Status: Active

After Death

now you're here & you don't know why.

I don't know what I expected when I died. I never really gave much thought to what it would be like. A lot of people wonder, but I never did. Not until I was dying, anyway. Or rather, right before I died.

Is it a black void of nothingness? Heaven? Hell? Your next life?

Those thoughts were the last ones that crossed my mind when my car hydroplaned and crashed head on into a tree.

I don't remember anything between then and now. All I remember is crashing and then the next thing I know is that, wherever the fuck I'm at is very cold and highly uncomfortable.

Sound returns to me bit by bit, the first being the sound of rain and then the faint sound of a girl laughing. High pitched and bubbly, sweet enough to give you a damn toothache.

I open my eyes and find myself staring up at cloudy grey sky through raindrop splattered glasses. It takes me a minute to figure out why I'm so uncomfortable, the reason being that I'm laying in the middle of the street in a giant, ever growing puddle of water.

I sit up slowly, feeling cold water run down my face and neck as I pull off my beanie and wring it out the best I can. The damn thing is still dripping after five twists.

I sigh and tug it back on, wiping my glasses on a miraculously dry portion of my sleeve before standing up. The squelch my sneakers make when I stand up is a sound I hate and it grates on my nerves as I step out of the puddle.

What in the hell am I doing in the middle of the street? Did I black out and somehow wonder from the car?

I only have a brief moment to ponder this before a maroon SUV drives through the puddle and straight through me. I crumple like a tin can, feeling like I've been punched in the gut.

What the fuck just happened?

Eventually the pain subsides and I stand again, bolting to the other side of the street when I spot another car coming. I run up onto the curb, grabbing ahold of an iron banister to my left to keep myself from falling into another puddle.

The bubbly laugh reaches my ears again, much louder this time followed by a brief sentence uttered in the same high pitch as before.

"Looks like we have a new recruit."

I glance up, hands still gripping the railing, and see a petite girl bounding down the steps. She comes to a stop three steps above me and eyes me thoughtfully as she twists a lock of hair around her fingers.

"Where's your mark?" She says, sounding puzzled and eerily childlike. "Riv! There's no mark on this one! Is he your's?"

What is she talking about?

"Excuse me-"

She turns and bounds back up the steps yelling at the top of her lungs as she goes.

"Riv, you asshat! Get back out here and do your damn job!"

She disappears through a set of sturdy looking doors, leaving me on my own.

Well, there went figuring out what she meant.

I sigh, stuffing my hands in my pockets as I go up the steps and investigate the plaque by the doors.

"Saint Paul's. Huh, must be a church or something..." I walk back to the edge of the stairs and lean against the railing just as the doors swing open. "Excuse me, could you please tell me where I am? I think I'm lo-"

"That's him." The petite girl interrupts, pointing directly at me. " Like I said, he's not one of mine. There's no trace of my mark on him anywhere. Mine look like they're glowing remember?"

I raise an eyebrow, wondering not only who she's talking to but also how long she intends to refer to me by pointing at me and acting like I can't hear her.

"I have a name, just so you know."

She only continues to ignore me and stalks back into the church, returning a moment later with someone in tow.

"You didn't find out his name." A new voice says, a guy this time.

"Names don't matter, Riv. Just look at him and figure out if he's your's or not." She insists, pulling him around the door and to a stop in front of me.

"Uh, hi?" I offer, watching as he glances at me and then at the girl behind him.

"Harlow where did you find him?"

"He was standing at the bottom of the steps. Why?"

"Harlow," he starts, gesturing to me with one hand while he turns to face her. "he's not a soul. He's a reaper, like us."
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment, reccomend, or subscribe if you wish to do so. Your thoughts are appreciated. :3

Chapter title credit: Vertical Horizon - "Everything You Want".

Harlow, River, and Hollis (the narrator of this tale).