flushes.

“Would you like one?” He nods and I hand one over after popping of the top. “What brings you to Santa Monica?”

“I don’t look like I’m from around here do I?” He asks and I shake my head. He hesitates before answering my question. “Business,” he decides and I raise my eyebrow at his un-descriptive answer.

“What type of business?”

“Nothing you’d be interested in,” he says and takes a swig of beer. A businessman. I smile at the thought. He definitely looks the type; serious, intimidating, and extremely sexy. I tilt my head imagining him in a suit, yes, extremely sexy.

“How long are you here for?” I ask wanting any information he’d be willing to give me.

“Until August,” he says and I instantly calculate that he only has about a little over a month left.

“What kind of business moves you out of state for over a month?” He stares at me for awhile before answering.

“Sports communication,” he states and I’m completely lost. “What about you?”

“I work here mostly, it’s a family business. I graduated from University last year.”

“What did you major in?” I thought about giving him a taste of his own medicine but decided against it.

“Fashion design,” I said then glanced down at my outfit and blushed. “Please do not take this outfit too seriously. Out here it’s just easier for me to wear this, especially when surfing.”

“I think you look beautiful.” I’m stunned into silence at his words. Sure I had had my share of admirers, but Sidney put them all to shame. They were just boys, he was a man. A strong, sexy, and determined man.

“Thank you.”

“I know I’m being very forward, and if I’m stepping over the line I can leave, but I was wondering if I could see you again? Outside of your work that is.” I nod my head speechless. “Tomorrow then? I have business to attend to in the morning but after eleven I’m free.”

“Um-o-okay yeah. I usually surf in the mornings anyway.”

“I can pick you up at noon, can you give me your address?” I bob my head and grab a napkin and a pen. I write my address out clearly and then boldly add my number underneath.

“In case you have trouble finding the place,” I justify. He just smiles at me in return. A big gorgeous smile that reaches his eyes and shows off his pearly whites. “You should smile more often,” I tell him honestly.

“My mother tells me that too.” He shakes his head but smiles up at me again before standing up from his seat. He places some cash on the bar and steps away slightly almost as if he doesn’t really want to leave.

“I should get going, early morning.” I nod in agreement and he walks towards the door. “I’ll see you tomorrow, Alana.” He says before flashing me another smile and slipping out.

Sidney’s POV

After a long, hard workout a few guys decided to hit up some local surf bar to grab some food. I agreed and tagged along even though all I really wanted to do was go ice my aching muscles. I am really pushing myself this summer. After getting beat out of the Stanley Cup Finals by Boston I flew right out to Santa Monica to prepare for next season. I’m still a bit bitter about the loss, but I’m focused more than ever right now on next year.

We take an empty high table next to the door. A man walks by and greets us saying he’ll be with us shortly. He turns his attention back to another table. All of a sudden the door flies open and a flustered girl woman rushes in.

“You’re late,” the man says, presumably the owner. “Again.” The girl groans and throws out her arms while explaining why she was late.
“Yeah? Well you just picked yourself up a ‘massive’ shift. You’re closing tonight, get to work.” She nods and speeds of to the back. I can’t help but watch her retreating form, the way the her long blonde hair billows behind her before she pulls it up into a pony. Soon she’s walking back our way with a short apron tied around her shorts, hiding her long, tan legs.

“Sorry about the wait,” she says sweetly handing us menus, “What can I get you guys to drink.” Close up she’s even prettier, with gorgeous blue eyes. Chris and Mark order a beer and I agree. Alex, a rookie we picked up this summer was bold enough to order one too. The kid is barely 18 and looks 15. Our waitress smiles, and I know right away she’s not falling for it.

“Sorry, but there’s no way you’re 21 kid.” I smile and the others crack up. I watch as she smiles softly at him. Before I can stop myself I keep her from walking away.

“What’s your name?” I ask. She looks at me again her blue eyes boring into mine. She gives me a beautiful smile, I swear she’s the most gorgeous woman I’ve ever laid eyes on.

“Alana,” she says before getting back to work. Alana, beautiful name for a beautiful girl. I mentally kick myself as the boys chirp me and shove my shoulder. I’ve never been too forward with the ladies, but I couldn’t help myself with this one.

Much to my dismay, Alana gave us space during our meal. It had me wondering if she knew who I was. Most waitresses I have stutter, or flirt, or ask for autographs. Alana wasn’t and it intrigued me. As she gave us the check she thanked us for coming and then swiftly walked away. The receipt had no number on it and I was disappointed for the the first time.

“A girl who isn’t on her knees for you Crosby, must be weird.” Craig says chuckling. I shake my head. I’m glad she’s not on her knees for me, all that attention gets old, quick.

“Maybe she just wasn’t interested,” Mark offered, “I mean, she was really hot, probably already has a boyfriend.” The thought made my stomach clench.

As we made our way back to our hotel the guys quickly forgot about our bombshell of a waitress, but she was all I was thinking about. After a much needed nap, and dinner Alana was still on my mind. And after staring at my hotel ceiling for two hours I finally gave up and went back to find her.

A ‘closed’ sign hung in the window and the lot was empty except for one car. A black jeep with a surf board on it. I say a silent prayer and then turn the door, relieved it’s open. The door chimes as I step in and I immediately see Alana behind the bar.

“We’re closed,” she says but as she turns around her mouth drops slightly. I can tell she shocked, and speechless. A small smile tugs at the corner of my mouth.
“I know,” I say walking towards her. “I’d hope you’d still be here though,” I tell her honestly, not really knowing what else to say.

“Why?” She asks confusion evident in her voice. I lick my lip, stalling. What am suppose to say, because you’re so fucking hot and all I’ve been thinking about since I laid eyes on you is how much I want, need you in my bed. Fuck that, in my life.

“I just wanted to properly introduce myself,” I say pulling myself together and reaching the bar. “I’m Sidney,” I say leaving out the last name, and out stretching my hand. She reaches out and her small soft hand meets the roughness of mine.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you Alana,” I say and drop her hand. I take a seat and she offers me a beer.

“What brings you to Santa Monica?” Her question doesn’t catch me off guard, but I battle if I should tell her the truth or not.

“Business,” okay so not really a lie.

“What type of business?” God, I really don’t want to lie to her. But I don’t want to tell her the truth either. I liked being a normal guy to her.

“Nothing you’d be interested in,” I said smiling hoping to change the subject.

“How long are you here for?”

“Until August,” I decide. In reality, I have a plane leaving tomorrow afternoon for Halifax, Nova Scotia. But if she lets me, I’d like to see her again.

“What kind of business moves you out of state for a month?”

“Sports communication,” I said without thinking. I mentally slapped myself for starting off everything on a lie. Before she could ask anything else, I quickly changed the subject. “What about you?”

“I work here mostly,” she says easily, “it’s a family business. I just graduated University last year.” Making her 23 I thought easily to myself.

“What did you major in?”

“Fashion design.” Her face reddens and she looks down at her clothes and back up.
“Please do not take this outfit too seriously,”she begs. “Out here it’s just easier to wear this, especially when I surf.”

“I think you look beautiful,” I tell her honestly. She smiles and says thank you as her face flushes again.
“I know I’m being very forward, and if I’m stepping over the line I can leave, but I was wondering if I could see you again? Outside of your work that is.” I ask her leaning forward on the bar. She nods smiling and I relax instantly. “Tomorrow then? I have business to attend to in the morning but after eleven I’m free.” We had our last training session at 6am, afterwards we were all catching flights home to our respective cities. I make a mental note to cancel my flight.

“Um-o-okay yeah. I usually surf in the mornings anyway.”

“I can pick you up at noon, can you give me your address?” She nods and quickly grabs a napkin and pen from the bar. She scribbles on it and slides it over to me. I look it over and notice she added her number underneath her address. I fist pump in my head.

“In case you have trouble finding the place,” she explains. I can’t the wide smile that spreads across my face. “You should smile more often,” she says quietly. She likes my smile.

“My mother tells me that too.” I tell her before standing up from my seat. I placed a twenty on the counter and contemplated leaving. Tomorrow’s workout was going to be intense though, and even if I want to stay here all night with Alana, I’ll be in hell tomorrow.

“I should get going, early morning.” I tell her and walk towards the door. “I’ll see you tomorrow, Alana,” I give her a wave and another smile before walking out the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey everyone! I've had this idea in my head for a while but wasn't sure if I was going to post it because I'm currently writing a James Neal story please go check that out! Anyway, I decided to post this because I really like the plot. I think instead of making this story a sequence of events, I'm going to skip around a bit.

Let me know what you think! I'll post more when I get some feedback:)

Also if anyone has any ideas for what Alana would look like let me know!