Status: Active

Moonlight

chapter seven

The next morning as Selene woke and up got ready for school, she hoped Lana wasn't mad at her after what happened last night. She walked through to the kitchen to find Lana already there. "I'm sorry about last night," Selene apologized to her.

“Don’t worry about it,” Lana smiled, passing Selene a plate of pancakes. Lana felt awful about it, too; it was clearly rough territory for Selene. “So I know this is a morbid topic to talk about this early in the morning,” Lana began, “but you’ve heard about those murders with the people like, strangled and tied to a tree, right?”

Selene looked up from her pancakes to Lana. "Wow, you really know how to start the day. But yes I have heard of them, why?" Selene asked, going back to eating her pancakes.

“I figured the pancakes would lighten the load of this conversation,” Lana shrugged. “But, I was watching the news last night and, you know me, never satisfied with the information given. So I started doing some research, y’know, on Facebook and Twitter and I figured it out. The deaths aren’t random after all,” she eyed Selene. “All three of them were virgins and were killed in a very threefold death kind of way. Virgin sacrifices,” Lana concluded and pointed her fork at herself. “I’m terrified!”

"This town, I swear to god..." Selene stated while processing everything that Lana just said. "Well at least my ass is safe," she smiled to her herself before looking back to Lana. "Wait… You're a virgin?"

“Oh, great, well at least that makes one of us,” Lana sighed to herself. “Yeah, I am. So we better hope that this actually is a threefold death and that this psychopath isn’t going around looking for more victims, specifically me!”

Selene rolled her eyes. "Come on Lana, like me or the boys will let anything happen to your innocent little ass," Selene snickered while finishing her pancakes and checking her phone. "Speaking of the boys, we should probably head for school."

Lana grabbed her keys and slung her backpack over her shoulder. "You guys better not, or I swear to god I will come back from my grave and kill your sorry asses," she rolled her eyes. "I'm kind of freaking out; I didn't know people still took virgin sacrifices after the 1100s!"

"And I didn't think this town could get weirder but it looks like we're both wrong," Selene said locking their door. "Are you driving today or am I?"

"I'll drive," Lana shrugged, "My tank's as good as full. For real though, my future children will not be growing up in this town," Lana laughed nervously. "Too much crazy shit."

"Ah, my little niece or nephews," Selene joked as they got into Lana's car. "But yes I agree with you, I am not raising a family in this town, at least not without the Winchesters on speed dial."

"I just wish I could have figured out who was killing those people," Lana pouted. "But at least we know the motive and that it is definitely not just some random human." As they pulled up into the school parking lot, Lana and Selene met up with the twins who were at their bikes.

Selene nodded. "Morning boys," she greeted the twins as she and Lana approached them.

"Good morning, ladies," Ethan smiled at them as Aiden nodded with a wave. "Did you hear about the bodies?"

"They're virgin sacrifices, actually," Lana corrected.

"How do you know?" Aiden tested.

"I did some research. Get on my level," Lana winked.

"Lana's worried she's going to be the next victim," Selene told them, before covering her mouth looking at Lana. "I'm sorry!"

Lana glared at Selene. "I hate you so much."

"Whoa!" Aiden exclaimed. "Did I hear that correctly?!"

Selene used Aiden as a shield from Lana. "It was an accident!"

"Is Lana Banana a virgin?" Ethan ruffled her hair.

Lana groaned. "Yes! Okay? I am! Shall I tattoo it on my forehead? I'm glad you guys find my life at risk something worth laughing at."

Selene smiled. "Come on Lana, it's like I said earlier, we're not going to let anyone kill you. Right, boys?"

"How are you a virgin?" Ethan asked, shocked. "What about that guy you told us about?"

"Actually, y'know what, let the killer take me, it's better than the embarrassment," Lana rolled her eyes.

"I don't think they've met up yet," Selene told Ethan, now standing between him and Aiden. "Unless it was him you were texting last night!"

Lana blushed, pursing her lips as her eyes widened. "We have more important issues than who I'm texting," Lana responded.

Selene grinned "It was, wasn't it!?"

"Maybe!" Lana shrugged, swapping books at her locker. "There are people getting bludgeoned, asphyxiated and hung from trees simultaneously and you're more concerned about who I'm texting? Really?"

"Asphyxiated?" Aiden cocked his head.

"Strangled," Lana sighed. "Sorry, Aiden, I'll try not to use big words next time," she teased him.

Selene patted Aiden’s arm sympathetically before getting her own books out. "Let's not forget that these people are getting bludgeoned, strangled, and hung as a sacrifice."

"And they probably are still going after people," Lana reminded. "Like me."

"Then text Blue Eyes and do the deed," Selene suggested to Lana.

"I might just," Lana retorted.

"Blue eyes, huh?" Aiden teased. "Ethan, who do we know with blue eyes?"

"Aiden, I don't even know who Blue Eyes is, I doubt the two of you will know," Selene stated.

"Does he play any sports?" Ethan asked.

"I'm not telling you anything," Lana rolled her eyes as they stepped into class. It was Isaac's first day, now that he was out of the hospital, and she looked over to where she usually sat only to see Isaac occupying the seat that was normally empty to the right of hers. He was focused on organizing his papers while she walked in with Selene, so when he heard her sit next to him he looked over and could only smile. She glanced at him as she took out her books; the two of them didn't need words to have a conversation. Their eyes said it all as Lana continued speaking to Selene. "I can't believe those two sometimes, I swear," she laughed.

Selene rolled her eyes. "Trust me, it was worse before you joined us," she said while taking out her own books. "Except it wasn't teasing, it was over protectiveness."

"I can only imagine," Lana smirked as class began; she and Isaac were still glancing towards one another, each stare followed by a smile.

The class had surprisingly gone by quite quickly for Lana and Selene as they walked to their next class, crossing paths with the twins. "Where are you guys off to?" Selene asked.
"Cross Country practice," Ethan gestured at their gym bags.

“Hey you'll be with Lana's old bro Finstock!" Selene smiled looking at Lana, who also grinned.

"Did you just say they're bros?" Aiden raised an eyebrow.

"I know what he drinks and where he keeps it," Lana winked, "plus I used to ace all his tests without really trying. I think I'm the only student he likes. Have fun at practice, guys!"

"I have a question," Selene looked at Lana as they went to class. "Were you friends with the Lahey kid before you moved? Because he was looking at you a lot throughout that class."

Lana still wasn't quite ready to tell Selene that she was more than friends with 'that Lahey kid.' She hated lying to Selene but it had to be done. "I knew him," she shrugged. "We weren't like close or anything. Like I said the other day, he was always so quiet. Maybe he remembers me and thinks I'm pretty," Lana smirked.

"Lana Banana has an admirer," Selene laughed, nudging Lana's side. "Shame he's a beta, though."

"A shame indeed," Lana bit her bottom lip. If only Selene knew.

"I'm still trying to wrap my head around these virgin sacrifices," Selene said to Lana as they walked through the halls. "I thought this town was just werewolves... apart from the Kanima, but he's a werewolf now and in London. So obviously something new apart from us has come to town."

“Sacrifices aren’t just killings, they’re gifts to gods and other holy beings,” Lana reminded Selene. “The sacrifice is sacred and that’s why it’s given to the gods, but what is this person sacrificing people for? And who are they sacrificing them to?”

"Maybe it's necessary, maybe something coming that needs the sacrifices to happen." Selene paused and looked at Lana. "Do you think that this could also be linked to the birds? Because I doubt that was just some random event."

“It probably is necessary,” Lana agreed, “and probably linked to the birds, but who is the god that they’re being sacrificed to? You could even say that they’re being given to. I read so much on mythology and sacrifices growing up and it isn’t completely making sense,” Lana ran her fingers through her hair. “There are so many pieces missing. My guess is that if there are more killings, they won’t be virgins,” Lana predicted. “Whoever this killer is, they’re going to move on to something else. Sacrificing just virgins would be too predictable and they’re probably smarter than that.”

"Then they're probably going to be in threes," Selene stated. "You know what they say; everything happens in threes."

“Virgins are typically picked due to their association with purity,” Lana tried to piece it together as the two girls headed to the library during their free period, “therefore deeming them sacred. What else would be considered sacred that we have plenty of in this town?” The two girls entered the library, checking in and then finding a table to sit at. Lana took out a notebook and turned to the last page in it. She began to write a bullet-pointed list, beginning with virgins. Lana began thinking of different categories that people could fall under and began writing them all down in another bullet list a few lines below the one with virgins in it. She wrote words that could describe anybody in Beacon Hills: doctors, teachers, police officers, students, military, blondes, brunettes, redheads, firefighters, mall employees; the list went on and on. Lana filled the page and even made a second column of different professions and descriptions. Lana then grabbed a few highlighters out of her bag and swapped her pencil for one of the highlighters, popping the cap off of it and highlighting the word doctors.

Selene looked at Lana, surprised at how much she thought this out. "Damn, Hermione." She took the notebook from Lana to look at. "I think you’re right about doctors though, the hospital is huge here."

Lana chuckled as she then highlighted nurses and veterinarians the same color. “I’m not done. I’m putting these categories into sub-categories so we can figure out who might be targeted next.” After scanning the list a few more times, Lana put the cap back on the pink highlighter and reached for the blue one. With that one, she highlighted police officers, firefighters, military, detectives and lawyers.

Selene looked at list. "The ones in blue, you could say they're like the protectors of the town," Selene noted, picking up a pen. "Pink would be what, Medics?" She started to write the subcategories.

Lana nodded and then picked up the yellow highlighter. She highlighted teachers first, hesitating to put the highlighter back to the page. “I still feel like we’re missing things. People could fit into multiple categories. But it’s a start.”

"You’re right, there's too much here for it to be restricted to just one category," Selene sighed and looked at Lana. "As bad as it sounds, we've got to wait for more people to die to figure this out."

Lana added Medics and Protectors to the list with Virgins on it, but they had question marks next to them. She ran her hands through her hair again, resting it at the top of her head to keep her hair out of her face. “You’re right,” she frowned. At that, Lana felt her phone in her pocket buzz: it was a text from Isaac. ‘They found a body at xc practice. Same way the others were killed.’ She responded to him asking who it was, and as she hit send she got a text from Ethan that Selene had also received. He had told them the same thing Isaac just told her. “I don’t think we’ll have to wait for very long, though.”

Selene looked up from her phone and nodded. "It looks like news is spreading," she said, looking around the library at all of the other students who have clearly been told the same thing.

Lana pouted. “This has trouble written all over it.” As their free period ended, the girls grabbed their bags and headed to their next class, chemistry with Harris. “I hate chem,” Lana groaned.

"Same, that's why I'm skipping it," Selene smiled at Lana. "I'm meeting up with the boys."

“Alpha stuff?” Lana whispered with a wink. “Don’t have too much fun without me. Pray for my sanity,” she sighed as they got closer to the door.

Selene laughed. "It might be more babysitting, but thanks. Have fun learning babe," she waved at Lana as she leaned against the lockers, waiting for the twins.

Isaac and Lana shared this class in common too, but Scott was also there. Scott sat behind Isaac; the two of them looked up at Lana as she walked in without Selene. Isaac smiled at her and she smiled back, not maintaining eye contact for long with him because she knew that they had an audience. She sat three seats over from Isaac; far enough for them to not be able to communicate effectively but still close enough to steal a few glances. Isaac seemed pissed off and interrupted Mr. Harris asking to go to the bathroom after exchanging a few words with Scott. Harris permitted it but when Scott jumped, claiming he had to go to, Lana knew that something was up after what happened at cross country practice. “Mr. McCall, if your bladder suddenly exploded and urine began to pour from every orifice, I would still respond ‘one at a time.’” Lana rolled her eyes, not needing that mental image in a class that she already dreaded with every fiber of her being. “Was that enough hyperbole for you or would you like me to come up with something more vivid.” Lana couldn’t help but think of how unnecessary Harris’ response to Scott was.

Selene sighed as she stood with Ethan and Aiden in the hall. "I don't like this idea," she muttered as they waited for Isaac. She stood behind the twins so that she wouldn't get in the way when the plan started.

“Aw, c’mon Selene,” Aiden smirked. “It’ll be fun, especially after Scott broke Ethan’s jaw.”

“This will be good,” Ethan agreed, preparing himself for the beating he was about to get. Isaac stepped out of the chemistry class, wanting to confront the twins, but they surprised him when Aiden grabbed Ethan and shoved his head into the lockers. This happened multiple times until Aiden threw Ethan at Isaac’s feet and left the scene with Selene.

“Did you all hear something?” Mr. Harris asked his class, heading towards the door. “Sounded like a fight.” This got everyone’s attention, including Lana’s; she had a feeling it had to do with Isaac. She was proven right when the class rushed out to the hall only to find a bloodied Ethan on the ground and Isaac standing before him. He looked back and immediately looked to Lana, nervous to see her reaction, but was relieved upon seeing it. Lana knew that Isaac didn’t do that, as much as he may have liked to; his hands were clean. Mr. Harris assigned Isaac lunchtime detention before they got back to class. While they were heading back in, Lana caught the sight of a decorated locker. It belonged to a guy named Kyle that was in ROTC, and it appeared to be a memorial. Lana had a feeling that he was the body that was found earlier. Lana met up with Selene for lunch, curious to see if she would say anything about earlier.

Selene was already sitting at a table waiting for Lana to come. Since the fight, she stayed with Aiden despite feeling slightly intimidated by him after what had happened. While out of class, Selene also visited the locker that paid tribute to the sacrifice victim Kyle. Lana sat across from Selene, barely picking at her lunch. After the day’s events, she didn’t have much of an appetite. Lana looked over and caught a glimpse of Aiden’s hands and saw a bit of blood underneath one of his nails. It must have been Ethan’s from earlier. She wasn’t sure what to think of everything that had been going on.

Selene followed Lana's vision and looked at Aiden’s hands; she had cleaned them up after the fight earlier. Selene sighed. "Are we going to talk about this?" she asked them quietly.

“They’re probably going to retaliate,” Lana guessed. “Isaac and Scott, they’re probably gonna fight back. Just expect it.” She hadn’t heard from Isaac, but she could only assume that they were plotting something before and after lunchtime detention. “I’ll be right back; I’m going to the bathroom.” Lana stood, heading down the hall towards the nearest girls’ restroom.

Selene nodded and glanced up at the clock. "Lunchtime detention started," she looked over at Aiden. "Guess we should go finish this off". Aiden nodded as the two left to meet up with Ethan. The three of them stood outside the supply closet that Isaac and Allison were currently in. "Remember how I said I didn't like this idea? Well I still don't like this idea," Selene told the twins who just ignored her and pushed the vending machine in front of the door, trapping Allison and Isaac inside.

While inside the bathroom, Lana heard the sound of something heavy sliding down the hallway. She then heard someone banging on a door, what sounded like shouting or screaming and a faint roar that sounded like a werewolf. After the scream she heard the sound of something heavy sliding down the hall once again and after washing her hands, she ran out and peered around the corner to see what was going on. She saw Allison Argent holding her arm and Scott on the ground with his hand around Isaac’s throat.

“Isaac!” Scott roared, but Isaac only calmed. His eyes were shining gold. She looked over and saw the janitor’s closet and it didn’t take her very long to figure out what had happened.

“Isaac!” she called out, not caring that Scott and Allison were there. Scott looked over to her, his hand still on Isaac’s throat. “Move, McCall!” she demanded, but Scott didn’t move.

“Lana?”

“I said move!” she repeated, and Scott complied, not sure what to think as Lana leaned over Isaac. “Isaac,” she whispered, her hand finding his face. “I’m here. You’re gonna be okay. I’m here.” She knew exactly what she had to do to calm him down; it was typical protocol for whenever he would breakdown after being locked in the freezer. Lana locked eyes with Isaac as she spoke, stroking his face and some of his hair, resulting in him calming down and shifting back to being completely human.

“Lana,” Isaac whispered, pulling her into a hug. He pulled away, leaning against the wall but pulled her over to hold her; it was soothing for him.

“You two know each other?” Scott questioned. Scott was very suspicious after seeing Lana hanging out with Aiden and Ethan a few times.

“She was my best friend,” Isaac explained to Scott, “before all this happened.” Scott, Allison and Isaac began discussing how Isaac had scratched Allison but it wasn’t his fault. He was so heartbroken that he had hurt anybody, but Lana knew how to put him at ease. After Scott and Allison left, Isaac looked to Lana and kissed her forehead. “Thank you.”

“Any time,” Lana smiled at him. “I should get back to Selene, don’t want to raise any suspicion.”

“Right,” Isaac nodded. “I’ll see you tonight, though?”

“Absolutely.” Lana and Isaac shared a quick kiss before Lana returned to the cafeteria, not-so-accidentally bumping into a random person on the way to mask some of Isaac’s smell to Aiden and Ethan.

Selene sat with Ethan and Aiden back at their table as she waited for Lana. The three of them had heard most of the incident and the twins seemed pretty proud of themselves. Selene smiled as Lana re-joined them. "Hey there girly," she said casually.

“Hey,” Lana gave a small smile.

“Something is bothering you,” Ethan noticed about Lana. “What’s wrong?”

“It’s these murders,” Lana shrugged. “Aren’t any of you scared that any one of us could be next?”

“That guy that they found in the woods, he wasn’t a virgin though,” Aiden looked at her. “And I know the three of us aren’t either, so-”

“I wasn’t talking about virgins, Aiden,” Lana corrected him. “Every single target has been a student. What if that’s where they’re picking subcategories from?”

“Relax, Lana,” Ethan smiled at her. “It’ll be fine.”

“But it’s not fine!” Lana persisted. “Innocent people are dying. That’s where I draw a line, and you know that. Otherwise I wouldn’t have ended up with you guys in the first place.”

"It might not even be students though," Selene stated. "We just have to wait it out a little more, wait for more information to come."

“I can’t just sit here and let people get killed,” Lana’s head found her hands. She picked up her lunch tray, which still had half of her lunch on it, and tossed it in the trashcan that was next to their table. She grabbed a breath mint from her bag as she sighed.

“You can’t give yourself that responsibility,” Ethan frowned. “Like Selene said, there isn’t even enough real solid evidence out there yet.”

“I just feel like we should be trying to help,” Lana looked up at him and Aiden. “Besides, if Deucalion wants Scott in his pack,” she whispered, leaning over to them, “maybe we should stop making them think that we’re the ones killing people, yeah?”

"If we wanted to kill someone we would have just slashed their throat and left their body for dead. A threefold death seems like a very unlikely way of murder from a werewolf," Selene stated.

“Yeah, and they’re not the sharpest tools in the shed,” Lana reminded Selene, “in case you all haven’t noticed. The only one who doesn’t think it’s connected to us is the human Stiles that they never seem to listen to.” The bell rang, signaling them to start heading to their next class, English with the new teacher Miss Blake.

"I don't get that; like he's the sheriff’s kid, wouldn't he know the most about stuff like this?" Selene questioned as the four of them sat in their seats. Not too long after Scott sat down on the other side of Ethan and grinned at the group. "What?" Selene asked Scott as the group looked at him.

Scott slowly began taking pieces of Aiden’s bike from his bag, grinning as he continued doing such. Ethan tried holding Aiden back, but he was too heated and too rash. He leaped from his seat as Miss Blake began talking, running out of the room and down the hallway.

"Aiden!" Selene yelled at him before looking at Lana and Ethan, who gave her a knowing look. "Aw shit," she muttered before getting up and chasing after him. By the time Selene found him, Isaac had flipped over his shoulders leaving Aiden standing at his bike, just in time for the rest of the class to join them. Lana sighed, knowing that this was nothing more than a big, fat ‘I told you so’ to the twins and Selene. Aiden had earned suspension for Scott, Isaac and Allison’s retaliation as the rest of the class headed back into the classroom. As the school day came to a close, the twins told Lana and Selene to not bother waiting up for them, since they had some business to take care of.

"They're going to get back at them aren't they?" Selene asked Lana as they walked outside. "I have to make sure they don't anything stupid," she groaned, turning back to the school.

“Probably,” Lana rolled her eyes. “I’ll be at the apartment. I don’t want to stick around for this. Are you sure you don’t just want to leave them be?”

Selene paused, looking between Lana and the school. "No, I have to make sure they don't get into even more trouble," she said as she began running back into the school.

“Do you want me to wait for you?” Lana called to her.

"It’s up to you!" Selene called back before entering the school. She pushed through Scott and Isaac just as the twins started to strip their shirts. "Boys don't even think about it!" she warned but it was too late. "I'd run," Selene told Scott and Isaac, walking offside to the lockers to get out of the twins’ way.

Lana got in her car and turned the air conditioning on, figuring she’d be a good friend and wait for Selene. As she did such, she saw Deucalion enter, knowing that he knew what was about to happen. As Ethan and Aiden caught up to a running Scott and Stiles, throwing them down the hall, Deucalion entered. Selene sighed as she watched the twins throw around Scott and Isaac; to be honest, she knew that her being there probably wouldn't have made a difference. Hearing a tapping sound, Selene turned to see her dad walking down the hall with an unhappy look on his face. Pushing off of the lockers she walked over to Deucalion and followed him to where Ethan and Aiden were.

After Deucalion cut the twins with his cane, Selene led him out with the twins following behind them. Once outside she left him with the twins and made her way over to Lana's car. "Well that was pointless," she muttered while getting in. She smiled at Lana. "Thank you for waiting"

“Any time, baby girl,” Lana winked as she put the car in drive, pulling out of the Beacon Hills High parking lot and headed back to their apartment.