A Dog's Life

Seven

Sarah gazed at her appearance in the mirror, not recognizing the girl starring back. The bruises were covered with a good amount of concealer and foundation, the swelling was pretty much gone, and the small cuts on her head were healing nicely, she was able to hide one with her hair. For the first time in three weeks she’d put eyeliner, mascara and eyeshadow on, giving herself a sexy smokey eyed look. She’d even added a pretty red lipstick to match her bright red dress.

Her dress was gorgeous but a big problem. She’d got it on but actually zipping it up proved difficult with one arm in a cast. She had resigned herself to the fact that she’d need to ask her date Zack to help her. So instead of constantly worrying she’d got everything else ready, choosing a pair of gorgeous black flats as she knew she couldn’t manage heels yet, the cut on her leg still giving her trouble. Though tonight she’d decided she didn’t care what anyone thought, she was flashing her legs, well at least flashing them covered in thick black tights.

The buzzer in her flat went off and she took one last glance in the mirror, grabbing a perfume bottle from the side and spritzing herself; at least she’d smell gorgeous.

“Hey it’s open,” She said down the answer phone.

“Be right up!” Zacky answered as Sarah grabbed her phone, mints and purse from one bag and transferred them to her mini black clutch to go with her outfit. Zacky was at the door moments later.

“Evening!” Zack smiled his eyes bright as Sarah opened the door to let him. Her eyes went wide taking in everything about him, yes it was formal attire but she’d never quite imagined him out of jeans and a t-shirt. Now Zacky stood in front of her in a white shirt, with an adorable bright red bow, black dress trousers and a fitted blazer; he looked gorgeous. “Sarah, you look beautiful,” Zacky smiled, confidence oozing from him as he walked in and took her hand. “Spin,” He smirked holding her good arm up and letting her twirl around slowly. “Beautiful,” He repeated.

“Not too bad yourself!” Sarah laughed her finger tips reaching up to straighten the bow tie around his neck. “We match,”

“I love a woman in red!” He chuckled. “But you do realise your dress in mostly undone right?!” He said catching her before she turned round and reaching down to pull the zip up.

“Cast got in the way,” Sarah explained feeling his fingertips brush against the skin on her back, sending shivers straight up her spine.

“When does that thing come off?” He questioned, sounding a lot closer than Sarah expected, she could feel his breath on the back of her neck, as he lifted her hair out of the way of the zip.

“Few weeks yet,”

“That sucks,”

“Sure does,” Sarah replied with a little sign gazing down at the task.

“All done,” Zack dropped her hair down again, brushing it back off her shoulders so it all fell down her back. “So are you already then?”

“Sure am! Let’s get us some food!” Sarah said excitedly grabbing her clutch bag. “You realise this is my first trip out of the flat really!”

“Really?” Zacky questioned watching her grab her keys from the side and open the door for him to walk out. “Better make it special then!” He chuckled putting an arm over her shoulder as he guided her through the apartment block to the lift.

The restaurant took a mere 15 minutes to get too, and it was well worth the wait. The building was average, but Taylor had made the inside utterly gorgeous. Everything was tastefully decorated to invite the family in but warm enough to create a romantic vibe when needed. Tonight it was warm and inviting, but with streamers and glitter everywhere to give it that celebratory buzz. The restaurant was packed and as the waiter walked them to their table, Zacky kept his palm pressed against Sarah’s lower back. The comforting gesture woke up old feelings she’d been missing for a long time. Zack was charming tonight, he acted as if on a date, but maybe a third or fourth date where the couple were comfortable with each other but hadn’t gone the whole way. There was still an excited awkwardness about touching but a comfort when chatting to each other. Sarah was enjoying the company whole heartedly, and being out of the flat was an added bonus.
The waiter handed the pair menus, Sarah gazed over it and instantly recognised some well-known favorites that Taylor had perfected over the years. That included the spaghetti carbonara Taylor had tested on Sarah years ago when she got her first chef position.

“Bread platter, with dips,” The waiter appeared again placing the array of taster breads onto the table, olive oil and balsamic vinegar appeared in tiny little pots with grey hearts emblazoned on them. Everything was beautiful.

“This place is incredible,” Zack whistled, leaning back in his chair and gazing around, Sarah nodded in agreement. She’d already clocked Taylor’s fiance Karl doing the rounds, he was ever the show man, making friends with everyone and chatting to clients and investors, just to please Taylor. It was obvious how in love the couple were; they would do anything for one and other.

“It’s all Taylor,” Sarah explained gazing down at the menu, though she already knew what she was ordering. “She’s put her heart and soul into this,” Zack nodded taking a piece of the bread and dipping it into the olive oil.

“Shit this is amazing,” He muttered.

“Baking is her forte, she’s a brilliant baker, not to say her cooking isn’t incredible as well, but you know that’s where her love lies,”

“And what about you?” Zack questioned throwing Sarah. “Where does your love lie?”

“Huh?”

“Dog walking, or dress making?” He smiled sweetly at her, he’d decided already he wanted to know more about Sarah and she rarely gave that much away. Tonight was almost like a date; he could question and control the conversation to get more out of her.

“Dress making,” Sarah replied confidently, putting her hand over her wine glass as the waiter appeared. “Tablets,” She explained to Zack who was quizzically staring at the glass. “Could I get water?” The waiter nodded pouring Zacky’s wine and running off to get Sarah some water.

“When can you get back on it?” Zack mocked taking a sip of the red wine. Sarah counted on her finger tips trying to work out the weeks.

“I think it’s about three more, when the cast comes off I guess, but it’s not as if I’m taking anything really strong anymore,” The conversation continued to flow through a starter and main, both impeccable and showing off Taylor’s brilliant knowledge of food.

“So I guess you won’t need me soon then?” Zack questioned gazing down at his nearly empty plate.

Sarah looked up, though he was never going to make eye contact with her. Was he disappointed she was getting better? Did he actually want to spend time with her?

“I guess not,” Sarah sighed, letting her feelings get the better of her; she’d really enjoyed Zacky’s company in the mornings or afternoons. The car crash had been the bitter icing on the horrific cake of her life, it had finished everything off nicely; then Zack had appeared and she was almost thankful the car crash happened. Maybe she would have still met him when she walked his dog, but now they were actually hanging out and enjoying each other’s time. There was potential in this blossoming friendship; but was it all about to be over?

“You’ll start walking dogs again?”

“Not for a while yet, when the cast is off and I feel fit enough to run after the little buggers,” Sarah joked finishing her last mouthful of pasta and leaning back. The music in the restaurant stopped, and someone coughed down the microwave. Sarah gazed round noticing a make shift stage with Taylor standing on it, dressed in chef whites with a huge smile on her face. Sarah couldn’t be prouder of her best friend.

Taylor’s speech was heartwarming, her story of trials and tribulations that brought her to opening the restaurant. From humble beginnings, to opening the bakery, to growing her empire, to finally opening the restaurant. Karl got a mention, Taylor’s cookery school friends got honorable mentions, and then it was Sarah’s turn. She tried to keep the tears back but she had to shed a few littles ones as Taylor spoke about her rock, best friend and the only person who really ever believed in the dream from the very beginning. Sarah had seen it all, and she knew Taylor had worked her ass off for this place.

She was proud, like a parent on graduation. Her little girl had grown up and done it!

“You two have a hell of a bond,” Zacky smiled reaching over and squeezing Sarah’s hand, a completely friendly gesture that sent shivers up her spine.

“She’s my best friend, she got me through it all, and this year I’ve really needed her, more than she knows I reckon,”

“This year?”

“Cliff, and my sister,”

“Oh I get ya, I’ve totally taken advantage of friends after Jenny, shit she messed me up,” Zack continued to explain his ex-fiancée, he’d already had a few glasses of wine and it was clearly making him a little more open. Sarah bit down on her lip, the hurt and bitterness in Zack was awkward, she wasn’t sure what she could say to make him stop. His friends knew the situation; Sarah was in the dark and didn’t want to cause more problems by agreeing with Zack or disagreeing with the wrong thing.

Though as a small yawn escaped Sarah’s lips, completely by accident, Zack realised he’d taken up most of the conversation.

“Shit sorry I shouldn’t be chatting about my ex on a date,” He said causally as Sarah’s eyes widened a little, she wasn’t sure if she should be glad he realised the mistake or shocked that he called it a date. Not that dating him would be a bad thing but she was sure he wasn’t interested in her that way, Zack noticed her look and quickly corrected himself, feeling a complete idiot in front of Sarah.

“It’s ok,” She smiled sweetly taking another bite of the chocolate cake and almost moaning in delight.

“Do ya think Taylor will let me take the whole cake home?” She questioned changing the topic.

“Not if I ask first,” Zack smirked stealing a piece of her cake with a cheeky grin. “It’s fucking good,” He swallowed and gazed towards Sarah. “The whole night has been fucking good,”

“I agree,” She smiled putting her fork down and glancing towards the large clock. “I’ve really enjoyed being out of the flat, good food and good company, it’s been lovely,”

“To good company,” Zack replied chinking his wine glass with Sarah’s water. “I’m gonna miss our mornings,” He said simply, without much emotion, but his eyes gave him away. They showed a glimmer of sadness as their time came to an end.

Sarah bit her lip, gazing towards the man in front of her. She had lost a lot this year, and was starting to feel as if life couldn’t get much worse. Zack was a tiny glimmer of hope, a sign of a new start, or maybe of good things to come.

She was not quite ready to give up on that little glimmer just yet.

“I couldn’t promise anything but I’m always at the park you know central park, around 10am, I walk Spike early cause he’s not a big fan of the heat, every day like clockwork,”

Zack’s smile grew as he digested her words.

He knew where he’d be 9am tomorrow.
♠ ♠ ♠
[Url= http://www.polyvore.com/love_girl_in_red/set?id=93801721] Sarah's Outfit[/url]

Thanks to everyone who comments/recs/subscribes. So awesome you are enjoying it! xx