A Dog's Life

Twenty

Sarah put the phone down straight away and glanced towards the door again, just reassuring herself the bolt was across and the safety chain was there. Spike gazed up at her from his place on the sofa, still looking completely petrified. “Wimp,” She mumbled collapsing on the sofa next to the dog and tickled the top of his head. “God what a mess I get myself into,” She whispered closing her eyes and trying to block out the shouting from Jenny.

Yet again the names Man whore and boyfriend stealer were being branded around. She’d heard it all before, it wasn’t true then and she was pretty sure it wasn’t true now. Zack was single, he’d promised her it was over between him and Jenny, and it was a much needed separation the pair had been a big mistake. Sure he said Jenny hadn’t taken it so well when she realized quite what she was losing; a place to live, Zack’s money and fame. Though to go round the girl he was “seeing’s” house and scare the shit out of her, that was a sign she had taken the break up really really badly; or she’d got a screw lose.

She had never left Zack’s life really though, she was the very blonde, loud, elephant in the room.
Sarah turned the volume on the TV up and zoned out the shouting girl; she was slowly calming down and getting more incoherent. Though Sarah did her best to ignore it, watching the TV images flash in front of her. She couldn’t have told you what the TV show was, or what even was going on, all Sarah was thinking about was the girl outside her door and hopefully the man who would soon be removing her.

Sarah only realised how deep she’d been in thought when the girls shouting was accompanied by more male and female voices. Sarah got to her feet but hesitated to open the door and instead crept towards it and used the peep hole to view the scene. She could see a short blonde girl leant up against one wall throwing her hands up in the air every time she spoke. Opposite the girl was unmistakably Zacky, his voice was bellowing over everyone else’s. While towards the staircase of the apartment Brian and Rhian stood watching on every so often chipping in and trying to calm the pair down.

“We are not together anymore!” There was no mistaking the anger and hate in Zacky’s voice. “Leave me, my friends, my family and my fucking band alone!”

“I’m not going near any of them,” She slurred back, Sarah could now see the bottle by Brian’s feet she’d clearly been swigging from. “But her!”

“Leave Sarah alone, she’s fucking included in that!”

“Why shooold I?” She poked him hard in the chest. “You are fucking her,” She stumbled slightly as she tried to punch him in the chest this time.

“You are drunk Jenny, embarrassing yourself and likely to get the police called any minute,” Rhian spoke up as Zack had fallen silent and missed his cue to defend Sarah.

“You are aren’t you?” She ignored Rhian. “You whore you stole my boyfriend, my fucking fiance why couldn’t you just keep your hands off-“

That was it, Sarah lost her cool, knowing she wasn’t alone gave her that added confidence. She swung the door open and stormed through the door way squaring up to the shorter girl.

“How dare you come to my house and talk to me like that!” Jenny went to raise her hand to Sarah but Sarah ignored it not backing down. ”He left you because you loved his money and fame more than his personality and body!” Brian sniggered at the comment as Jenny just stared at Sarah blankly.

“Fuck you, he’s only with you cause he hasn’t got anyone else in his-“

“Whatever, get out of my apartment block and leave me alone before I call the police on you, or set my dog on you!”

Spike was still hidden behind the door starring out at his owner and the people surrounding her, but at the sound of his name the dog started barking. Sarah smiled as Jenny backed off from the tiny dog.

“As I said get out of my apartment block, get out of my life and leave us alone,” She repeated looking towards Brian and Rhian this time. “Can you?” She hoped they’d get the hint as she nodded her head towards Jenny before moving closer to Zacky and putting her hand slyly on the back of his arm to get his attention.

“Come on Jen,” Rhian muttered taking a firm grip of the other girls arm and pulling her gently but with meaningfully towards the stairs while Brian went in front to catch her if she fell. He turned to give Zack a knowing smile before leaving the pair alone.

“I’m sorry-“

“Come in, I wanna talk,” Zack just nodded as Sarah turned back into the flat going straight towards the kitchen. There was only one thing to make this better right now; a cup of tea. She pottered about in silence, hearing Zacky pull up a seat at the breakfast bar, she could feel his gaze settle on her.
“One sugar or two?”

“One,” He replied still watching her carefully. “Look Sarah I never meant to-“

“Zack please, I don’t want to hear it right now, I just want to say what I have to say and then you can do whatever you want with that,” She took in everything about him from the sharp green eyes that stole her attention every time he entered a room, to the bright colours of his tattoo that flashed through the unbuttoned shirt. He looked gorgeous, he always did in Sarah’s eyes, but today there was something else plaguing those gorgeous features.

“Go for it,” He spoke softly and almost with regret.

“Jenny turning up reminded me of how I felt when Louise found out about Cliff,” Zack nodded his fist tightening a little and his pulse increasing. “She called me every name under the sun, another girl today did the same and she was so full of hate and venom, she like Louise, must have really loved the guy,” Zack closed his eyes and shock his head; Jenny never loved him for being him, not like Sarah had. “I don’t want to always be labeled as a home wrecked, or whore, I don’t want to be harassed by men who already have someone nor do I want to fall in love with a man who has got all the excess baggage,”

“Everyone has excess bag-“ He paused as the words processed in his head. “Love the guy, you fucking love him?” Sarah starred at him blankly, not sure what he was hinting at. “You said fall in love with a man,” Zack added. “Shit I have enough baggage to fill an airplane, I’m well over the limit, but shit you love me?”

“I-I- shit,” Sarah whispered, she had it planned, she knew exactly what she wanted to say and he was ruining it for her. He was confusing her, putting words in her mouth and interpreting things she did not want to even think about. Zacky was making it hard.

“Do you love me?” He questioned again, his hand going out to run across hers.

“I-I I don’t not love you,” Sarah whispered. “Oh god I can’t do this, I had it all planned Zack, shit I was angry really angry with you, you weren’t meant to look so good and be so you!” She huffed making him crack a smile. “You weren’t to be so you, that’s why I freaking love you for being you!”

“You do!” He accused his voice falling a little as it sank in. Both of them fell silent this time. “You do?” He finally spoke letting the words just escape into the silence, Sarah looked up her eyes meeting with his and she gave the tiniest little nod of her head in response.

“Park 9am?”

“I’ll be there,” He smiled leaning over and pressing his lips softly against hers. Pulling back only once to whisper the words that sealed the deal.

“I’ll always be there, I love you too Sarah,”
♠ ♠ ♠
I lied there is ONE more chapter!! Sorry to mess with your emotions in such a way ;)
Thanks for reading, I do hope you enjoy!
ONE chapter left! ;) xx