A Dog's Life

Four

“No I’m ok seriously mum,” Sarah grumbled down the phone, her throat getting dryer by the second while the pounding in her head got louder and louder. She pointed towards the empty jug of water and gave Taylor a pleading smile. She just nodded picking the jug up disappearing out the room to re-fill it.

Taylor had been visiting Sarah most days since she’d woken up in the hospital, and kept answering the phone for her. Until today when Sarah’s mum had been extremely persistent and insisted if she did not get to speak to her daughter she’d visit instead. Sarah had nothing against her mum, but right now could not deal with being fussed over, prodded, hugged, poked, and surrounded. She needed time to recover and relax, not constant supervision.

Taylor was providing a watchful eye, without being annoying, that was fine for now. Taylor’s partner, Karl, had even been in when Taylor was at work to provide Sarah with much needed comedy entertainment, he also updated her on how Taylor’s new business venture was going and what he was up to at the moment. It was a welcome distraction from the pain she was in.

Her girls from the wedding store had paid a few visits as well, bringing cake and chocolate to raise a smile on Sarah’s face. Though her main concern was Spike, she missed the little dog, and even though Taylor had taken him in, she knew it wasn’t the same for the dog.

“Mum, they’ve said I can be out tomorrow, possible today if I’m super lucky, so I’m clearly getting much better,” Sarah took the glass Taylor passed her and took a sip. “I’ll phone you as soon as I get home,” She added. “No you don’t have to worry, Taylor said she’s gonna get some stuff in for me, and check on me,” Taylor gazed up as Sarah paused and noticed the pained expression cross her face. “No, I don’t want to deal with that now…we do speak…no it’s just Louise who doesn’t!”

“Sarah not now,” Taylor muttered, knowing this was a bad time for her friend to get wound up about her sister and Cliff. Sarah just nodded, trying to end the conversation with her mother and relaxing back into the bed when she finally put the phone down. “I’m gonna go to yours next then, I’ve frozen lots of meals for you, all healthy and yummy, plus Karl chucked a load of ice cream in your freezer,” Sarah smiled in response. “I’m gonna check the phone again for more calls, and get some bread and milk in, is there anything else you need?”

“A new arm?”

“No can do,” Taylor sighed getting and walking towards her friend. “You heard what the doctor said, you’ll make a full recovery but you need to rest first,”

“I can’t afford to rest,” Sarah grumbled.

“You’re getting sick pay from the wedding store, and I said any time you want me to take some dogs out I’ll do it,” Sarah just nodded, wanting to get off the conversation about her finances quickly, she knew opening the new business had meant Taylor was strapped for cash as well; she didn’t need Sarah’s issues shoved in her face.

“It’s all good, I’m just being silly, you couldn’t get me a bar of chocolate for the house?” She added a big smile to her request for good measure.

“Sure thing doll, everything will be ready, promise! Now you get some rest, and phone me if they let you escape this place ok?”

“Probably be this afternoon if they do,”

“No prob’s, Karl said he’d be around,” Sarah smiled, she was so grateful for all the help the couple had given her, she knew she couldn’t have dealt with everything the car crash had brought to her without their help. “Hopefully lunch is better than yesterday, catch you soon doll,”

“Thanks Taylor,” She said loud enough for Taylor to hear and realize the emotion behind the words.

“I owe you,”

“Don’t you worry, you focus on getting better, cause Spike wants his mum back! “ Sarah just laughed and watched Taylor wave goodbye and leave the ward. She leant back in her bed and closed her eyes, praying she could drift off for a bit. At the moment sleeping was limited, and when she did drift off she’d often get woken up by nightmares of the crash.

Though soon after Taylor had pulled away from the hospital Sarah had some peace, and relaxed back in the bed and found herself drifting easily off to sleep.

Since Sarah had been in hospital Taylor had been to the flat a few times. She’d collected clothes, books, and Sarah’s laptop so while she was lying around she at least had something to do. Taylor had listened to voicemail messages and on occasions had to phone potential customers back, explaining Sarah’s accident and that she’d be out for a few weeks.

Today was no different, as she stepped into the flat the phone was already ringing.

“Hello Sarah’s house?”

“Oh umm hey you’re not umm Sarah are you?” The man on the other end questioned almost stuttering over his words with the shock of Sarah not answering.

“No I’m not, she’s had a nasty accident and is in ho-“

“I know, I’m a well-“

“Are you a friend?” Taylor questioned leaning against the wall and gazing around the empty flat, a sleepy Spike was slowly getting out of his bed to come see her.

“Shit well I’m the man whose car she went into,”

“So not a friend,” Taylor spoke rolling her eyes. “Anything you want to talk about needs to go straight through her insurance people, Sarah does not need bothering with this!”

“No it’s umm nothing like that; the insurance shit is all covered, I just wanted to-“ There was shouting in the background, Taylor strained to hear what was being said but the man hushed them and turned his focus back to the phone. “Look I was worried about her, she seemed really scared and well, the nurses wouldn’t let us see her so I’ve kept umm phoning just to ya know,”

“Check on her?” Taylor questioned the babbling man.

“Yeah, yeah that, is she alright?” The concern was evident in his voice, it was quite cute really. The girly side of Taylor felt for him.

“She’s still in hospital, the rumor is they might let her out this afternoon,” Spike had made it to Taylor’s feet and was nuzzling her ankle waiting for attention.

“Ah fucking excellent,” Taylor smiled a little at his excitement. “Look can I give you my number?”

“Well I am engaged,”

“No not like that,” He panicked and Taylor couldn’t help but laugh.

“Sorry, of course, I can take a message,” She stifled her giggles, noting down Zacky’s number. “I’ll get her to phone you,”

“Thank’s umm-“

“Taylor, the best friend,”

“Got it, thanks Taylor, Zack the guy she crashed into,”

“Nice to talk to you Zack, now I need to go feed Spike, the dog,”

“Okay, well anyway thanks for that, see you around some time,” The phone line went dead, and Taylor hung up gazing down at the number in front of her.

“Well what d’ya know Spikey?!” She smiled kneeling down to the dogs level. “Sounds like your mummy’s got a new friend,”
♠ ♠ ♠
Super short update but important none the less! New story up for anyone who wants to read about some hot Finnish men.
Thanks to everyone who has recommended or commented on this story xxx