Status: Complete.

High School Sweetheart

High School Sweetheart

“Johnny … what is that?” Brooklyn said, pointing discreetly at the fancy envelope resting against her – so far – empty champagne glass.

“Why don’t you open it and find out …”

Image

Dear Brooklyn,

I was selected first overall in the 2003 WHL draft. Thankfully, I choose a different path.

The decision to leave home at fifteen, to attend Shattuck St. Mary’s, was no doubt a difficult one. I know it was for you too. Yet, I always knew it was the right one for me. Now, a two-time Stanley Cup Champion, that is as clear as it’ll ever be. But, what made it the best decision of my life has nothing to do with hockey, and everything to do with you. So, from the bottom of my heart, thank you for being equally brave.

I still remember the first time I laid eyes on you. I mean, how can I possibly forget? It was as if the world around me stopped at that exact moment. You, the most beautiful girl I had ever seen, were sitting against a tree, completely engrossed in the book you were reading. The Great Gatsby, right? Needless to say, you squeaked loudly when I unexpectedly managed to get a nervous ‘hello’ out. Little did I know at the time, that we would be carving our names into that very same tree a couple of months later. Did you? I wouldn’t be surprised if you did; you’ve always been the brainy one in our relationship.

We were still in high school when I first met you
Even then you were the prettiest girl that I ever knew
And we carved our name on everything that we could find
The way that all kids do


However, that was only the beginning for us. We’ve been through so much, both good and bad, since that day. I can only hope that there’s much more to come in the future. I want to experience everything with you by my side. But still, ten years; can you believe it? I know I can’t. I guess it’s true what they say about time flying by when you’re having fun. Ten years in you’re still, by far, the most amazing girl in the world. In fact, you are my world. Every time I look at you I get blown away. It’s almost as if that feeling of seeing you for the first time is repeating itself over and over again. I sincerely hope you know that. I’m so grateful that I have you in my life, even though I’ll never quite understand what I did to deserve you.

And although time has passed I still get surprised at the pulling in my chest
When I know you’re coming by
If this feeling’s proving anything it’s not everything is gonna change with time
You’re still mine


Deep down I know you’ve always been somewhat insecure of yourself; despite being super sweet, crazy smart and absolutely gorgeous. I don’t understand that. You know I don’t. But, it only makes you that much more special. It’s like you don’t realize how perfect you actually are. Maybe that’s a good thing though, or you’d make my life hell, wouldn’t you? No, I’m just kidding! But seriously, don’t ever doubt yourself or what you mean to me. You’re it for me. You have been ever since we first met. That day was the game changer. There was no going back after that. And there never will be.

Don’t ever ask me if I’m sorry or that I’m here with you
Baby you can bet I don’t regret the girls I never knew
Every day’s another first another chance for me to fall in love with you
And I do…


In many ways I believe you’re the reason behind my success as a hockey player too. Yes, I have worked extremely hard to get to where I am today. I’ve also, along with my family, sacrificed a lot to reach my dream of playing in the NHL. But, you make me better in every sense of the word. You give me the stability I need off the ice, to perform well on the ice. And the confidence you have in me, it seems to be never ending. So much that I’ve reached a point in my life where I don’t really see myself ever failing. You should know my confidence in you is no different. I think so highly of you! However, I know I’m not as good as you at communicating that. Being a man of very few words is both a blessing and a curse, I guess. It’s also the main reason behind this letter. Because let’s be honest, I would never have been able to get all of this out otherwise. I would’ve just stood in front of you, tongue tied, looking into your big sparkling eyes like a fool. Eventually I would’ve surrendered and kissed you deeply, in loss for the appropriate words. Quite frankly, that wouldn’t have been enough this time.

Oh… When you’re with me I stop seeing
Any way to fail how do I explain
I try to tell you what I’m feeling
But how do I when all words pale


With all that said, I believe there’s only one more important thing left for me to add …

Image

“Brooklyn Marie Jacobs, I love you so, so much. You really have no idea, babe. So, will you please make me the happiest man alive and marry me?”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the first story I've ever posted on Mibba, so I'm a little nervous. Anyway, I hope you liked it. Feel free to give me feedback - I'd really appreciate it.