Status: Active

Moonlight

chapter four

Selene and Lana must have waited four hours and they still had no sign of the boys. Even better was that it started raining, and the girls were without an umbrella. Lana was just grateful that she had a hood on her jacket. “Dude, I’m starving,” she looked to Selene. “Want me to go grab us some dinner? There’s an In-n-Out, Jack in the Box and Carl’s Jr. right down the road.”

"Yes please, food sounds so good right now," Selene smiled at Lana. "Here, I’ll give you money to cover my half," she said whist digging through her bag for her purse.

“I’ve been craving a good burger for like, a week,” Lana laughed. Just as Selene pulled her money out, Lana turned her attention to the front of the Animal Clinic. “Oh, shit! They’re here. Of course,” Lana rolled her eyes. “This better not take long.” They tried to get a peek of Scott, Stiles, Derek and Isaac entering the building. Lana was desperate for a glimpse of Isaac, anxiously waiting for them to all enter the back room. Her eyes widened when she finally saw Isaac. He had grown a few inches since she last saw him, and his hair was shorter and more groomed. It still retained its curl, though, which was something she always loved about him. His jawline had become more defined over the years, and his eyes still shone the same shade of light blue that she remembered. He had more muscle to him now, probably with help from Derek and now being a werewolf, and she could tell immediately that he was nervous to undergo this procedure of sorts. He was still the Isaac she knew and loved and it hit her like a ton of bricks. She desperately wanted to kick in the window that she was looking through and to burst in, to run to him and hold him and cry his name. It took everything in her to not say anything, especially to Selene, so instead she just bit her bottom lip and kept her mouth shut.

They watched as the boys began to fill the bath with ice while Deaton informed Isaac about what was going on. "You okay Lana?" Selene looked at her friend. "You seem worried."

"Oh yeah," Lana smiled. "Just hungry," she covered. The last thing on Lana's mind right now, however, was eating. Her whole life she made sure Isaac was okay, between having police investigate his home only to fail and them not take her seriously and to them holding each other at night when they were lonely and scared, and the thought of him potentially dying in front of her right now was clouding her mind. If Deaton, Scott and Derek failed, she wasn't sure how she would react.

Selene nodded and pushed some of her hair away from her face. The two of them were soaked from standing out in the rain. "Looks like they're starting," Selene pointed out just as Isaac took off his shirt. "Damn," Selene stated.

Lana glanced at Selene as she noted Isaac's physique. As his shirt came off and he stared at the tub, anxious to go in, Lana let out a quiet, low whistle, her eyes fixated on him. Her Isaac was all grown up, and he had done such quite well, too. After Selene's comment, Lana felt a sense of overprotection over Isaac; no way was she going to let anyone else get a hold of him before her. She had worked way too hard. Lana kept all of this to herself; as much as she wanted to snarl a "back off" at Selene, she knew she couldn't. Instead, she decided on the comedic route. "I call dibs on that one," she winked with a sly smile.

Selene paused; watching Isaac somehow triggered past events for her. It was like she was sixteen again, only her memories didn't include an ice bath or any one of the people around her. "He's all yours," Selene said softly before smiling at Lana. "I am the only one feeling slightly like Magenta and Columbia?"

"More, more, more," Lana said in the style of Magenta and Colombia as she watched Isaac get into the ice bath. "I was hoping he'd take his pants off too. Too bad," she frowned with a pout. Joking was all she could do to keep herself from going insane and running into the animal clinic. Internally, she was screaming and crying in fear.

"They're holding him wrong," Selene said to Lana, frowning as they watched them struggling to hold Isaac underwater. "If they want to keep him down they should hold down his chest, not his shoulders.”

Lana's internal panic attack only got worse when Selene said that. She honestly didn't know how to respond until they had Isaac underneath. His head came up, his eyes gold and fangs sharp, but they ducked him back under and managed to keep him there. "Looks like they figured that out by trial and error," Lana remarked.

Selene nodded as they watched them. Everything went silent as Isaac stopped moving. The girls watched as his face emerged from underwater. "Alright Deaton," Selene said, "let's see what you got."

Isaac was submerged for what felt like forever to Lana; all she could think about what the risk that he may not come up alive. As Derek began trying to force the memories to come, Lana's concern grew until they got Isaac out of the tub. She was relieved to see him alive and watched them grab him towels as he recalled his formerly lost memories.

"Well that was interesting," Selene said, shivering due to being cold and wet from the rain. They watched as the group started planning for tomorrow. “Do we have to stick around for this or can we get the hell out of here?" she asked, wanting to get out of the damned rain.

Lana lingered for a slight second to look at Isaac, still not taking her eyes off of him. "Yeah, let’s go. We're stopping at the first food place I can find," she nodded. She and Selene carefully made their way away from the animal clinic, and Lana kept glancing back in hopes of seeing him. Part of her hoped he saw her, too, but she knew it wouldn't happen and even if it did then it wouldn't be good for them this way. Lana zipped up her leather jacket and pulled the hood tighter over her head as they cut through the woods to get to the park.

Selene envied Lana as the two walked through the woods; out of the two of them, Lana was definitely better dressed for the current situation. "I just want to get food and then get home as fast as possible," Selene shivered again, walking faster.

"I feel ya," Lana agreed. "My jeans are soaked." Once they could see the parking lot, they ran towards Lana's car. She took her keys out of her pocket and unlocked it as they started to reach it and she started the car immediately, putting the heat on so they could dry off easier. Once Lana's seatbelt was buckled she pulled out of the parking lot and into the nearest drive-thru fast food joint. Once they had their food she booked it for their apartment, the two of them starting to eat in the car, and they were both grateful to finally be home. "I can't wait to take these stupid pants off," Lana laughed and took another bite of her half eaten burger. She kicked off her boots and, holding her bag of food in one hand and her burger in her mouth, started to unzip her pants to get her wet jeans off. Before she could, however, she looked ahead and saw the twins sitting on their couch, eyeing her and Selene. Lana grabbed the burger from out of her mouth. "Jesus Christ, you guys," she muttered.

"What the hell are you two doing here?" Selene asked the twins. The only thing on the girls’ minds were eating and getting out of their wet clothes, which Selene wanted nothing more due to her dress clinging to her like it second skin.

"We were driving by and noticed that one of your cars was missing from the lot," Aiden spoke up. "So we figured we'd check on you for Deucalion. Where the hell have you two been?!"

"I am not speaking to you until I'm in sweatpants and moved on to my fries," Lana rolled her eyes at them as she headed for her room. "Selene and I live here. Selene and I. Just the two of us. I should be able to take my pants off in my living room if I want to," she called to them as she changed, not bothering to close the door.

Selene smiled at Lana's remark before looking back at Aiden. "We were at the vet’s, okay? Geez, it's not a big deal," Selene stated before walking past them and into her room to get changed.

Lana walked out with the bag of her trash in one hand and her fries in the other. She was much more comfortable now in baggy sweatpants and a t-shirt. "For real guys, you should be thanking us," she popped a fry in her mouth as she headed to the kitchen. She grabbed a water bottle and slumped into one of the chairs in their living room. "We were spying on Derek and his little friends as they went to Deaton's and almost kissed Isaac to get him to recover his memories or whatever," she shrugged as she picked at her fries.

"Lana, aren't you the epitome of a lady?" Ethan teased her with a wink. She just laughed.

"Shut up. My apartment, remember what I just said?" she grinned and threw a fry at Ethan. Ethan opened his mouth and caught it with his teeth, getting a few giggles out of Lana and Aiden.

Selene joined them soon after, swapping her dress for an oversized t-shirt and pajama shorts, although you couldn't actually see the shorts. "So how long have you two been here?" Selene asked, getting a bottle of water herself and sitting in the chair next to Lana's.

"Two hours, now?" Aiden estimated.

Ethan nodded. "Yeah, sounds about right."

"We really need to tell your dad he needs to start hiding that spare key," Lana looked over to Selene. "Can't even go pants-less in my own apartment. Ridiculous," she shook her head.

Selene nodded in agreement to Lana. "I'll tell him tomorrow." Selene looked over to the twins. "You two seriously waited for two hours?"

“Well, yeah,” Aiden shrugged as if it were no big deal. “After half-an-hour, I- we,” he quickly corrected himself, “got really worried and figured we’d stick around. Ethan texted you, Lana, but you didn’t answer.”

“Ah, shit,” Lana grabbed her phone; she had stuck it in her bra since her sweatpants didn’t have pockets.

“I told you she was quite the lady,” Ethan chuckled. Lana threw another fry at him, which he also caught with his teeth.

“Sorry, Ethan. I didn’t mean to ignore you. We were a little busy playing Nancy Drew.”

“Well, we were scared you two were hurt,” Aiden sat back into the couch.

Selene smiled at Aiden. "Well that was really sweet of you two," she glanced at Ethan at the end. "Everything was fine though, apart from the rain."

“You sure it was fine?” Ethan questioned, leaning forward. “Lana’s heartbeat is really irregular right now and totally isn’t pairing up with how composed she’s presenting herself.”

“What?” Lana shook her head with a smile on her face, taking a sip of her water. “Maybe it’s because I almost took my pants off without realizing there were people other than my roommate in my apartment? You guys startled the hell out of me.”

“Selene’s is normal,” Ethan countered. “It’s a little quick but nothing out of the ordinary. It usually is. Yours, however,” Ethan winked, “is all over the place.”

“Probably because she wasn’t taking off her pants?” Lana suggested with a shrug. Ethan was right, though; Isaac was still on her mind. She was glad that he was okay and was just glad to have seen him, even though she couldn’t have talked to him.

"She's got a point there," Selene stated to Ethan before looking over at Lana. Selene knew there was something off about Lana ever since they had arrived at Beacon Hills; Selene just thought it was about the guy Lana was obsessed with finding. Selene referred to him as ‘blue eyes’ since Lana had never mentioned a name.

“Thank you,” Lana laughed. “Someone’s on my side for once, my god,” she looked over to Ethan, who made eye contact with Lana. She saw in his eyes that he knew she was lying.

“I have my theories, still,” Ethan concluded.

"It seems like you’re the one playing Nancy Drew now, Ethan," Selene laughed.

At that, Aiden’s phone began to ring. “It’s Deucalion,” he frowned. “We should be getting back. We’ve been gone a while.” Aiden glanced at Selene as he grabbed his coat.

Selene frowned slightly, not wanting them to leave. "Okay then." She stood up to walk the boys out. "Well, thank you for looking out for us!"

“Any time,” they smiled, Aiden’s glance still lingering on Selene as they left.