A Dog's Life

Fourteen

“Sar can you grab my sunglasses off the dresser?” Zacky called up the stairs as Sarah tried to get ready.

“On it, be down in ten,”

“Okay, breakfast is nearly done,” Sarah smiled, it was the small things she loved about Zacky, such as right that second he was downstairs making her, her favourite breakfast. Today was the big revealing, the nightmare cast would finally be gone and Sarah would be halfway back to normal.

Not that she was ever completely normal anyway.
She smiled to herself finishing her eyeliner off and adjusting her jeans a little as she admired herself in the mirror.

Not bad.

She put her eyeliner back on the dressing table and gazed over it looking for Zack’s sunglasses. She frowned knowing she’d seen them up there before but couldn’t remember when or where he moved them to. Sarah opened the top two drawers of the dresser, where random things were always stuffed, such as cufflinks, bowties and she hoped sunglasses.

She felt a bit awkward going through his drawers, and decided one more drawer and that was it. They were together but that didn’t mean she wanted to snoop through his drawers. Not that she was snooping but it felt like it.

The second two drawers down where similar to the first, with an array of bits and pieces in them, including bars for his piecing and eyeliner. Sarah smiled gazing at the eyeliner and remembering the last time he’d worn it. There was something about Zacky with eyeliner that just worked. Sarah paused when the red leather of his sunglasses case caught her eye, she had no idea what it was doing in here, but picked up the small frames that were getting in the way of it. She placed the frames on top of the dresser and took the glasses case out. A quick check the glasses were in there and then Sarah put everything back.

She picked up the photo frames and glanced at the photo inside. Curiosity had got the better of her.

The first one was of Zacky and Ichabod, she couldn’t believe he didn’t have that picture out, they both looked adorable. The second photo was of a petite blonde girl clinging onto Zacky, they were dressed smartly, and looked as if they were at a party possibly. Zack looked young and Sarah had a feeling it was his smile that caused that, the two lip piercings glinting in the flash, as well as the ring through his nose. He looked really happy.

The final picture was of the blonde girl again, she was on a sandy beach somewhere in a bikini jumping up in the air. One of those classic shots where the sun was bright, and the beautiful blue sky behind her gave a wonderful backdrop. The photo could be used in a clothing magazine, she looked incredible, her skin was perfectly golden, her hair bleached by the sun yet still looked perfectly kept and she had perfect curves in all the right places. No fat, just curves, which amazed Sarah.

She was one of those girls that everyone wanted to be, but quite frankly no one could, she was almost perfect.

That had to be Jenny.

“Sarah breakfast!” Zacky called bringing her out of her thoughts; she quickly stuffed the photo frames back in the drawer and pushed it hard shut.

“Coming,” She called back. Sarah turned to pick the glasses up off the bed; she caught her reflection in the mirror again and sighed. She couldn’t compete with that.

You shouldn’t have to

She heard the phrase in her head and knew it was right, that didn’t make it any easier though.

“Okay one last snip and we are done!” The nurse smiled cutting through the cast to reveal Sarah’s arm.

“Oh wow two arms who’d have known?” Sarah smiled at Zack as the nurse got rid of the leftover cast and went to get some forms.

“I know I sure didn’t sign up for that, one armed you’re a lot less dangerous!” He smirked sitting on the doctors bed next to her and wrapping an arm round her shoulder. “So how much longer do we have to be in hear?”

“We’re gonna give her some x-rays and then she is free to go,” Sarah huffed, realizing this was going to take longer than expected.

“You don’t have to stay,” She muttered to Zacky who nodded and pressed a kiss against her cheek. Really she wanted him to stay but clearly Zack had had enough. “I’ll let you know what they say, catch you-“

“Do you want coffee? I’ll get doughnuts as well,” Sarah raised her eyebrows in confusion. “What? You thought I wasn’t coming back,” He chuckled and shook his head. “I’m here for the long haul,” He smiled cupping her face and pressing his soft lips against hers. There was something about his kissing style that made her melt, she was putty in his hands as soon as he pressed his plump, pierced lips against hers. He’d move slowly, and as soon as she followed he’d up the pressure.

The nurse behind coughed loudly and Zacky pulled back a huge smile on his face.

“Thank you sir, if you don’t mind, your partner needs her x-rays,”

“Yah, she’s all yours,” He smiled back, his eyes flicked back to Sarah and he held her gaze. “Jelly and sprinkles?”

“And a milkshake, no hot drinks,”

“On it,” Zacky laughed shooting her a wink before leaving her alone in the hospital.

“Right shall we got those x-rays done?” The nurse smiled warmly at her. Sarah nodded following the lady out of the room. “You two make a cute couple,”

“Thanks,” Sarah never knew what to say to compliments like that, not that she’d had that many before.

“Looks like he really cares for you, been together long?”

“Since the accident,” The nurse nodded as she Sarah up in the x-ray room. “He’s been really great through it all,”

“Your own personal doctor nice,” She chuckled stepping out of the room. “Now you sit tight, it’ll only take a few seconds,” Sarah smiled back thinking about her previous comment, Zacky really had been like her own personal doctor. He looked after her, walked the dogs, and made her food. He was there when it really hurt and made her feel beautiful when she was covered in cuts and bruises. Now it was all fading though, would she and Zack fade with it?

What if he just felt guilty for the accident?

But she’d caused the accident, it wasn’t really his fault. Maybe it was because he’d shouted at her over the phone, but that was long forgotten about she couldn’t imagine that still bothered him.

“You okay sweetie?” She looked up as the friendly nurse came back in. “You don’t look so good,”

“Oh it’s nothing,” Sarah smiled putting on her best fake smile.

“You missing that man of yours already?” She laughed opening the door for Sarah. “Right let’s get you back to the doctors, I doubt there is anything wrong, it was a simple break, and has probably heeled just fine,”

“Hope so!” Sarah replied back following her back to the waiting area. The nurse left her there letting her know that the doctor would take a look at her x-rays and call her through; then it was all over.

Sarah waited for ten minutes, just gazing around the waiting room and watching people come and go. Lots of people seemed to have broken bones at the moment. After 10minutes people watching got boring, the fmaily behind her were starting to annoy her somewhat, or at least the over protective mother was. Sarah fished her phone out of her pocket and flicked around on it. Zack wasn’t back yet, he’d been gone a while and she’d thought he’d have sugary treats for her by now.
She flicked through facebook on her phone, noticing a status update from Niki about needing a drink, and a comment from Rhian who’d agreed completely. Sarah bit her lip before making a decision she knew she’d regret.

How about a celebratory girly drinks?

She pressed enter and then sent a quick text to Taylor checking she was free tonight; Thursdays were her usual night off.

What are we celebrating?

She saw the reply from Rhian, and then quickly another from Niki, saying they could make something up just get her the drinks. Sarah smirked taking a quick picture of her cast free arm and uploading it to facebook.

Let’s celebrate my horrific tan lins/cast free arm!

She tagged Niki, Rhian and Taylor in the post, deciding it was much needed. She got on well with Rhian and Niki, since the BBQ she’d seen them a couple of times and she felt it would be good to build up her friendship group.

“Miss Jones,” A doctor stepped into the waiting room and looked around. Sarah felt her phone vibrate a few more times but ignored it standing up and waving at him. The doctor was later 40s early 50s maybe, and smiled as she waved; so few patients were ever that cheerful. “Lovely to meet you Miss Jones, you’re looking well,”

“Feeling much better, and so glad to be rid of the cast,” The doctor smiled at her.

“Well that’s good to hear, if you’d like to come through we can get you back out asap,” Sarah smiled back, taking a quick glance back at the waiting room to see if Zack was back yet. She sighed disappointed he wasn’t there for the last little bit.

When the doctor was finally finished explaining bits Sarah could leave, he made sure she understood everything he explained and warned her to take it easier for a little while. No crazy handstands just yet. Sarah smiled as she stepped back into the waiting room ready to leave. She quickly gazed round the room, her eyes fixing on her boyfriend.

Zack was sat next to a youngish boy, maybe 10-11, with a pen in his hand signing the boys cast. Sarah bit her lip watching him chat to the boy for a little before gazing up. Zack spotted her straight away, he winked at Sarah, before turning to the boy and saying goodbye.

Sarah watched the young boy talk animatedly to his dad, she couldn’t help but smile.

“Hey beautiful,” Zacky smiled pulling her into his grip and pressing a soft kiss on her. “I have milkshakes and doughnuts in the car, let’s get you out of here!”

“My hero!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy!
I love knowing what you all think about their relationship, so thank you for the comments, they are great to read! xxx