Status: in progress

Stumbling Upon a Stranger's Grave

Chapter Eight

Vic POV
"Are you sure you didn’t dream up this book? I mean, that would make more sense than the thought of you going to a library, " I grumbled as I followed Mike around the room.

Mike gave me a look. “Hey, I was looking for something, so I decided to check out the library. I saw it, but I didn’t think anything of it."

"What were you looking for?" I asked, curious. He stayed silent and I sighed. “Mike," I whined.

He huffed, not lookin at me. “I’ll tell you later, you might cause a scene here."

"I will not cause a scene!" I exclaimed, causing the people in the library to look over. Mike gave me a “I-told-you-so" look and I rolled my eyes. “Starting now."

"Seriously, Vic. I’ll tell you later," Mike muttered under his breath. I sighed, ducking under his arm so I was standing in front of him.

"Tell me now," I demanded, looking up at him.

"Fine! I was trying to figure out how you were so quiet all the time! I was trying to find out why you wouldn’t talk, what was going through your brain! It was so painfully obvious that you weren’t going to tell me, damn."

I stared at him in disbelief. “You were trying to research selective mutism or whatever the fuck I have?"

He looked at the ground, shrugging his shoulders. “Yeah, I guess," he mumbled. “I just wanted my big brother back."

Instead of getting angry or annoyed like he probably expected me to, I stood on my toes and hugged him. He seemed surprised by my sudden display of affection, but returned the hug nonetheless.

"Thanks for making the effort, even though I would have told you eventually," I chuckled, pulling back. “Now let’s find this damn book before I go insane."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I can’t believe we didn’t find it," Mike sighed as we fell into bed later that day.

We had spent literally the whole day at the library searching for that fucking book. We were wasting time sitting here instead of searching, but the library had to close sometime.

We were now down to thirteen days.

"I know," I sighed, turning onto my stomach to look at him from across the room. “I think I’m going to tell Kellin about our ‘progress’."

Mike nodded, understanding right away that I wanted to be alone with him. I smiled at him slightly before slipping on some shoes and slipping out of the house quietly.

It was about ten at night, and fairly cold. I cursed myself when I realized that I forgot a jacket again. But hey, at least I was wearing a long sleeve.

I opened the gate and slipped into the cemetery, walking slowly to Kellin’s grave with my hands in my pockets and my head down. I was ashamed in myself that I hadn’t found the book, and now I had to tell Kellin that. I really didn’t want to see him disappointed.

Before I could say anything, Kellin appeared. “Did you find it?" he about shouted, looking excited. His eyes were shining with hope and I really didn’t want to be the one who made the light disappear.

"Um, about that," I muttered, running a hand through my hair. I sighed, shrugging my shoulders slightly. Fuck it, I thought. He’s going to find out sooner or later, anyway. "We didn’t find the book. And we’re down to thirteen days until we leave."

I watched the hope and happiness slowly fade out of his eyes. I bit my lip, waiting for his response to what I had just stated.

Kellin’s POV

“We didn’t find the book. And we’re down to thirteen days until we leave.”

The smile I had left my face completely. I stared at the ground for what seemed like hours.

“Kells….are you okay?” Vic asked quietly.

I don’t know what happened, but it felt as if anger was literally coursing through my nonexistent veins. I looked up to the blurred sky, thanks to my tears, and let out a scream that I had no idea I was capable of. Once I was out of breath, I looked back to Vic, who was looking absolutely terrified. I floated back to my tombstone and slumped down, sighing heavily. This was a stupid idea. Why did I even get my hopes up? Vic was still frozen in place, but I didn’t move. I just stared ahead.

“I’m sorry.” I whispered.

He sat down and put his head in his hands, “No, I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have gotten your hopes up like that.”

I didn’t respond. I just focused on the sound of the birds singing around the cemetery. Eventually, Vic knew I didn’t want to say anymore, so he left. I refused to move from my spot. It’s stupid but I felt angry towards he and Mike for giving me false hope. It’s stupid because I actually let myself believe I could be free from this hell and able to live with Vic. I was beginning to have feelings for him. Much stronger than friendship. Of course, I’d fall for someone alive. The heart wants what it cant have.
♠ ♠ ♠
Last one until my collab partner checks in with her part for the next chapter.
You're welcome for the depressing sort of cliffhanger thingy... ;D
xoxo