A Dog's Life

Nineteen

Sarah’s eyes flicked up from her laptop, to the TV, to the clock on the wall. She was fed up of this, utterly fed up, life sucked at this very moment in time and she did not see it improving. She hadn’t spoken to Zack in a week, the only contact she’d had was with Brian who dropped Spike off for her, he’d been really awkward and had no idea what to say.

While Rhian, Jimmy’s girlfriend had text her to let her know if she needed anything Rhian was only a call away. Sarah had been grateful for her kindness but right now she just needed to think. To decide where she was in her own head before she considered where Zacky was.

She heard the squeal of tyres outside as she picked up her mobile. She’d been meaning to phone Taylor back all day, but had been so apathetic she’d not bothered. She searched for the number and pressed dial as she heard car doors slam.

“Hello?”

“What are you doing?” Taylor’s voice loud and demanding greeted Sarah.

“Hello to you too,”

“Yes hello, look I’m in the middle of service but I haven’t heard from you and I was worried,” Taylor sounded stressed and Sarah could hear the background noise from the restaurant.

“I’m fine, just keeping busy, I’ve made that skirt you wanted, with the floaty material,”

“Excellent I’ll pop round tomorrow and get it, have you spoken to him?” Taylor got straight to the point, the mere insinuation of Zacky was enough to bring Sarah crashing back to reality. “Sarah?”

No. She hadn’t spoken to him, text him, wrote to him, even bothered to go near him for the past few days. It hurt, it hurt so much and she’d tried every trick known to man to block out the pain. Nothing worked.

“Sarah?”

“No,” She replied dully, dropping back onto her sofa and pulling her knees up to her chest. Her defensive position was the best she had to stop the pain that was hitting her.

She’d really liked Zack. Hell she may have loved him, and it was all gone. He was gone.

“Oh Sar,” Taylor sighed dropping the spoon she’d been stirring with and stepping back from the sauce. “Talk to him will you,” Sarah just nodded gazing up as she heard the apartment block door slam shut. She gazed out her window to see one of her neighbors skirt past a Honda poorly parked out front towards his own car.

“Yeah,”

“I mean it, I don’t think he’s one of the bad ones, just has a bit of baggage!” Sarah just nodded, hearing footsteps pounding up. “But don’t we all,” The footsteps stopped on her floor, her apartment wall next to the staircase meant she could hear people, especially loud people!

Then the screaming started.

Whatever Taylor was saying Sarah forgot about, she said goodbye to her friend quickly and put the phone down.

Spike had already started barking.

“WHORE! You fucking whore he was mine how could you do that!“

Sarah looked back towards Spike who continued to bark at the door.

“You stole him from me you cheap fuck, you couldn’t leave- “ Sarah moved towards the door and very carefully looked through the eye hole.

The sight in front of her wasn’t what she expected.

A petite blonde girl, wearing heels Sarah would fall over in, skinny black jeans and a pretty sheer top.
She was the kind of girl that turned heads. However, with a bottle of something Sarah couldn’t make out, in her hand and the screaming coming from her she was making a very different first impression. She’d seen her before, she’d been at Zack’s house.

“Shit,” Sarah muttered and the girl stumbled towards the door slamming into it, she took a swig of the bottle and started banging her empty hand against the door.

“Open who you slut! Fucking face me!”

“No thank you,” Sarah muttered stepping back and going to grab her phone, she had planned on dialing the police but the phrase coming from the girls mouth changed everything.

“He was my fucking rockstar! I worked hard for him, I fucking did-“ The girl carried on ranting about her rock star, her man, her Zacky Vengeance, to the point Sarah half wondered if she knew his real last name.

She quickly changed her choice of rescuer and pressed dial on a number she had tried to ignore all week.

“Hey darlin-“

“She’s banging my door down!”

“ ‘da fuck?” He laughed, he was drunk, and of course he was drunk at the BBQ, that’s what normal people do!

“Zack pass me to someone sober! Now!”

“You don’t wanna talk to me?” He was drunk and from the sounds of it really drunk. Part of her was glad because she knew if he was sober there would be a totally different conversation happening right now.

“Zacky please this is serious, I need you round here right now and you’re too drunk to understand that, get me someone else!” The line went quiet before the cheery voice of Rhian was heard.

“Hey Sarah how ya’doing? You phoned Zack so-”

“Rhian she’s here! Screaming my name, banging on the door demanding I let her in, she won’t go away! and I’m pretty sure she’s as drunk as her ex-fiancé,” She knew Rhian was processing her rant and Sarah tried to wait for it click on but she did not have time. “Jenny is here threatening me!”

“Shit, are you sure?”

“Damn sure, she’s mentioned Zacky a few billion times and that I should keep my paws off her man!”

“Oh shit,”

“Yeah so could ya know, you lot do me a favor and get her away from my flat or I’ll call the police and cause all kinds of shit for Zack and her,”

“I get it,” Rhian sighed and Sarah faintly heard her talking to someone else. “We’ll be there in literally 10 minutes, just stay away from her ok, and just give us those 10 minutes ok,”

“Fine,”

Sarah groaned as the shouting started again. She did not need this.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know I owe you all some happiness but just hold out for me please, and thanks!
If you do want a little cheery-ness check out my new story (shameless plug) it's not A7X but it is a rather cute love story, [URL= http://www.mibba.com/Stories/Read/594915/Edge-of-Our-Dreams/] Edge of Our Dreams. [/URL]

Thank you all for reading, one more chapter to go! xx