Tate

nine.

I dig through the clutter under my bed until I find it, an old wood box. I open it to find just what I was looking for, money. Money I had saved from birthdays, Christmas’, and the small amount I inherited from my deceased grandmother. It was all there. I pull the cash out of the box and stuff it into my purse. I throw my purse over my shoulder and head out.
~~
“So how much are you thinking?”
“Everything is in working order, I’m thinkin’ ‘bout eight-fifty?”
“Okay.” I say. “I’ll take it.”
“You sure? A car is a big responsibility.”
“Yes, I’m sure. I want it. I have the money right here!” I say. I pull out the wad of cash and begin counting out eight-hundred and fifty dollars.
“Woah, woah!” The guy in the cut off flannel waves his hands astonished. “where does a girl like you get that much cash? You rob a bank?” He asks.
“No.” I reply. “I’m just good at saving…”
“Alright…” He trails. I finish counting out the money and hand it him. This leaves me with just over five hundred dollars for my trip. I don’t plan on being gone too long. But I have to listen to Aiden; I cant sit around and feel bad for myself all summer. The man hands me the keys.
“If she gives you any trouble just give me a call!” I nod in excitement.
I hop into the drivers seat and start the car. The engine rumbles a bit before springing to life.
I drive home and begin to pack. A couple changes of clothes, some toiletries and my favorite blanket. I load my bags into the backseat of my new-but-not-new car. I write my father a short note simply stating not to worry about me and that I will be home soon and get into the drivers seat. I don’t know where I’m going, but anywhere is better than here.