Status: In progress

Such Sweet Nothing

Keep It Safe

“I don’t like this, I don’t like leaving you here.” Bruce was standing in the doorway of my room at S.H.I.E.L.D’s base. After our talk and kiss (which Tony walked in on) Fury had come in to ask that I stay and train differently. My power seemed a lot stronger now, it was easier to control and it seemed like I could really extend myself without bleeding through my nose.

“I’ll be fine. Fury told you guys they wouldn’t do that to me anymore. Steve is here, he’ll look after me. I just really want to be good at this, it’s hard enough knowing I’m some kind of-” I trailed off as I shrugged my shoulders. He was uncrossing his arms from his chest as he gave me a sad expression.

“Malfunction.” I finally finished as he shook his head at me.

“You're not a malfunction.” It seemed we both liked to describe ourselves with words that began with the letter ‘m’.

“Yeah, well I just want to be the best I can be. Besides, he is going to tell me more about my dad and why they’ve been watching me.” A stern expression crossed his face at the last part. He had a sore spot when it came to be watched and he didn’t like that I had been under anyone’s radar.

“I can’t protect you when I’m not here.” He went back to the original argument.

“There is nothing to protect me from anymore. I am going to be just fine, Bruce.” I didn’t want for him to worry about me. It was like something really had changed within him when my accident happened. He wasn’t the self loathing man I had come to be acquainted with the second time around.

“You’ll be home in two weeks?” He finally landed on a subject that didn’t include him hitting someone in the face if they hurt me.

“Yes. Steve and I will be there in two weeks.” I nodded once with a smile as he stepped forward and wrapped me into a hug.

“You’re not a malfunction.” He spoke the words into my ear as he leaned in to my head and placed his lips on my temple.

“We happen to think you’re wonderful.” I smiled at his words because I was pretty sure he meant himself and the Hulk.

“Yeah, well I happen to think you guys are wonderful as well.”

“Tell that to New York.” He laughed as I giggled into his chest. He pulled back so I could see his eyes.

“I will, set me on a rooftop and I’ll yell it.” He moved his arms down to my waist and grabbed my hips in his hands. He pressed his lips against my own, briefly.

“You’ll call me?” I nodded at his question and gripped his biceps.

“Every day.” He smiled brightly and we released each other, knowing that if we held on for any longer there was no way he would leave.

“Well, I guess I will see you in two weeks.” He was backing up towards the door, absentmindedly patting at his front pocket to check for his glasses.

“And we’ll get back to work.” He stopped at the threshold and tilted his head to the side just a bit.

“What?” I asked seeing him look at me with an expression I couldn’t quite comprehend. I planned on not using my ‘power’ on people unless it was absolutely necessary. I wanted my life to be as normal as I could allow it to be.

“I’m just a little scared.” His words had me shaking my head.

“I’ll be okay, they’ll stop with the scare tactics.” Now he was shaking his head at me as he looked down at his feet.

“What are you scared of?” He shrugged his shoulders slightly and continued to stare down.

“That you’ll change your mind.”

“About you?” He looked up at me as I stepped towards him.

“Yeah, about me. Us.” I didn’t even think about what I was doing until I found myself reaching around my neck.

“Kylie.” He breathed as he realized what I was doing at the same time I did. The necklace was in my hand so quickly I almost thought it magically appeared.

“Just hold on to it for me.” I slipped it into his pocket with his glasses and knew it was the right thing to do at this moment.

“Are you sure?” He placed his left hand over the pocket as he asked, although it looked like he would have put up a fight for it if I answered no.

“Of course I’m sure. It’s you, it’s always been you.” My eyes brimmed with the tears of all of the years waiting for this moment it seemed.

“Just keep it safe for me.” I blinked away the tears and smiled at him. He pulled me into him tightly and kissed me with some force behind the movement.

“Okay, you two. Break it up.” We pulled away from each other at Tony’s voice. His face appeared behind Bruce’s shoulder.

“At this rate he will never leave.” He pointed to me and then to Bruce as I let go of him for the final time.

“See you in two weeks.” Bruce said with a genuine smile on his face.

“Yeah, I’ll see you in two weeks.” I confirmed sending him some of the happiness I was feeling at the moment.

“Wow.” He whispered as he stepped back to allow Tony to hug me goodbye.

“Take care of him, please.” He nodded as he pulled away from him.

“I got him.” He said as he stood shoulder to shoulder with Bruce. We said final, final goodbyes and they were led out of the compound by Steve. Fourteen days to go.
♠ ♠ ♠
All of you are amazing! Thank you for the comments and thank you for reading. Annnnnd if there are any Sherlock (BBC) fans out there you might see a fic in the future :)