Status: in progress

Stumbling Upon a Stranger's Grave

Chapter One

Vic’s POV

“Vic, come help unpack the car!” my mom called from our van. I sighed, turning to face my family.
We — well, my parents-decided that a trip up north to Michigan to visit family would do us some good.
I knew the real reason, though.
Back in San Diego, I’m bullied pretty bad for my size, my voice, my personality, anything. Mostly my sexuality, I think.
I had one friend-not counting Mike, my little brother-back home named Jaime. Since I didn’t bother trying to defend myself anymore, they did it for me.
You see, I’m partially mute. Well, selective mute, I guess. I don’t know.
I used to defend myself against the bullies, but when I realized it wasn’t helping anything-in fact, bringing more-I shut down and quit talking. I wouldn’t even talk when I was alone.
I talk to my parents and Mike occasionally-and by occasionally, I mean a couple words here and there every few months. They haven’t heard my voice in…four months now, I think.
I think it gets to Mike more than it gets to my parents. Of course my parents are effected by my selective mutism-shit-whatever-it’s-called, but it hits Mike the hardest.
Whenever he was sad or angry, I used to sing to him. Not little lullabies, no. I used to make up stupid little phrases off the top of my head and sing them to him to get him to laugh. I think he misses the long talks with his big brother, too.
I sighed quietly, in a bad mood from my thoughts. That’s why I don’t like to think about anything anymore. Plus I really didn’t want to be here.
Oh well. We’ll only be here for three weeks.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
“Come on, Vic! At least one word?” Mike begged as we sat in our shared room. I shook my head, making him sigh. I grabbed a pen and a piece of paper before scribbling two words on it.
I can’t.
“Yes, you can! I know you can, Vic! Please, for me?” he pleaded, looking down at my small frame compared to him- or anyone, really.
Mikey, I can’t. I’m sorry. Come on, let’s go to bed. I’m tired.
He sighed, giving up as he crawled into the bed next to me. For now, we’ll be sleeping in the same bed until our aunt moves the other in here.
I turned so my back was to him, closing my eyes as tears filled them. He begged me to talk every night for the past four months, but I wouldn’t. I hated disappointing my little brother. I hated disappointing my parents. But that’s all I’ll ever do.
I’m just a big disappointment.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Vic! Mike! Why don’t you two get out of the house and do something?” my mom called down the hallway towards our room, where we barely heard her because of our blasting music.
Mike gave me a look that said “do you want to?” and I shrugged, telling him in my own way that I really didn’t care if we did or not. He shrugged back and called to our mom “We’ll be back in an hour!”
We hurriedly got on our shoes and jackets, walking out of the door and into the slightly cold weather, even though it was the beginning of summer. “So, um how have you been?” Mike asked awkwardly, not really expecting an answer, just saying it to fill the silence.
“Um, okay,” I said quietly, my voice sort of hoarse even as I whispered. His eyes widened and he looked over at me.
“Vic! You-you talked!” he yelled, stepping in front of me and shaking my shoulders with a happy grin on his face. I smiled a little before getting out of his grasp.
“Yeah. Don’t get used to it,” I whispered again, clearing my throat so I could try and talk louder. “How have you been, Mikey?”
“Wonderful now that you’re talking to me!” he said cheerfully. He did a lot of the talking in our conversation, but I contributed a few words here and there. It kind of hurt to talk considering that I haven’t in forever.
We passed by a cemetery after a half hour, and I slowed down. It looked beautiful, with flowers and trees and plants surrounded it, even though it was a place of sadness. “Should we go in?” I whispered. Mike looked at me weirdly.
“Yeah, I mean, if you want to. Not like there’s much else to do in this town anyway,” he snorted as he opened the gate and let us in. I smirked to myself at his comment as I walked in, him trailing after me.
You could tell that no one had ever really been here in a long time. The plants were overgrown, but it still looked nice.
I scanned some of the names and dates on the headstones, none of them particularly interesting. My searching was interrupted by Mike.
“Man, we’ve got to start heading home,” he said, grabbing my arm and tugging me out even though we only got through half of the cemetery. “Hurry, before Mom freaks out!”
I turned to look over my shoulder as we left, promising myself that I would come back-with or without Mike-tomorrow.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~KELLIN’S POV~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“What’s today’s date momma?” I asked, watching as she cooked the fish I caught by the creek.

“Well it’s May 21st, 1932 of course, why honey?” she replied.

“Just wondering. I felt like I had something to do today, but never mind. I’m gonna go check on Tommy and Luke.” I said, leaving the kitchen.

She nodded, but then called out after me, “They should be in the stables and feeding the horses!”

I kept walking because I knew damn well they weren’t. I peered into the barn, seeing that they weren’t there and of course, all five horses still weren’t fed. I made my way to the food barrel and scooped food into each of the horses’ bowls. When I was finished, I walked out to the pasture, seeing Tommy pulling on Annabelle’s hair and Luke playing in the grass, minding his own business.

“Stop it Tommy! You big meanie!” she yelled, reaching for the doll he had just snatched from her. He might have let her hair go, but I tell you, if you take her doll, your ass is going to be kicked by a 6 year old little girl. She punched him in the gut without mercy and took her doll back.

I chuckled, “Anna, go inside! Mom’s almost done with dinner!”

She looked up, finding me and smiled, now running to me. I pulled her up in a hug and kissed her forehead.

“Did you see me?!” she asked, smiling brightly.

“I sure did! You got Tommy good! Now, go ahead I’ll be there in a minute.” I ruffled her hair so she stuck her tongue out and ran into the house.

I walked over to Tommy, who was sprawled out on the ground from the impact of Anna’s little fist. I grabbed his hand, pulling him up.

“When did Annabelle get so tough?” asked my pouting, 8 year old brother.

“Since Luke started teaching her, now go inside,” I scolded.

Luke was only 5, so he knew I was lying. He frowned but obeyed me and went inside.

I got to Luke, picking him up, and made my way back in. Anna was busy setting the table and Tommy was in the den, playing with a toy truck. I set Luke down, helping Annabelle with the table when my dad walked in. Normally he’d greet us warmly, but something has been off since church, and church was two days ago. He came in without a word and sat in his chair, staring blankly at the wall in front of him.

“Hi, love. Are you alright?” my mom asked, now sounding worried as she placed the food at the middle of the table.

“Hi, yes, I’m fine.” he replied, getting up to sit at the table.

We all sat down and once everyone got their food, I decided to ask my dad what was wrong with him.

“Dad, you’ve been acting strange lately, what’s the matter?”

He looked at me, dead on.

“Really? Do you really have to ask?”

“Yes, I don’t understand.” I replied, my brows furrowing.

“I saw you Sunday evening! With that boy!” he was practically screaming now.

I gulped. He’d seen me with my childhood friend, Jack. He came over for dinner and we’d kissed afterwards in our barn when he was helping me feed the horses.

“I-I’m sorry.” But I wasn’t, I’d become really fond of Jack.

“Sorry?! You commit homosexual acts and that’s all you have to say for yourself?!” he asked, fuming.

“Jared, it’s not so bad, if we keep it –“

“KEEP IT A SECRET? HE’S GONE AGAINST CHRIST AND BROUGHT DISGRACE TO THIS FAMILY.” He screamed, pointing his judging index finger in my direction.

Those words rang in my head, leaving me feeling empty.

“But honey, please, give him another chance.” My mom was begging and beginning to cry. It hurt to see her that way but I couldn’t do a thing about it.

“No, he leaves in the morning. I can’t believe you’re siding with him, Helena. Maybe you and the rest of these kids are just as worthless as him.” He spat, getting up and storming out the door.

We all sat there quietly, but my mom broke the silence.

“Everyone, go upstairs and head to bed, alright?” she said, not making eye contact with any of us.

I led all three of my siblings to the bathroom to brush their teeth before tucking them in.

“Night, mom, I love you,” I called from the top of the stairs before going into me and Tommy’s bedroom.

I pulled up the covers and tears began to stream down my face as I fell asleep.

I woke up, choking on smoke. I wiped my eyes and stooped to the floor, opening my door to a scene similar to hell. I looked over seeing Tommy waking up. I ran to him and shook him awake. His eyes widened and he began to cry.

“Shh, shh Tommy it’ll be okay. I need you to come with me to get Anna and Luke.” I said quickly, leading him out of the room.

“O-Okay,” he responded, sniffling.

My mom’s room was to the left and since I sent Tommy to the right to get the other two, I went to get my mom.

I burst through the door, “Mom! Get up!!”

She shot up, breathing in sharply and choking on the smoke.

“Where’s the kids?” she asked, walking out the door.

“KELLY!”

Annabelle. I knew her voice anywhere.

I looked to my mom, “Get Tommy and Luke outside, I’ll get Anna.”

“But wait, what about—“

“JUST GO!” I yelled.

I ran into Anna and Luke’s room, seeing her trapped behind her burning dresser. She looked terrified and was crying while clutching her doll to her chest. The only way I could reach is if she tried hopping over.

“Annabelle, you’re gonna have to jump for me,” I said, holding out my arms.

“I-I can’t K-Kelly,” she sniffled, shaking her head.

“I know you can Belles, c’mon,” I cooed, getting as close as possible.

She was hesitant but she jumped, and made it.

I took her hand, “Run.”

I held her hand steadily as she ran down the stairs. When had she gotten so fast? I coughed violently, and released her hand, letting her run ahead. I was about 30 feet from the door when a burning beam from the ceiling collapsed. Shit, I was trapped.

“NO KELLY! C’MON!” she cried, standing in the doorway.

“Go ahead, I’ll catch up!” I called after her, knowing I couldn’t.

I watched as she ran out. I looked around, frantically searching for an opening.

Nothing.

Crack

I jumped back as another beam fell, making a circle of flames around me. I plopped down, pulling my legs up to my chest and wrapping my arms around them. The flames came closer. I might be only 17, but I’m ready.

Goodbye Jack.

Goodbye Annabelle.

Goodbye Tommy.

Goodbye Luke.

Goodbye Mom.

I’m glad to never have to face you again Father.

The flames reached me, scorching my flesh. I cried out in agony, giving into the home I grew up in, burning around me. My eyes rolled back and there was nothing.

Did I say nothing? I was in a white room now, a grand door stood before me. I looked around; to the left, the right, behind me and even behind the door. Nothing. Just white. I opened the door, seeing a flash of time. It felt as if I’d watched the entire thing in real time. My family visiting what seemed to be grave in a beautiful little cemetery. Now walking through the door I sat above the grave stone, watching my siblings grow older and eventually, they stopped visiting all together. I assumed they had passed away.

The decades seemed to be getting longer and longer, and much more real. Everyone had passed on, and I was alone. No one bothered to visit the cemetery anymore. I doubted anyone even paid any mind to its existence. I didn’t know why I was stuck here. My family moved on, why can’t I?

I sighed again, sitting on top of my gravestone peacefully. It was then that I heard a creak and groan that only could have come from the gate. I gasped excitedly and stood up, watching eagerly as two boys walked in. One was extremely short, even shorter than me. One was extremely tall, and tattooed. I watched them in fascination for awhile, wishing I could speak to them. What year was it? Was the world much different? I frowned when I saw the taller one grasp the shorter boy’s arm and drag him out of the cemetery before he got to my grave. I hoped they would come back tomorrow and see my grave. Or even me myself… if that was even possible……
♠ ♠ ♠
The chapters will be quite long because we try to include both POV's in each chapter.
Thanks for reading
xoxo