Status: In progress

Such Sweet Nothing

The Big Green Guy

“How’s she looking?” I jotted down some of the readings in front of me before I even glimpsed over my shoulder at the charismatic man with perfectly messed up brown hair.

“Great, I wouldn’t be surprised if the tower would be self sustaining for more than your one year projected timeline.” I could practically hear the smug grin form on his face as he bent next to me to look at my screen. I heard a crunch and turned my head to look at him.

“Hey! What have I said about food in here!” Tony only looked startled for a moment.

“It’s my tower.” He responded standing up straight.

“And 12% Pepper’s.” I muttered, I heard him sigh heavily.

“Why do you guys have to talk about everything.” I only laughed as he stuffed whatever he was eating into his pocket. He held his hands out as if to say ‘look no more.’

“So this is better than the last trial run?” I only nodded as I picked up my notebook.

“Maybe this time my tower won’t be destroyed by ugly, angry aliens.” Tony muttered under his breath as he took a seat in front of my workspace.

“Yeah well, one can only dream.” He spun from side to side.

“I have a new project for you.” I placed my pen behind my right ear.

“I’m listening.”

“I have this friend who needs some help. Oh, and I need your input on another suit.” I couldn’t tell which project was the new project and which was the afterthought. Sometimes Tony worked backwards in that way.

“What friend and just as long as I’m not in the room when you try it on again.” I saw him glance briefly at my left arm, a scar that was very visible seemed to be yelling at him.

“Deal. I think you might know of him, he worked in your area, and you know he turns into that big green guy you might have seen on the news.” My notebook hit the floor with a thud. Tony bent over in the chair to pick it up.

“All right there butter fingers?”

“B-Ban-“ I didn’t even manage to stutter out the word before Tony was standing and clapping me on the back.

“Great! So you have heard of him.”

“I can’t.” I snapped suddenly. Tony was not used to hearing me say no to a project.

“You can’t?” He asked hesitantly, his face twisted into a look of confusion.

“You don’t even know what it is yet. If you’re scared of him turning into the Hulk, I mean I think the man has some control over it by now.” I shook my head in his general direction.

“I’ll help you with the suit, okay? Now, I’m heading up for the night and I suggest you go home to Pepper.” I didn’t give him any room to argue with me as I grabbed my jacket and headed out of the tenth floor lab and towards the elevator.

“Hey! The doors slid open as Tony put his hand in between them.

“What?” He stood in front of me with his arms crossed in front of his chest.

“He’s a really nice guy.” He still thought that I was afraid of him turning into the Hulk, then again he had no idea it was for a different reason.

“I know, I just don’t-“ I could see his mind working.

“You know?” The elevators dinged in protest at being open for such a prolonged period of time but Tony stood his ground.

“Yes.” I said through clenched teeth.

“Wait, when you were over in-“ He made a motion in the air with his finger.

“Uh-huh.” I nodded once as the smile on his face slowly turned into a serious expression.

“Is he why you came back here?” I stared past him avoiding all eye contact.

“I don’t really want to talk about it.” He got into the elevator as it dinged again.

“What are you doing?” He didn’t look at me as he brought his cell phone up to his ear and ignored me.

“Hey Pep, why don’t you head up to Kylie’s. Yeah. Dinner. Okay. No, I’m just worried. I know. I know.” I rolled my eyes at the conversation on this end.

“I know. Okay. Yeah, I’ll see you soon. I love you too.” He pressed the screen to end the call and put it back into his pocket.

“Your cousin will be here shortly.” I only nodded once.

“Why are you worried?” We stepped out of the elevator and to my front door. I unlocked the door and allowed Tony in before I let the door swing shut.

“I’m not worried, who said I was worried?” He made himself at home and sat down on my couch.

“You did. Just now in the elevator.” I pointed behind me towards my front door. He gave me a ‘whatever’ look and folded his arms once again.

“So did he hurt you?” I took up the chair by the window and set my notebook down on my side table.

“No, I’m not afraid of the Hulk. I just haven’t seen him in a very long time and I don’t know. We left each other not on the greatest of terms.” I mumbled the last part so he had to lean forward to catch all of it.

“So you two were like involved?” He made a motion with his hand.

“No.” He caught my tone. It was annoying how well he knew me.

“You wanted to be.”

“You know I don’t know if I like this caring Tony Stark, bring back the egotistical asshole please.” He only smiled at me as he sat back into the couch. He hadn’t really been the same since last Christmas.

“So what happened?” I knew he was going to drag it out of me or he was going to get Pepper to do it, so I figured I’d crack easily and just tell him.

“We were just really close back in the day and then the accident happened. He tried to fix it himself and he wouldn’t let me help him in case he hurt me. He just completely shut me out and then next thing I know he is telling me he’s leaving and he isn’t coming back and he isn’t sure where he is going. So there, happy now?” That was the in a nutshell, no emotion version.

“How close?”

“You are worse than Pepper, you know that don’t you?” He scrunched his nose in my direction.

“We were just really good friends is all.”

“Right.” We sat in silence for a moment before my front door was opened and Pepper walked in.

“Oh, thank god.” I mumbled as I leapt from my seat to help her with the stuff she had in her hands.

“Hey guys.” She smiled as I grabbed the folders in her hands and set them on top of my breakfast bar.

“Hey Pep.” Tony stood up and kissed her on the forehead.

“Why the sudden change of venue for dinner?” She asked him. I guess she had been expecting me up to their place then.

“I just found out that Kylie knows Bruce from way back when.” He turned on me once again as Pepper looked surprised.

“Really? Oh! The guy, the one-“ I waved my hands at her in the known ‘shut up’ motion. Tony pointed from Pepper to me.

“Wait, what?” Pepper clamped her hand over her mouth but I heard her giggle as Tony set his sights on her.

“What guy? One who what?” He spun to look at me.

“Nothing. Can we drop the subject now?”

“Don’t you even want to know what the project is?” His final last ditch effort was to use science.

“Well I’m sure it isn’t curing him so-“ Tony raised his shoulders in my direction.

“He wants help to cure himself?”

“It’s classified, I can’t tell you until you agree to help us.”

“God dammit.” He smiled knowing he got me.

“Fine, you win. Now just order some freaking food while I go change. Stupid sonofa-“ I didn’t finished my sentence as I headed into my bedroom.

“Hey, so I was wondering if you wanted to come shopping with me tomorrow?” Pepper followed me as I went into my walk-in closet.

“Sure, what’s the occasion?” I traded my blouse for a plain grey shirt.

“Anniversary with Tony.” I smiled at her.

“Really?” She nodded with a grin.

“That’s so great. I’m happy for you two.” She handed me a pair of jeans that were above my head. I laughed as I pulled them on.

“Yeah, I can’t believe how much stuff has happened in a year.” I could only nod.

“And I’m happy you moved closer to us, I know Tony is really happy to have you working with him. I’m just happy you’re here.” Pepper and I had always been really close growing up and even when I moved away we still remained in contact with each other. She was more of an older sister to me than my cousin.

“I’m happy I’m here too. You just need to tell your boyfriend to butt out.” I said the last part loudly as we made our way back out into the living room. Tony waved his hand at me as I heard him ordering from our favorite Italian place.

“There is only so much control I have over him.” She smiled sympathetically in my direction as she went to sit at the table with Tony.

“Yeah well maybe you should try a tighter leash.”