Status: New

Coffee Shop Soundtrack

One

Karen sat at her kitchen table, grading the last of her students' short stories. Last week they had covered mood pieces. She'd cut up little strips of paper and written things like happy, depressed, calm, tense. Then she'd put them all into one of her husband's old Orioles baseball caps, mixing them around so they would be random, and passed them around the classroom for each student to pick one to write about. She was just about finished with the last story when Scott walked in, swooping down to kiss her temple before grabbing a cup of coffee from the counter. She couldn't help but sneak a quick glance at him in his suit and tie.

Even underneath his clothes, his body looked trim and muscular. He had been something of an athlete all through high school and college. His favorite sport was baseball. While he'd been good at it, he was nowhere near professional league material. Not that he minded though. He was a businessman at heart and was proud of what he'd made of himself.

"Sorry I can't stay for breakfast, babe. I promised Mike I'd come in early today and help finish the report before the quarter ends." He frowned, the guilt gnawing the insides of his stomach. Karen only nodded, letting him know that it was okay. This hadn't been the first meal he'd had to skip with her. But she understood how much he was dedicated to his job and she admired him for that. It was just the late nights when he was caught up at the office and she was forced to sleep alone that she wished his hours weren't so crazy.

"It's fine," she assured him when he didn't say anything more.

"Karen," he doubted, but she shook her head. Pushing out her chair, she got to her feet and walked over to him, wrapping her arms around his waist. He set his coffee aside and looked down at her, sliding his hands down her back and stopping at her hips.

"Think of it this way," she purred. "The earlier you go in today, the earlier you can come home and we can celebrate."

Scott raised his brows at his wife and grinned. They had been married two years ago today. "How about I just call in sick and spend the whole day with you?" he said, pressing his forehead to hers.

She chuckled. "I have a job too you know!"

"Who cares?" he replied, getting carried away now. Even though he wished he could call Mike and tell him that he wasn't coming in today, he knew he couldn't. He lifted Karen's chin with his finger and kissed her, hoping that it was enough to make up for it.

"You better get going," she murmured, adjusting his tie as she pulled back.

"I'll see you tonight." He kissed her again, then downed the rest of his coffee before heading toward the door. "Love you!" he called to her.

"Love you too," she smiled back.

***


"Thank God it's seventh period!" Brenda moaned as she collapsed into a chair in the teachers' lounge. "I hate Mondays."

Karen shook her head at her co-worker and closest friend. Brenda often complained about long school days and grading tests and homework. She sounded worse than the students at times. Still, Karen appreciated her sense of humor and the fact that she was still single and always willing to share her recent weekend escapades.

"So tell me about Collin," Karen prompted, digging into her afternoon chicken salad. Out of the eight class periods in a day, this was her only free time to eat. She had more down time in the morning, but who ate lunch at ten o'clock? The idea was inconceivable.

"Oh he was…well…he took me to a club." Brenda hid her face in shame. Karen almost choked on a piece of chicken, laughing. "Shut up," Brenda laughed too, pretending to scowl at her.

"Did you get your freaky on?" Karen asked, still giggling.

"I am twenty-seven years old. I do not get my freaky on in public," she declared, but Karen sensed there was more she was holding back. "Fine," Brenda sighed. "I partied like a twenty-one year old and threw up on my shoes," she confessed. "That's the last time I date younger men."

Struggling to contain herself, Karen reached over and squeezed Brenda's hand for support. "You'll find someone for you eventually."

"How's Scott by the way? Still working a lot?"

Karen sat back and nodded. "It's our anniversary tonight. He's getting out early."

Brenda perked up at this. "You two doing anything special?" she wriggled her eyebrows and Karen knew exactly what she was getting at.

"He made dinner reservations for us and then we're—"

"Going home for some dessert?" Brenda cut her off, the same suggestive tone in her voice.

"You are a dirty bird, you know that?" Karen wagged her finger at Brenda.

"Well it's about time Scott ruffled up some of your feathers. I mean come on, how long has it been?" she countered. Karen looked down to her chicken salad, poking at it with her plastic fork. As much as she didn't like to think about it, Scott wasn't home a lot of the time. He left early in the morning, sparing just enough time to kiss her goodbye and maybe grab a slice of toast and a strip of bacon. And he usually worked late, sometimes coming in after she'd already gone off to bed. With his long hours and her stacks of papers to grade—along with the cooking and upkeep of the house—there was hardly any time for intimacy.

Karen glanced at her watch, thankful that the time had passed so quickly. "I've got class," she said and got up from the table. Brenda nodded, aware that the topic was making Karen uncomfortable.

"Have fun tonight."

Karen smiled, thought it felt more forced than genuine, and packed up the rest of her lunch. She'd have to finish it at her desk.
♠ ♠ ♠
new story, hope you like!
-Kelly x