Status: Active as long as I'll have my imaginative mind

Beneath You're Beautiful

Nosy friends or family meeting?

***Nadia***

I finish telling my story and carefully watch my brother, looking for any kind of anger or disappointment but in vain. Thanks God. His eyes give back only surprise and caring. And then he says that one sentence.

“It sounds like you've had a great time with Sidney.” Maybe it sounds cliché but with this said he actually agreed me and Sidney dating.

“Tell me Nadia, what do you feel when you’re with Sidney?”

Iľja asks softly almost scared of my answer and I don’t know of which answer. I raise my look from my hands to his eyes trying to identify any hint of discomfort or anger but I see nothing like that.
This is new and all my cells in my body shout to stop and come back to my mind. Only one voice in my head or maybe in a heart tells different and it confused me. My eyes drift back to my hands.

“I don’t know Iľja.”

I say truthfully. All those sparks when he touches me and those shiver when he says something confuses me more and more. I know it’s too soon to tell that I have feelings for him but I just don’t understand myself anymore. My subconscious is telling me that everything is how it may be, that I don’t have to be scared but honestly I am.

“You’re overthinking this, Nadia.” Iľja interrupts my thinking. Maybe he’s right. I’m just overthinking and everything what I feel is simply.

“Look Nadia, don’t try to deny it, just enjoy every minute of it.”

“Enjoy? And what? Iľja, what are you talking about?” I asked totally confused.

“Baby girl, you may not be sure what you’re feeling towards Sidney but you’ll find out soon and you’ll also find out that Sidney feels the same.” Iľja have to see my puzzled look and sigh.

“Nadia, what happened before is history. That old perv is in the prison and stays there for the rest of his life but that doesn't mean that every man in the world is the same.” I shudder at the memory. We never speak about this part of history.

“You can’t worry about him anymore, baby girl. Sidney is a good guy and if you want to be sure I can call Mikhael and he’d talk to him.” Iľja nudges my shoulder and chuckle. “Yeah Mikhael and his hearing skills will be the best assurance I could get.” I giggle and nudge him back. This is what I need. To tell somebody how I feel and not am scared.

“Alright, it’s time to call Mikhael.” Iľja says and I chuckle again but there is one problem. Iľja isn't laughing with me. My eyes slowly find his only to see that he’s utterly serious. “No Iľja, you will NOT call him. Right now I have three out of five my brothers here and don’t need another one. What you’re thinking?” I shriek. This is insane!

“Well it’s too bad because he’s here.”

At this moment I’m totally frozen. I bet you can’t hear my heart beats and me breathing. I can feel my eyes wide open and stare at my brother. And if it’s not enough he has to continue.

“And Pavel with mom are here too if you want to know.” He says smirking. That smirk! I’m going to wash it off of his face one day. I don’t know when or how but I will.

“So, all my family is here.” I say finally finding my breath. “Mom, dad and all my brothers in the same place and I’m the center of attention, oh great. Are here also all my sisters-in-law with my nieces and nephews? Tell me now or if I find out later it won’t end up good.” I point at him with my best death glare but he laughs.

Why is he laughing at me?

Oh yeah, because I can’t do that glaring thing.

“Fine, if it has to be, than fine. But where are they?” I ask more annoyed than anything. This has to do something with Sidney. They wouldn't come if it isn't Sidney but whose idea was it?

It can’t be Iľja. He would never do this to me, Piotr and Dmitry also not because for them it would mean loss. Mom loves me too much for this ‘parade’. Mikhael and Pavel don’t know about Sidney so I know that I have to have a little speech with dad.

“They meet with dad and then come here. I hope twins will come back before the rest of our family so we can warn them.” Iľja smiles warmly. As on a cue twins arrive back still grumpy.

This is what was missing here.

Grumpy twins!

And when they are like this it’s really pain in the ass. How the hell I should tell them that mom is coming here. I bet they wouldn't care if only Mikhael and Pavel come but mom is a different story.
My brothers are best buddies with dad but as dad my brothers are scared of my mom I can say.

“Dmitry, Piotr, u nas yest' plokhiye novosti. Mama priyezzhayet syuda. Ona budet zdes' primerno cherez chas.” (We have bad news. Mom is coming here. She’ll be here in about an hour.) Iľja says trying to be as softly as he only can be but twins aren't getting it.

They stay still and stare at us if we are crazy. I laugh at them but Iľja stops me.

“Don’t laugh Nadia; you looked exactly like that when I told you just half an hour before.” I glare at him and turn my head to see Piotr and Dmitry looking at themselves whit panic in their eyes.
“Chto vy dvoye govorite, dlya pol'zy boga?“ (What are you two talking about for God sakes?) I was ready to answer him but suddenly I hear voice behind me.

Here comes disaster.

God, help me.

“What they told for you to be that scared, boys?” familiar sweet voice that make my boys still again. “Answer me sons!” I laugh and stand up to hug my mom.

First thing I see are her mesmerizing green eyes which I have too. Thanks mom. I hug her tight like I haven’t seen her for a while but it was just a week.

“Mom, what are you doing here? Not that I complain.” I say after we both pull away.

“Well I heard that some boy is trying to get into your heart so I’m here to control those men so they would give you a break.” She smiles and hugs me again.

“What sort of break you mean?”

I look behind mom and see my smiling oldest brother and behind him is Pavel. Leaving my mom’s arm I run to Mikhael’s welcoming hug.

“Hey, somebody miss me too much?” I can’t even describe how happy I am to have Mikhael by my side. I know I said that I don’t want him here but everything is forgotten as I’m in his arms. He’s like dad and that’s why I feel so safe.

“So you miss Misho but not me? How sweet of you Nadia!” Pavel puts his hand on the chest where heart may be and pretends to be hurt. “Of course I miss you Pavel. Who wouldn't?” I hug Pavel as tight as other members of the family. I miss them so much. Family meeting is the best what can be in our family and I love it but can’t bear it longer than two days.

We talked for hours but not even once were mention the main reason why they were there. At this moment is Pavel telling one of his joke and everybody’s laughing but me. Dad has to notice my lack of humor.

“What’s on your mind, sweetheart?”

What’s on my mind? Well lots of things. For example: what would be on dinner or what should we watch on TV or why are you here. No that’s not in my mind. I have answer for all of them. But why aren't we talking about Sidney? He’s the reason why they are here and still acting like nothing happened. This is not how it may be and I don’t know why and it’s literally driving me crazy.

So dad to answer your question this is in my mind!

“Nothing important, dad.” smile appears on my lips. My hope that dad doesn't find out that I’m lying but don’t want to start something I’m not capable of to stop. Dad doesn't have time to respond because my phone buzzed. It takes me only one glance on the ID to rush out of room and lock myself in the bathroom.

“Hello?”

I have no idea what I am expecting but my heart is beating so fast that it might jump out of my chest and tells me to calm down. Fireworks just explode in my stomach and all my nerves tense while I wait for an answer.

“Hi Nadia, eto ya Evgeni. Ya khotel by sprosit' vas , khotite li vy , chtoby vstretit'sya s Sidney segodnya vecherom.” (It’s me Evgeni. I would like to ask you whether you want to meet with Sidney tonight.)

***SID***

Enlighten me why am I friend with these men?

Today is Geno's day 'of welcome doors' and that’s the reason why Jordan, Max, Kris, Marc and I are lounging on Geno's superb comfortable couch. It could be so nice day if Max didn't start but I could await that they want to know about yesterday.

“Split it out, Crosby! We don’t have all day for this and not even speck of patient.”

Since this sentence was asked I was fine. I had fun and happy. But now I’m nervous and don’t find the words to form in my mouth.

This is not their business! What I do in my personal life has no affection on them. Yeah right. If they heard this they’d probably bind me to the floor and try to get anything out of me. They would say that I’m their friend so they have all rights.

And the worst is just Geno. He’s like an old lady on the market, knows everything and be first to tell everyone. If he is even a little suspicious he would use that glare and as always it works.

In my head are all scenarios of what I should tell. I may even play it innocent but how I said earlier Geno would know. What now? I’m eyeing my team mates with narrow eyebrow, waiting for them to get it that I do not want to talk about it.

“Oh Crosby, why so stubborn?” Geno complains and I can tell that they don’t have energy for this. When nobody’s watching me anymore, sigh escapes my mouth only to Max to look at me again.
“It’s not over.” He narrows his eyebrows and threats me. “Really scary, Max!” I mutter under my nose.

This day of ‘welcome doors’ is full of video games, junk food and beer. Not so hard to know. Don’t expect that we have it every week quite opposite. This is the first one and maybe last before season starts and during season is no time.

Everything seems peaceful.

Jordan and Max are shouting at each other while playing FIFA (Yeah we can play FIFA even if we are hockey players!). Max is shouting that if Jordan would make another fault on his player then he would throw him to the river and Jordan is defending himself that it wasn't fault and Kris is on his side while Marc is on Max side. I was laughing at the sight of them when I felt movement to my left side. My eyes drifted there and widen.

It’s too late!

I see Malkin with my phone in his hands and listing my contacts.

“Do NOT even think about it Malkin!” my voice is cold as ice and harsh. I’ll kill him. This thought isn't as bad. He’s hitting on my nerves for a long time. Before I have a chance to get my phone back I hear that beautiful voice.

“Hello?”

My eyes wide open as I stare at Malkin. All shouting stops and everybody pay attention and for a little moment I thought they even prayed for Geno.

“Hi Nadia…”