A Dog's Life

Five

“He’s coming round?” A squeal of excitement escaped Taylor as Sarah retold the whole story of phoning this Zacky guy back and him offering to come round.

“Yes but just I don’t know, he said he’d bring me magazines and shit, you know what people do when your recovering,” Sarah downplayed the event as much as possible to stop Taylor going over the top about everything and anything.

“I could of done that, hell that’s exactly what I have been doing girl!” Sarah smiled a little moving slightly as she tried to get comfy on the sofa, he back was starting to ache from all the sitting down and laying around she was being forced to do.

“I know, I know and I am more grateful than you will ever know, but it’s just nice to have a change of scenery,”

“Oh thanks!”

“Not like that,” Sarah was never going to win this argument. “I just meant meeting someone knew, getting to chat to someone else, instead of Spike is something I’m kinda looking forward to,”

“But you have the girls from the shop, the only fucking difference between me and him, is his dick-“ Sarah’s eyes flicked towards the intercom in her flat as the buzzer went twice. “Was that?”

“Yes, that was the door, he’s here and that means I’ve got to put the phone down on you,”

“Text me! Let me know everything,” Sarah rolled her eyes at Taylor. “Ya know just encase he’s a mass murder or something, just keeping you safe,”

“Well if he’s a mass murder I’m unlikely to let you know but ok, I’ll text you later!” The pair said their goodbyes and Sarah was the first to put the phone down on the excited Taylor. Anyone would think it was Taylor who had the date, visitor.

She might as well say gentlemen caller, and label herself a whore. Just to prove her sister right. Sarah pushed the thoughts to the back of her mind. The buzzer went again as she tried her hardest to not aggravate any healing wounds as she walked towards the intercom.

“Hey come on up, doors open,” She called down the phone pressing the button to open the door.

“Shit hi! Cool be right up,” Sarah smiled hearing his voice; he sounded happy and cheerful for once.

“Oh Sarah,”

“Yeah?”

“I can bring the dogs up right?” Sarah smiled and let out a little chuckle. She was sure she heard Zacky release the breath he’d been holding in far too long.

“Can’t wait to meet them!” She went back into the kitchen grabbing to glasses from the cupboard and then leaning down slowly to get the dog treats out. The knock on the door came seconds later, and Sarah carefully maneuvered herself around the flat to reach the front door, taking in one deep breath before opening the door slowly.

She wished she had taken a photo of the scene in front of her, it was worthy of a painting. He was gorgeous, a little taller than Sarah, with jet black emo styled hair falling over one eye. She bit her lip taking every inch of him in, tight black jeans, white shirt and black cardigan done up, the sleeves were rolled up to show off an impressive array of tattoos.

Though the open mouth gawking was cut short.

“ICHABOD!” The dog launched itself into Sarah’s apartment causing her to stumble back a fraction,

Zack’s hand was round her arm in a second holding her steady as he stepped in. Following him was a much more timid Chihuahua. “Shit you ok, Ichabod get here right now, the slightly larger dog appeared in front of Zack his ears pinned back and eyes wide. “I am so sorry,” Zack turned to Sarah shaking his head at the dog. “You alright?” Sarah nodded a small smile breaking on her lips, he was far more gorgeous than she ever remembered him to me.

“You make quite an entrance don’t you boy,” She smiled leaning over slowly to ruffle Ichabod’s ears. “Yes you do,” The dog instantly licked her hand, yapping excitedly as Sarah gestured for Zack to come in. “Can I get you a drink?”

“Err yeah great thanks,”

“Cold or hot?”

“Huh?” Zack stared blankly at her, she was far more beautiful than he remembered, if that was even possible. “Oh shit the drink, cold,” Sarah smiled a little.

“I can do soda, juice, or squash, oh or water?”

“Water,” Zack nodded as Sarah walked into the kitchen to grab two bottles of water.

“Take a seat,” Sarah called as Zack took in the room around him. If the room was anything to go by Sarah was a very interesting woman, she had a great sense of style and was clearly very artistic. With pretty photos and paintings that matched the mood of the room perfectly. A few sketch books lay closed across the coffee table, calling for Zack to gaze into them but he resisted and plonked himself down on the sofa, Ichabod instantly coming to rest by his lap as Foo Foo, slowly walked around the room. A yap from another dog startled the little Chihuahua and she instantly ran to hide behind the sofa. “Aww doll what’s wrong, it’s only mean old Spikey,” Sarah cooed going to bend down to Foo Foo’s level. “Hey you, what’s with this,” She spoke softly putting her hand out for the dog to smell, Zack watched in awe as the little Chihuahua that tended to drive him mad softened her temperament and went straight to Sarah for attention. “That’s it ducky,” Sarah whispered stroking the little dog gently. “What’s her name?” She questioned Zack looking up to meet his gaze, she had such soft and welcoming eyes, he could see instantly why animals, hell anyone, would get on with her.

“Foo Foo,”

“You are joking?” Sarah muttered shaking her head and stroking the little dog.

“After the Foo Fighters,” Zack added. “She was my ex-fiancees, I ended up with her,” Sarah nodded.

“She clearly didn’t or couldn’t take her for whatever stupid reason and I get lumbered with her, I mean god I tour it’s not as if-“ He paused realizing how awkward it had just become. “Sorry it’s still fresh,”

“That’s ok,” Sarah smiled slowly getting up and clearly wincing in pain.

“You ok?”

“Yeah just need to sit down for a bit, could you grab the drinks for me,” She added realising she’d left the bottles on the side with the glasses and the prospect of moving again was a little too much.

“Yeah sure, sit down doll,” Zack got the drinks straight away noticing that Sarah’s own dog was walking towards him cautiously. He gave a little bark before starring expectantly at Zack.

“He wants attention,” Sarah smiled watching Zack and Spike. “He needs to know he can trust you,” That dog did not trust easily, he had never liked any of Sarah’s past boyfriends, and he’d hated Cliff with a passion. It was funny how a dog could judge character so well. Sarah watched with interest as Zack tentatively stroked Spike, relaxing as the dog fell to the floor and gave Zacky the famous puppy dog eyes that begged for attention. “Attention whore,” Sarah chuckled as Zacky left Spike to get the drinks and brought them over to the sofa.

Zack smiled the dogs settling down and closing around their owners. Sarah looked better than she had in the car, but then that would not have been hard. There were still a number of bruises on her face, turning nasty yellow colour as they become older. Her arm was in a cast, and he noticed that her leg had a nasty cut that was covered in white tape and plastic dressings.

The one he did notice was her eyes, the were brighter, much brighter than they had been the day of the crash; they gave everything away. She was clearly getting better, however, there was something bothering her, and he knew he was right.

“So you’re feeling better?” Zack questioned sitting down with her.

“Oh I ache, and this is rather annoying,” She pointed to the cast with her one good arm. “They’ve got good drugs so I’m doing ok,”

“You look much better,” Zack suggested a smile on his lips. “You had Bri and I shit scared,”

“You didn’t show it, you guys helped me so much,” She gushed a smile breaking on her face. “I really owe both of you, maybe I can repay that sometime, I mean possibly food related or something,”

“Well Bri loves his food as you could tell,” Zacky smirked his eyes alight with humor, knowing if it was the other way round his bandmate would out rightly joke about his weight.

“Him and me both,” Sarah admitted taking a sip of her own squash. “My best friends a chef, opening her own restaurant, you have to check it out sometime,”

“Oh yeah where is she opening it?”

“Right on the sea front, she got really lucky, her bakery made a fortune, and her fiancée invested some of his hard earned cash into and she got this dream slot right on the front, it’s gonna be really exciting Latin American kinda food and feel to it, I’m so excited to go!”

“Wow sounds great, got a few mates who own some restaurants down there,” He added. “Have to take you some time,” Sarah nodded enthusiastically as it sunk in what he had actually said. “I mean ya know if ya wanna, I mean you like food, so you should check them out with me without me-“

“That would be fun,” Sarah smiled brightly, feeling glad it wasn’t her babbling on for once.

“I think I spoke to one of your friends,” He added taking a long sip of his water, and trying to play it cool. “Taylor, she answered the phone,”

“Yeah, she’s the chef, she umm ya know has been looking after me and stuff, running around,”

“I bet your sisters been doing the same?” He questioned, though wasn’t sure what to expect as an answer, the sister he’d met at the hospital had been somewhat hostile and rather odd when talking about Sarah.

Sarah’s eyes fell down to her lap, her hand going to Spike’s head and mindlessly petting the dog. She did not want to go into details about her relationship with Louise, particularly not with someone who was a complete stranger really.

“Sorry,”

“Huh,”

“None of my shit,” He replied with a soft smile, chewing on the two rings through his lips.

“It’s alright, sister stuff,”

“I get that, I have a brother whose a little shit sometimes,” Sarah just laughed as Zacky went on to explain his younger brother Matt who he clearly loved dearly, as well as his older sister and little niece. Sarah laughed at his little anecdotes and tales, it had been a long time since she’d laughed like this and felt so relaxed in someone’s company. Particular someone so sweet and gorgeous as Zack. His eyes would light up when he talked about something, like his family, which meant so much to him. Then his brows would knot when he spoke about something less palatable.

“Sorry Jenny?” Sarah questioned, she was sure his sisters name was Zina, she’d remembered it because it was such a pretty name. Zack visually cringed and leant back further in the sofa. Clearly Jenny was something special to him, his eyes light up but his eyebrows knotted.

“My ex,” Sarah nodded keeping a friendly smile on her lips, well at least it wasn’t a current girlfriend.
“Ex-fiancee,”

“Oh wow serious,” Sarah said without thinking, her hand flying over her mouth as soon as she said it.
“I didn’t mean-“

“Don’t worry, it was always a huge mistake, like a rebound girl that never quite went away,”

“You got engaged to your rebound?” Sarah had literally no filter on her words today. “I’m sorry that sounded a little harsh,”

“Eh I’ve heard worse, Niki, Brian’s girl, she literally tore me a new one when she found out I got engaged to Jenny, she hates her,” Zack groaned sounding particularly pissed off as he spoke about Jenny. Sarah just nodded and went along with his story telling, until he finally got bored of the topic of his ex and started questioning Sarah. She ending up admitting she was bored of sitting around doing nothing, and even that Spike was suffering from her injuries.

“I don’t mind honest,” Zack replied tickling Spike’s ears as he fell in front of Zack’s feet. “If Taylor is busy, and I’m going to the park anyway I might as well take him with me, hey boy?” He changed from talking to Sarah to talking to her dog.

“That’s a lot to ask though, a lot of-“

“You walk dogs for a living Sarah, let someone take the strain for once,” He nudged her shoulder gently a smile breaking on his lips. He did look amazing when he smiled, cheeky and youthful, with a bright glint in those gorgeous eyes. She watched as he brushed his jet black hair across his face and away from his eyes, still watching Sarah with a smile.

Though his smile faded when he caught sight of his watch.

“Shit, time passes when you’re having fun,” Zack chuckled, almost a little disappointed. “I’m sorry I’ve gotta get going,” He explained his afternoon plans, making Sarah chuckle as he mentioned his mom and the band rehearsals.

“Hey thank you for coming round today, it was nice,” Sarah said honestly.

“Anytime,” He smiled. “I mean anytime you want me, or if ya need anything, I’m not exactly busy at the moment,”

“Oh, you don’t work,”

“I’m in a band,” Sarah raised her eyebrows a little shocked. How was it that she was only now finding out she had a musician sat on her sofa? “We’re just started the writing process again,”

“Again?”

“Third album,”

“Oh wow that’s cool, better not take up too much of your time then,” Zacky just laughed and shock his head.

“Look I meant what I said about Spike, I’m more than happy to give him a run around, with these two,”

“Thank you, it would be the best thing ever, Taylor keeps saying it’s fine but she’s got loads to do!”

“Tomorrow I’ll pick him up, and if you need me to bring anything give me a text,” Sarah nodded her eyes falling on the post-it note with Zack’s home and mobile number scribbled on it.

“Thank you Zacky,” He smiled at her, the smile that probably made most girls drop to their knees for him. The goodbyes were awkward and Sarah had flashbacks to teenage dates, where no one was sure what to do. This wasn’t even a date, this was meeting new friends she told herself, feeling her cheeks blush bright red when Zacky flashed her that winning smile once again.

When he was finally gone, with promises of walking Spike tomorrow, there was only one thing Sarah wanted to do. She fired up her laptop and typed his name in Google.

“Let’s see how famous you are Mr Baker,” She bit her lip waiting for the results to return. 159,000 results returned . “Well, well, well,” Sarah’s eyes went wide as she clicked on the images. “Oh god, he was sat on my fucking sofa!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Turns out I'm writing 6 different stories at the moment, I need to stop having ideas!! xx