Status: Active

Moonlight

chapter three

Coach Finstock asked the class if anybody had a quarter. Lana did but before she could hand it to him, Stiles rushed to get one for Coach Finstock. Instead of a quarter flying out of his pocket, however, the whole class focused their eyes on the XXL condom that went through the air. "Congratulations," Finstock smirked as he gave Stiles the condom back, taking the quarter. Coach then began to explain the day's lesson, risk and reward in the stock market, in relation to the game quarters.

Selene glanced over at Stiles, looking him up and down. Before listening to Finstock, she leaned over to Lana. "I am not risking having to do an essay on my first day just because I lost a stupid coin game."

“Me either,” Lana whispered back to Selene, who was sitting behind her. “Besides, who plays a drinking game without actually drinking?” she smirked. Coach Finstock cleared his throat.

“Lana Cross,” Finstock crossed his arms. “I remember you. I had you freshmen year and you were the only kid who aced all my tests. Now you’re quite the social butterfly, I see.”

“I remember you too, Coach Finstock,” Lana looked up at him, placing her elbows on her desk and clasping her hands together. “You were my favorite teacher before I left.”

“Well, since you seem to be quite the talker during my lessons,” Finstock grinned, “why don’t you step up and play? Danny did a pretty good job, think you can top it?”

“Actually, Coach,” Lana leaned forward a bit, “I was just telling my good friend Selene, that pretty girl sitting behind me, that I don’t believe in playing drinking games unless I’ve had a few drinks in me first. So why don’t you grab me that half full bottle of Captain Morgan that I know you keep in the bottom left cabinet of your desk,” Lana pointed to Finstock’s desk as she said this, “pour a little into that cup, and then pass it on over here so I can play.” The whole class went silent as Finstock’s eyes widened. Lana kept the perfect straight face with a genuine smile on it. No one knew how Finstock was going to react except for Lana, and she was right. Finstock broke out in laughter and held up a hand for Lana to high five. She did such.

“You don’t have to take the pop quiz or write the essay, Miss Cross,” Finstock pointed at her. “Neither does your friend. I like your thinking.”

Selene sat in her chair with an amused look on her face. "Thanks Coach Finstock," she leaned forward. "You know from what Lana has told me I think you'll be one of my favorite teachers here at Beacon Hills. I'm also a big fan of how you mock all your students."

“Don’t test your luck, kid,” Finstock smirked. “Who is next to play? McCall?” Scott declined the opportunity to play, since he didn’t think it was worth the risk, but then Stiles steps up to play. Just before Stiles can take his turn, his father showed up in the classroom.

Selene rolled her eyes at Finstock's remark and leaned towards Lana. "What do you think's happened?" Selene nodded at the door to Lana.

“I dunno,” Lana frowned, “but I’m sure we can find out. I bet there’s a police report online. We can do some research when we get home,” she winked. “I did, however, overhear Scott telling Stiles that they’d all be meeting up at the Animal Clinic tonight to try to see what we’re up to. I doubt they’ll figure out anything that could help them, but we should do some eavesdropping,” Lana suggested with a mischievous look in her eyes.

Selene smirked and glanced over at Scott, who was too busy listening to what was happening outside to hear the two girls plan. "Sounds like fun, don't underestimate the vet though, apparently he's a specialist in the supernatural." Selene looked at the clock. "Class is almost over; we should keep an eye on them and find out when they're meeting up."

“That’s exactly what I was thinking,” Lana beamed. The bell rang for class and the two of them stayed close behind Scott. “So I’ve heard. But we can get around it. There’s got to be a window in the back room or something that we can use. We’ll have to scale the place out after school, I’ll drive by with you and we can check the place out.”

"Wait, we didn't take some Heather chick," Selene whispered to Lana as they listened to the boys’ conversation. "I think they're meeting up right after school."

“Oh my god, I bet that Heather chick is what Stiles’ dad came to talk to him about,” Lana realized. “Wasn’t there a party the other night a town over? Holy shit,” she whispered. “We only have a few more periods left. We’ll book it for the vet’s after this, but we’ll have to park far away.”

Selene nodded. "Alright, I'll text Aiden and Ethan not to wait up for us at the end of the day. I'd keep an eye on those two other girls though; apparently they're marked with the bank logo."

“Allison is still pretty close to Scott, too,” Lana noted. “I saw them headed towards the library and I think Ethan and Aiden have free period right now. Tell them to get there and keep an eye on her and the redhead.”

Selene nodded and pulled out her phone and texted Aiden. "The last thing we need is Argent's kid finding out," Selene said, putting her phone back in her bag. "Although if it meant getting rid of her I'd be fine with that."

“Wouldn’t we all?” Lana asked rhetorically. “Even if they don’t get there right after school, it’ll be good to stake out and keep an eye on the place for when they do show up. Shit, if you want, we can even go in and I can ask him if he’s seen my lost, nonexistent cat so we can get a feel of the place.”

"Sounds like a plan!" Selene laughed as they walked to their next class. Right after the last period bell rang, Lana and Selene went to the library and printed up a random picture of a cat that they found on some animal shelter in Florida’s website; they figured if they used a picture from Google it would be too obvious. They put ‘MISSING’ on top of the picture and underneath, a random reward with a fake phone number were listed.

“Perfect,” Lana smiled as the picture printed. “Come on, let’s head over there.” They went straight from the library to Lana’s car, driving off towards the Animal Clinic. She parked in front since they would be scoping out the front of the building first and were inquiring about a not really lost animal.

"We should check inside first," Selene noted as they stepped out Lana's car. "It will probably be easier to have a look at the rooms and see what window match what room."

“I’ll keep the vet distracted,” Lana locked her car. “While I’m putting on the waterworks, you just casually look around and try to peek in the back without being too obvious. Let me start crying in three, two, one,” Lana took a deep breath, forcing herself to start crying. She felt tears begin to well up in her eyes; the whole time she was thinking of how she couldn’t find Isaac. The whole day at school she was trying unbelievably hard to not have a mental breakdown over the fact that she couldn’t find him but he was the beta and probably a target of Deucalion’s. After a moment, she didn’t have to make herself cry anymore; they came naturally as she thought more of Isaac. “Let’s get in there.”

Selene nodded as she opened the door to the Animal Clinic; as they walked in they saw that the vet was nowhere in sight. "Hello?" Selene called out walking forward and placed her hands on the gate to look into the rooms; however as soon as she touched it Selene took them off immediately; the gates had gently burned her. She winced in pain as she stared at her hands before looking at Lana, confused.

“Probably wolf-proof?” Lana mouthed with a shrug before crying more loudly. “Hello?” she called, and at the sound of her crying Dr. Deaton came out from the back room. “Are you the veterinarian here?”

“Yes, Doctor Deaton. How can I help you? Is everything okay?” he rushed to Lana. Lana shook her head, wiping her eyes of more tears and ignoring the fact that she was getting her eyeliner and mascara all over her cheeks and palms.

“It’s my cat, Simba. He’s been missing for two months now and I haven’t even heard from anyone finding him. I was wondering if maybe someone saw him and brought him here not realizing that he was missing.”

“I do have a few cats in the back that people bring in off the streets that are dying,” Dr. Deaton placed a hand on her shoulder. “Just take a deep breath, okay? Did he have a collar?”

“No,” Lana shook her head, sniffling. “He was an indoor cat, I never let him out, but I had a party one night and he must have slipped out when a lot of people were coming in. I thought I had kept him in my bedroom with the door closed but he’s a sneaky little thing, he’s opened doors before. But I never put a collar on him because I never let him out.”

Selene watched Lana distract Doctor Deaton before glancing back at the gate; she didn't understand why it was affecting her if it was wolf-proof. She walked up to it again, not as closely this time and looked at the rooms. The main operating room clearly was what caught her eye as she tried to get a full look at it. The room was lined with several windows plus was big enough to perform whatever Dr. Deaton has planned; Selene stared at the bath in the middle of the room before turning to Lana. "Wrap it up," she mouthed before walking back over to Lana and Deaton.

Lana showed Deaton the picture of the cat they had printed up. Deaton shook his head. “I haven’t seen that one, but I’ll keep his picture out here just in case he turns up, alright?” Dr. Deaton smiled at Lana. She nodded with a sniffle.

“Thank you, Dr. Deaton. Just give the phone number on there a call if you see him,” she shook his hand. “Come on, sis, we should be heading home,” she called to Selene.

Selene said her thanks to Deaton before following Lana out. Once outside she grinned at Lana. "Good job 'sis,' that was perfect!"

"I know," Lana smirked. As she sat in the driver's side, she took a compact mirror out of her bag and adjusted her makeup. "I figured we could park out in the park by the woods and then just walk over; I know a shortcut to get here from there."

"They're going to be using the main room in the back of the building," Selene told Lana. "It's the biggest room there so that's the obvious choice, it's lined with windows on the wall across from the entrance which means we'll have to be careful not to get seen. There was a bath placed in the middle of the room... I think I know what they're going to do."

"At least we'll be able to see pretty easily," Lana pointed out as she drove them to the park. "We just have to be careful."

Selene nodded. "They're going to use hypnosis," she muttered, "that's what the bath is for. It's an old technique, I remember reading about it. The bath will get filled with ice so that Isaac will go into a subconscious state which will allow them to access his memories better, the only thing about the ice bath is that his heart's going to be so slow, meaning they can't afford to do this wrong."

Lana's eyes widened and her hands gripped the wheel a bit tighter, but she hoped Selene didn't notice. "So they'll have him remember what Deucalion made him forget," she covered; while that was a concern, she was more worried about him dying before she even got to him. "Damn it, we're screwed!"

Selene looked over at Lana. "Not necessarily; you remember that we have two werewolves who haven't shifted for three full moons locked up in there waiting for them." She leaned back into her seat. "Think of it like the gladiators and the lions in Rome."

"I know that," Lana pulled into the parking lot of the park by the woods. "But we can't underestimate them, Selene. We don't know how prepared they are. Underestimation is what caused half of my family's hunting squad to get mauled and killed by a few betas. Safe to say we all learned a lesson that night," she reminded Selene.

"The full moon is tomorrow," Selene stated. "Even if they found out about the bank tonight, they don't have enough time to come up with a successful fool-proof plan. They might get into the bank but those betas will tear them apart, plus the vault's lined with mountain ash so the only thing we have to worry about is that getting broken, which I doubt will happen."

"Selene, this bank has been robbed so many times," Lana sighed. "I don't think you get it. They're much cleverer than you think and any idiot can go on Google to see how people robbed this bank before. It'll be pretty difficult for them to get in, but it's not fool-proof. We can't underestimate them at all."

"Fine, let's just focus on tonight and worry about tomorrow after we're done here," Selene sighed, looking at Lana. "Let the waiting begin."