Tate

five.

We pull up to Johnny’s cousin, Derrick’s house around ten. Aiden hops out of the truck, and I follow suit, pulling down the too-short dress I let her dress me in. She gave in when I opted to wear tights underneath, but I still felt exposed, so I continued to pull at the fabric until it rested just above my knees.
“Stop tugging at it! You’ll stretch it out.” Aiden complained, but I ignored her. If she didn’t want me to stretch it out, she shouldn’t have forced me to wear it. I follow her up the porch stairs to the front door. She knocks lightly before letting herself in. I tug the dress down again before following her in. We’re instantly greeted by Ali who is pulling us both into a tight hug. I squirm out of it and once again, adjust my dress.
“Thank God you’re finally here. It’s, like, a total sausage fest, and I am bored out of my mind!” Ali squeals. I can smell the alcohol on her breath.
“Where is everyone?” Aiden asks.
“Oh, they’re in the back playing poker.” Ali rolls her eyes. “Boring right?” She sighs. “Let’s get you guys some drinks!” She says and we follow her to the kitchen. She hands Aiden and I a beer out of the fridge. Aiden happily opens it and takes a long drink. I, on the other hand, open it, take a small sip and set it on the counter to not be touched for the rest of the night. We go outside to meet the guys. Liam, Chase, Johnny, and Derrick, along with a few other guys I don’t recognize, are sitting around a table playing Texas Hold’em.
“Hey ladies.” Chase says charmingly. Aiden gives him a half-hug and her kisses her cheek before taking his seat again. Ali takes a spot on his lap. Aiden sits on the arm of Johnny’s chair and looks down at him longingly.
“You ladies want to join?” Chase asks while dealing the next hand.
“Oh, no. I’m no good at poker.” Aiden shrugs. She glances up at me, “But Tate’s great! Her and her dad play all the time.” I glare at her.
“Wanna play?” Johnny asks.
I shrug. “No it’s okay.”
“Oh c’mon, I’ve already dealt you in!” Chase says. I look down at the unclaimed pile of cards on the table.
“Oh,” I start. “Okay, I guess.”
“I’ll get you a chair.” Derrick says while heading into the kitchen. He returns a moment later and puts the chair between his and one of the other guys I don’t know.
“Derrick, by the way.” He says holding his hand towards me. I shake it. “I’ve seen you around school?” He asks, more than states.
“Uh, yeah, probably.” I reply. I take my seat and pick up my cards. I look over them. A two and a Jack. I set my cards on the table and wait.
“This is Rob, Kirk, and David.” Derrick says, introducing the three strangers.
The first round of betting begins and I call, just to keep it simple. The flop is played; a five, a queen, and a two. I have a pair of twos, not the best, but it’s enough for me to stay in. Johnny and the guy to my right, David both fold. I call. The turn is played. Another queen. That gives me two pairs, and at least everyone one pair. Nobody folds this round. The bet is raised twice. I call both times. The river is played. A two. This gives me a full house. Rob and Kirk fold. Leaving me, Chase, Liam, and Derrick. The bet is raised and I call. We show our cards.
“Wow, guess you are alright.” Derrick says while flipping his cards. He has two pairs. Chase and Liam have nothing. I smile to myself.
“Let’s play a drinking game!” Ali suggests.
“Like what?” Chase asks, while hugging her waist.
“Kings cup?” Aiden suggests.
“That’s a good one!” Liam says.
“I can never remember all of the things, though.” Derrick says.
“I think I know most of them.” Aiden says. “But if we get stuck we can just make something up?”
“Alright, I’ll get the King’s Cup ready. It’s a little bit of everything, right?” Johnny asks while heading into the kitchen.
“Yup!” Ali says.
Liam sets up the cards in a circle , leaving an empty spot in the middle for the cup. Johnny returns and sets the cup in the middle of the cards. Before sitting he hands me the beer I left on the counter.
“You’ll need this to play.” He says quietly then takes his seat. Ali starts, drawing an eight.
“Eight’s date.” Aiden says. “So you pick someone to be your date! Every time you drink, they have to.”
“I pick Chase of course.” She says and kisses his cheek.
Chase draws a card. It’s a six.
“Six is dicks. So every guy has to drink.” They do. Rob picks his card, seven.
“Seven…” Aiden thinks for a moment. “Heaven!” She points up. “You have to point to heaven and the last to point has to drink. I am the last to point so I take a sip of my beer. Liam draws a six and all of the guys drink. Aiden draws a card. Eight.
“I pick Johnny to be my date.” She says with a smile. It’s his turn to draw. He draws a two.
“Two, you. You pick someone to take two drinks.” He glances at me. “Tate?” I take two gulps. Kirk draws a four.
“Four whore!” Aiden exclaims. “All of the girls have to drink.” We do.
It’s my turn to draw. I draw an Ace. Aiden burst out laughing.
“What is it?” I ask.
“It’s funny you would get this card!” She says between breathes. “You have to stick the card to your forehead and drink until it falls off.” You’re kidding. I give her a look. “Any of us can blow on it to help it come off, or to stay on.” She says.
“Alright…” I sigh.
“Don’t worry, I won’t make you drink too long.” Aiden says and gets up to stand behind me. I stick the card to my forehead and start to slowly drink my beer.
“C’mon, you have to actually drink!” Ali says. I take a few gulps of the beer before Aiden does one big blow and the card falls off.
Derrick draws the next card and the game continues.