Status: In progress

Such Sweet Nothing

Grasping at Smoke

“What happened?” Pepper’s horrified voice bounced off the walls and sounded more frantic than Tony thought possible.

“I’m not sure. I just know there was an explosion and the gamma radiation,” He had to pause as she placed her hand over her mouth and tears started their descent down her face. “But she is alive.” His voice sounded unsure, like it was a complete fluke she was still alive.

“We just aren’t sure if there are going to be any repercussions if she pulls through.” The man standing in the corner of the lobby of the seventh floor stepped into the light. Pepper turned and Tony grabbed her hand in his.

“What do you mean repercussions?” She asked looking from Tony to Nick Fury with a panicked expression.

“Well the last time someone survived a blast of high dosage gamma radiation he turned into a big, green ball of angry.” Fury’s hands were clasped behind his back as he spoke calmly, evenly.

“Tony.” Pepper turned to look at him. He didn’t say anything and shifted around from one foot to the next.

“Is she?”

“I don’t know, Pep, I really really don’t.” He answered as he pulled her into his chest.

“Speaking of the big, green guy where is doctor Banner?” Tony glared at the man in front of him.

“He is a little indisposed at the moment. You know, with his best friend almost dying.” Tony’s tone became icier the longer he spoke.

“Why are you here?” Pepper stepped away from Tony, pulling herself together and wiping away the tears from her eyes. She was going to protect her cousin and she didn’t think she could if the man in front of her saw her being emotional.

“We just want to make sure Doctor Munroe is okay.” Pepper crossed her arms in front of her chest and held them tightly against her body.

“Somehow I don’t think that’s why you’re really here.” Tony’s stance now matched Pepper’s as they both stared at Fury. Side by side the couple waited to hear something from the director of S.H.I.E.L.D.

“If she has some issues we would like to keep an eye on her. If she has any reaction like doctor Banner had we have ways of helping her, of containing her until we know she can be safe.”

“You aren’t taking her.” Pepper snapped taking a step towards him, Tony grabbed her shoulder and made her stand still.

“I thought I would have some trouble getting you to see reason, but she would not only be a danger to the population but to herself. We have no interest in keeping her.”

“It should magnify something inside of her, who she truly is.” Pepper and Tony jumped as Steve entered the lobby behind them and stood next to Tony.

“If it is what you think happened to Bruce, what happened to me.” Steve continued as he stepped in between the two parties. “She isn’t a very angry person.”

“So if she makes it what do you think is going to happen Captain?” Fury’s question hung in the air as Steve looked towards the floor.

“I don’t know, sir.”

“I’m sorry to bother you, but I just-” The man in front of me was wringing his hands together, not in a creepy way but more of a ‘I’m nervous and you can totally tell’ kind of way. “Are you Doctor Munroe?”

“Yeah, and you are?” He held his hand out for me to shake; I accepted it and smiled as he smiled. He had a very contagious smile; I could tell it was one that didn’t come out very often.

“Doctor Bruce Banner.” He let go of my hand as I pointed at him.

“You, sir, are a genius.” He glanced down at his shoes and shook his head.

“I think you’re the genius. Your work in clean energy and astrophysic-.” He left his sentence off as he looked back up at me and made a gesture with his hands.

“Thank you, even though we both know you blow me out of the water in the world of astrophysics.” I placed a hand to my chest as a sign of genuine gratitude.

“I don’t know about that.” He laughed and I couldn’t help but smile.

“What brings you to London?” I asked, knowing he mostly worked out of New Mexico.

“Just visiting some old friends, they needed a consultation on some of their work. What about you, do you live here?” I guess he had done some research about me, seeing as I lived in London two years ago.

“No, just visiting. I was a guest speaker at Cambridge yesterday, so now I’m just enjoying my last days visiting some old hunting grounds.”

“Old hunting grounds, huh?” He smiled down at the floor before looking back up at me. I could tell this one was hard to keep eye contact with, a challenge.

“Yeah, have you been here before?” He shook his head.

“First time.” I smiled and nodded at him.

“Well if you need a tour guide,” I gestured to myself. “I am available.”

“Do you want to go grab some coffee?” His question caught me off guard as he stood there, staring me right in the eye.

“I, uh, yeah I do. Gives me a chance to pick apart your brain while eating a muffin.” He laughed and I found this stupid, goofy grin on my face.

“Great, but then I get to riffle through yours while eating a scone.” He shot back at me and for some reason I felt like he didn’t normally approach and talk to strangers like this.

“Deal Doctor Banner.”

“Just call me Bruce.”


I was getting the sudden feeling of déjà vu as he held the door open for me and that’s when things started getting blurry and then suddenly it was like grasping for smoke. This was familiar, this had already happened. It was Bruce, my Bruce, before all of the bad things had happened. Why was I here? It was all rushing back to me quickly. Did I die, was this heaven?

“Her organs are repairing themselves, I’ve never seen anything like it. It’s impossible.”

“Her brain waves are good, excellent, in fact.”

“Then why isn’t she waking up?” I knew that voice it was Pepper.

“I don’t know. If she hasn’t died by now I think she is going to be okay.” Died? That was a harsh word to use.

“Pepper she is going to be okay, she’s tough.” Tony! I heard an annoying, incessant beeping and I kind of wanted it to stop.

“Yeah, she’s doing good.” And Steve! Where was the other guy?

“Where’s Bruce?” Thank you Pepper.

“He’s been locked up in his room since he changed back after we brought her here. He isn’t doing so good.” Tony’s tone hit me like a ton of bricks. I was feeling a lot of things again, like my emotions were tuned into a different frequency. I was feeling worried, hope, love, helpless, and confused. All of the emotions seemed to be amped up, like it was way more than one person should be able to feel. Just as soon as they came they were gone and I was left with my own emotions. Concerned as hell about what kept happening and frustrated that I couldn’t wake up and let them all know I was okay.
♠ ♠ ♠
I just wanted to say THANK YOU SO MUCH to each and every freaking one of you for commenting! They made me smile and I genuinely appreciate it. It's what makes writing so fun for you guys :)