Status: In progress

Such Sweet Nothing

Buttercup

“Hey Pepper.” My cousin’s face was in front of me as I sat at my breakfast bar. Bruce had woken me up for the final time this morning and then had to step out to discuss something with Tony.

“You look terrible.” I gave a ‘gee thanks’ look and sighed as I played with the condensation that had formed on my glass of water.

“Sorry, I just mean you look tired and worn down.” I could see that she was on the plane headed to D.C.

“Yeah well that’s what happens when I have to get woken up every hour.” My tone was bitter and tired, I’m sure it matched how I looked right now.

“No concussion then?” I shook my head as I took a sip of my water.

“How is Bruce doing?” I only shrugged my shoulders. I had no idea how Bruce was doing, it was like he had to completely shut down to me today, after last night.

“I had the suicide nightmare last night.” I heard her breathe in sharply.

“Oh boy.” I looked her in the eye and nodded.

“Yeah, oh boy is right.” My head was lying heavily against my hand that was on the counter.

“So he knows?” She asked with concern clouding her face.

“Yeah and he talked about us sleeping together.” She came to the edge of her seat and was staring intensely at me.

“I mean it wasn’t anything big, just that if he cared for me like he said he does he shouldn’t have done it. Then he kind of just shut me down and didn’t talk about it anymore. He went up to talk to Tony about something.” I felt defeated, once again, by Bruce in his stubborn, self-hating ways.

“It must’ve rocked his world to hear you saw how he tried to-“ She didn’t finish her sentence as I felt tears form in my tired, aching eyes.

“I can’t talk about it, not after last night.” She nodded her head frantically, trying to get me to not cry.

“I thought I could make it all okay, I thought I could fix him. We were doing so well and now I’m scared this spooked him and,” I breathed in and kept my tears at bay. “I don’t know.” I could tell she wanted to reach through the screen to hug me.

“I don’t think he’s going anywhere.” I could only shrug my shoulders at my cousin.

“I can only hope so. I just feel so pathetic, Pep. I can’t help and it’s like I keep chasing after him when it just seems like he wants for me to stop.” I heard my front door open and looked over towards my living room and saw Bruce with Tony and Steve close behind.

“Hey.” I greeted as Steve sat down next to me and pulled me into a one-armed hug. Tony went into my kitchen to stand in front of me and Bruce was at my left side.

“Hey guys.” Pepper greeted with a small wave.

“I’ll call you when I get settled in okay?” I nodded at my cousin as everyone said their goodbyes and she ended the call. I sighed as I took another sip of my water.

“What’s up?” I asked as all three of the men were just sitting and staring at me.

“How you doin’ buttercup?” I raised an eyebrow at Tony’s newly found nickname for me.

“Buttercup, really?” He shrugged his shoulders and smiled.

“It just seems to fit you.” I shook my head but allowed myself to smile back at him.

“I’m fine, Tony.” I answered his question as Bruce shifted his weight around from one foot to the other.

“Good.” He nodded once and clapped his hands together.

“So the Cap is going to be staying with us for awhile.” I turned and smiled at Steve.

“Great!” He knocked his fist lightly against my jaw and winked. He was so old fashioned and sweet that sometimes it hurt my teeth.

“Yep and that way when we do more experiments there will be two of us to protect you and keep things in check. Although, and Steve agrees, that we think the Hulk likes you.” He said the last part while shooting a look at Bruce. I looked over at him and saw that he looked extremely tired.

“Don’t want to take any chances with that pretty face of yours though.” Tony finished off with one of his award winning smiles.

“Thanks, I think.” I finished my water and stood up, slowly.

“How are your ribs feeling?” Bruce finally spoke up as I moved gingerly around the counter and to the sink to set my glass down.

“I’m pretty sore.” I answered truthfully. I walked back over and stood next to Tony as Bruce motioned for me to move my left arm up. I did what I was told as he lifted my shirt up, just enough to look at the damage that had been done.

“It looks terrible.” He said with a sigh as he put my shirt back down. I shrugged my shoulders and leaned on the counter with my arms in front of me.

“It’ll heal.”

“Are you guys hungry?” Steve asked as he leaned back and patted his stomach.

“I could eat.” I said as I stood up to my full height once again.

“Yeah, let’s go grab some grub.” Tony said as he stretched his arms above his head.

“No shwarma, it was terrible.” Bruce said as he tried his best to stifle a yawn.

“I could go for a sub.” Steve spoke as he got off my chair. “Or a slice.” And there is the Brooklyn boy.

“I could do a sandwich.” Bruce said with a nod in mine and Tony’s direction.

“Sandwich.” We both said at the same time. Bruce looked from Tony then to me and smiled.

“Great, let’s go.” Steve said as he waited for me to go ahead of him and walk to the elevator.

“So how was waking up every hour last night?” Tony asked Bruce as we headed to the ground floor.

“It was fine, although I guess the bags under my eyes would beg to differ with that statement.” I let out a laugh as I stared at the illuminated numbers towards the ceiling.

“Hey, I offered to help.” I turned at that sentence and gaped at Tony.

“The great Tony Stark offered to help, someone call the press this is front page news.” I said the last bit out of the corner of my mouth like an old school news reporter. I received laughs from Steve and Bruce but Tony just crossed his arms over his chest and stared at me.

“I won’t ever again, smartass.” He muttered the insult as we got to the ground floor and the doors opened.

“Oh, no whatever will I do.” He did the mature thing and stuck his tongue out at me as he walked past me and into the lobby. Bruce and I exited next with Steve taking up the rear.

“Tony?” He turned around as he placed his hand on the door.

“Thanks for offering.” He smiled as he pushed the door open and let me through. I guess there was a first for everything.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading!